Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Some sect of Paganism [open] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:16 pm
intro:
my version of paganism is personal to me.

I have never been trained, mentored, or helped along. i formed this by myself, along with the help of information coming both from the internet (omg, how horrible) and various books. this being said, if i am using words or names which are completely inappropriate for what i am describing, please let me know. if you need clarification, please ask.

EDIT: i'll need to put more research into the Gaia theory before i can talk about it in too much detail. the Gaia Theory can be found here for anyone who wants to read it more thoroughly.

second edit: i did as Tea suggested and got...questionable results. I asked my deity her name and she refused to tell me. she claimed it was unimportant and that i would be "unable to pronounce it". my faith itself has not wavered, but my opinion of this deity is less firm.

i'm re-doing this thread. i used the general template and, upon a second look, i realized that is not how i look at my religion. it just isn't. so...i'm working on it.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
beliefs:
the central deity is the spirit of the earth. it's a female deity; i'm certain of this.

she is the core of everything we see, hear, and feel (taste and smell too). she isn't everywhere (she isnt in space and she isnt in the trees and rocks), but she touches everything--rocks, birds, humans, grass, etc--enabling it to live.
She is not the only deity--there are others, but i have yet to form a conclusive bond with them and thus do not feel qualified to talk about them.
the universe consists of more planes than the physical plane which we interact on. most texts call this the astral plane, but i mean more than that. some of these worlds are parallel to ours while some are not. crossing from one world to the next requires great spiritual (or magical, i suppose) power. i've never done it (i admit i'm far from possessing "great" spiritual power).  

in the flicker.

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:20 pm
magic:
for me, magic does not play a central role. magic is, however, a part of my faith. magic is used to aid oneself or others. the magic itself comes from the chaos field (it will be explained in the creation myth section)
while faith in magic is important and may help to accomplish the tast, it is not required. magic will work no matter what you think.
as for sacred tools...i use a candle and crystals, along with some incense.
and, depending upon the spell, i may also make some sort of concoction to accompany the ritual.
i rarely do magic; i just dont need much. i usually just ask my deity for help.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:26 pm
other creatures:
yes. there are other creatures than those in your science books.
i have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to cross paths with some of these. one in particular serves as a sort of spirit guide to me. i call him Zekellion. He just hangs around and talks to me when i'm lonely or in need of guidance, you know.
he's not the only one. there are other beings which exist in our realm, beyond what we can see with our eyes.
some creatures are kind and some are not. i dont really have names for them, but the best way i can describe them is like the bible does: angels and demons. angels being benevolent, demons being malicious. as in the catholic faith, there are different levels of benevolence and malice. and of course, there are those neutral beings which do whatever, whenever.
these creatures have crossed from their normal realm into ours. i'm sure some humans have done the same; you just dont hear about them because...well, they're gone.  

in the flicker.

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:28 pm
creation myth:

i believe in the chaos theory. i couldn't explain it better than Hiram Gordon Wells.
Quote:

Chaos is the field that underlies all things which exist. In the beginning there was Chaos. Before the big bang all order was bound into the monoblock, a point smaller than an electron. All else was Chaos. After the big bang the various dimensions of order were spontaneously created by the inherent symmetry of the original matrix. These dimensions continue to expand through the continuum, but still the underlying Chaos remains active and potent. The nature of the Chaos field is dimly understood. Is it the complete absence of order, or does it correspond to an order not comprehended by Man? Fundamentally it is the uncoordinated source of creation. From Chaos does creation rise, to be formed by other forces. The Greeks called this the Cornocopia; a twisted tube within which is nothingness, but from the mouth of which spews all manner of things. This is interestingly similar to modern theories concerning black holes. Physicists, such as Stephen Hawking, postulate that the structure of black holes may be that of a twisted tube, (called a "wormhole"), within which is a chaos without any predictable physical laws, (called a "singularity"). Further it is stated that these wormholes may have a terminus in another spatial/ temporal/dimensional location, (called a "white hole"). It is a matter of form passing through chaos becoming form again in another aspect. Here is a quality of the Chao s field, that it serves to reprocess matter/energy, breaking them down into components so that it may be reused in the various dimensional matrixes. In these matrixes, our universe for instance, the energy matrixes that form planets, stars, bodies, minds, etc, cannot be entirely broken apart, they retain some similarity. For example, the energy matrix of a body, upon deactivation of the governing principle, goes on to combine with similar matrixes. The corpse feeds the tree and the worm. It reshapes the consumed matrix into simil ar organic constructions. If this combining is delayed, say by isolation within volcanic rock, than the matrix will combine with the less energetic rock, the process of fossilization. With sentient creatures there are actually two matrixes working in combination, the physical matrix and the mental matrix. What has been said about physical matrixes generally applies to the mental, with this difference; that where the physical is usually recombined, except when the matrix is very weak or more energy is required to m aintain equilibrium in t he Chaos field, the mental rarely recombines, (this is termed possession when it combines with an already functioning matrix and called reincarnation when it uses a latent matrix ), instead it usually enters the Chaos field, wherein various things may occur. A special set of circumstances applies to mental matrixes in Chaos. These may be generalized in three ways:

1.It may be reprocessed; When this occurs the individual matrix is broken down completely. This is dissolution.
2.It may be partially reprocessed; It sometimes happens that mental matrixes enter Chaos, but the primal will to exist is strong enough to prevent it from being completely reprocessed. in these cases the intellectual qualities do not survive, but the remainder retains some integrity. These are just machines of a sort, what Qabalahists refer to as Qliphoths, (shells).
3.It may preserve its integrity; It may be that the individuals mental matrix is possessed of not only a strong will to exist, but also of a powerfully focused intellectual fixation. the individual matrix can preserve its discreetness if it can maintain clarity, a very difficult thing to do during conditions of discorporation. Managing this feat will raise another question, "what now?"

The individual cannot retain itself in the Chaos field indefinitely, it would inevitably break apart. Therefore the mind must travel. This raises another quality of Chaos. The chaos field has no dimensions, no time, no distance, at least in our mode of thinking. Basic laws that apply in the dimensional matrixes do not apply in Chaos. Different objects can occupy the same space at the same time, effect can proceed cause, and every point in every location is congruent. Everything is everywhere, always. One can enter Chaos from any particular location, and exit it at any other particular dimensional location, assuming integrity is preserved. The major difficulty i n this m ode of travel is navigation. A very nearly infinite number of choices is presented, no easy task sorting this out, and once one makes his exit, his individual matrix will adapt itself to local conditions, perhaps forgeting himself entirely. Most people have no idea where it is they want to be, in fact many do not even know where they are. They would become lost. There is a method for successful navigation. This method is possible because it is not required to die in order to enter the Chaos field. Travelling the Chaos is referred to by the vulgar as "astral travel". Few understand the nature of this. They use it as a sort of mental vacationing, talking to cretinous shells and gawking at illusions. The inhabitants of Chaos are generally useless to the individual, exceptions perhaps being other more experienced travellers (not al ways human), who might provide some insight. There, as here, you must always be on the lookout for charlatans. The use of travelling chaos before death is that it is much easier to keep individual integrity while possessing a body. The individuals body acts as a beacon to draw back the wandering mind. If the individual wants to use the Chaos field to plot his after life travel plans, it is required that the person know his true Will, for this will tell him where it would be best for him to ma nifest. Without this the individual can not go to where he should be, for he would not know what, or where, this is. But knowing ones true will in this area will raise sympathies which will lead one to his particular "portal of becoming". It is important to avoid facination, or the individual may find himself getting exactly what he thinks he wants, which may be hideously inappropriate. The chaos field is not in itself horrible, although it contains some horrors. Chaos is not hell, although it is inhabited by some types of demons. It is potential, the realm where possibility is born. It is the Apsu, the abyss of the Babylonians. The place of naked, formless creation. It becomes existant when given form by Enki, which is Wisdom and Intellect.

thats my creation myth.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:30 pm
worship:
i do not worship my deity in the conventional sense. my form of worship is more of a personal respect and understanding toward her. i do pray to her occasionally, but not on a regular basis. when i pray to her, she talks back. it does no require a certain ritual, but i do generally meditate and ground myself to the earth because i feel it gets me closer to her.

i just talk to her when i feel like it's been a while. or sometimes...she contacts me, and thats oh-so-fun...not. she usually contacts me to tell me i'm doing something wrong...  

in the flicker.

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:31 pm
holidays:
i celebrate the summer and winter solstice as well as the autumnal and spring equinoxes. i personally believe that all myths (which i have read) are credible when it comes to these holidays. to me it isn't about why it happened, really. the myths serve as a measure of our desire to know and understand and be closer to my deity. that's enough. in addition to the major holidays, i also celebrate whenever i feel like it. i know that sounds strange and fluffy-ish, but let me explain. because i know she touches everything, i believe that is cause to celebrate her work everywhere, whenever. i celebrate about as much as i pray: whenever i feel the need, and on the holidays.

the holidays have specific themes as well. i'm sure you already know these:

spring equinox: is when the goddess gets her strength back and wakes up from her slumber, reaching up to touch the grass and flowers, making them grow. its rebirth.

summer solstice: She is at her full strength and the fruit which started to blossom in spring is now coming to term. it is also preperation for the fall when things start to decline (as tea pointed out: ripened fruits generally spoil quickly).

autumnal equinox: she starts to wane, readying for a nap. she is like the bear, though, and uses this time to feast and get ready for the long slumber ahead: winter.

winter solstice: in many paths which i've read about, the theme here is death. but personally, i think it snows and things die because she is resting. its a time for rest and slumber.

the holidays are more than a time for revelry and respect (those two go hand in hand, indeed). the holidays provide a perfect time to do magic. on the holidays, magic is more easily accessible.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:32 pm
conclusion:
i celebrate the earth.
if i'm doing anything completely inappropriate, let me know. i dont have much to go on. if i remember something i should have added, i'll add it in the appropriate place.

and...i appreciate your help/inquiries.  

in the flicker.

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:32 pm
A couple questions-
Is there a reason you call your deity after another's name?

The application of the Holidays strikes me as odd to a certain extent. Mid summer as a harvest holiday is very strange to my mind as most of the key spring crops are falling away and most of the key autumn crops haven't really taken a firm hold.

Really it's when a fair portion of the stone fruit and the berries are ripe, but all that fruit isn't harvested in the traditional sense- as they spoil quickly when ripe.

Of course- this is coming from a very pragmatic point of view.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:45 pm
i call her Gaia because i read it *somewhere* that Gaia is the name used for the spiritual essence of the physical being we know to be mother Earth. it comes from Greek mythology (and i know, culture rape). Is the deity i am describing better termed a different name? which? she responds to it. more information on the Gaia theory/philosophy can be found here: hypothesis and philosophy. while i do not necessarily believe ALL the things on these pages (i know wikipedia can be unreliable, if you have other sources to point me to, i would appreciate it) the basics are there.

i think you're right about midsummer; i dont..know why i wrote that. i was under the impression (i am not a farmer, btw) that crops such as oranges and corn came to term around midsummer.
perhaps ripe is what i was looking for....

thanks for responding; these are questions which need to be asked.  

in the flicker.

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 pm
kirio26
i call her Gaia because i read it *somewhere* that Gaia is the name used for the spiritual essence of the physical being we know to be mother Earth. it comes from Greek mythology (and i know, culture rape). Is the deity i am describing better termed a different name? which? she responds to it. more information on the Gaia theory/philosophy can be found here: hypothesis and philosophy. while i do not necessarily believe ALL the things on these pages (i know wikipedia can be unreliable, if you have other sources to point me to, i would appreciate it) the basics are there.

i think you're right about midsummer; i dont..know why i wrote that. i was under the impression (i am not a farmer, btw) that crops such as oranges and corn came to term around midsummer.
perhaps ripe is what i was looking for....

thanks for responding; these are questions which need to be asked.

Not saying you're wrong. Just questioning why you would call it by another's name.

Corn ripens around the beginning of August where I am. Oranges depends on the breed and location. Myself, being in Western Washington- I get the best oranges in late September.

I'm not really a farmer either- but I have friends and family that are. Plus, I spend lots of time in friend's guardens- in exchange for nummy treats.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:35 pm
so i'm close-ish with the ripening; i live in north-ish GA. but you're right, i'll have to do some more research to figure out midsummer.

i mean, i'm not saying that i'm right and blah blah, but...which deity is also named Gaia (besides the Greek goddess)? i'm just curious. i dont want to get mixed up.  

in the flicker.

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:51 am
kirio26
i mean, i'm not saying that i'm right and blah blah, but...which deity is also named Gaia (besides the Greek goddess)? i'm just curious. i dont want to get mixed up.
I tend not to push deities into their lowest common denominators. It's a worldview thing for me.

That being said- the information you asserted as your position isn't tied into Gaia Philosophy in and of itself.

If you are working with a personified avatar of the Natural World, then to call her by the name of another deity, unless you know her to be Gaia, mother of a fair portion of other Greek deities. I mean- what if she was Mokosh? Or Mahimata- or any of another hundred dozen deities.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:11 pm
i believe...i am making an idiot of myself, of my own doing.

i'm pretty sure i understand what you're saying and i think you have a good point which i need to ponder: my calling her gaia is quite possibly incorrect; i've only done so because of "The more speculative versions of Gaia, including versions in which it is held that the Earth is actually conscious and highly intelligent..." this statement, which is describes my veiw of the deity. calling the deity gaia on those grounds is...slightly ludacrious.

or at least, that is what i have gathered from your statement; i could just be...making more of an idiot of myself. i admit i'm still figuring this out. thanks for pointing these things out. if i have misunderstood...then please explain what you mean.  

in the flicker.

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 am
To begin, I don't think you're being an idiot.

You said yourself you're still learning.

Nothing about your world view I have seen is invalid to my eyes, I merely question two applications there of.

The deity you work with my very well be Gaia. I don't know the sum of your experiences, thus do not have enough information to discount the possibility.

However- "versions in which it is held that the Earth is actually conscious and highly intelligent" can be applied to a number of cultural deities. Too many to count.

The Greek Gaia, the Slavic Mokosh, the Hindu Mahimata, there are so many I can't name them all.

Were I on your end of this exchange, I would ask her the name she wishes to be called, and test her to be sure I was speaking to who she claims to be. But then- I'm in a habit of testing other beings on GP.  
PathWays

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff