Reply Extended Discussion
What does Goth Mean? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lostsoul052204

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:57 pm
Just what the title says. I want to know what Goth mean to you or what you think it is.  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:02 pm
It was originallya subculture of the Punk scene in britain. they chose the name because the architecture was so dark it fit their scene. now i think it's been perverted by thinks like the colombine shooting and the religious groups relating it to satanists who arent really the true version of satanists. Goth is just a mind set i know people that i consider goth who dress in jeans and a t-shirt but have similar tastes to those who dress in Tripp bondage pants and a trenchcoat over a witty t-shirt with fishnet. I think we need to stop using stereotypes and classification. but thats just me.  

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

themagikat

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:20 pm
i hate to argue but how is gothic architexture dark? it was invented to be brighter as compared to the original structure of arches.

originally, churches and temples were built with arches and very thick walls that couldnt have many windows or much light shine in them at all. they felt very claustrophopic and hte people wanted something more. Thus the gothic architexture came about by changing the arches into pointed arches. This way, the walls could be thinner and the windows could be much larger. The problem is that because of the change, the design was actually a bit weaker than the original arch structure so they had to add flying buttresses on all of the walls (the supports) to keep it standing.

but yes, goth is a mindset. its also sadly a stereotype with a pretty bad name amongst most people but to each is their own i suppose  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm
themagikat
i hate to argue but how is gothic architexture dark? it was invented to be brighter as compared to the original structure of arches.

originally, churches and temples were built with arches and very thick walls that couldnt have many windows or much light shine in them at all. they felt very claustrophopic and hte people wanted something more. Thus the gothic architexture came about by changing the arches into pointed arches. This way, the walls could be thinner and the windows could be much larger. The problem is that because of the change, the design was actually a bit weaker than the original arch structure so they had to add flying buttresses on all of the walls (the supports) to keep it standing.

but yes, goth is a mindset. its also sadly a stereotype with a pretty bad name amongst most people but to each is their own i suppose

idark metaphorically, not literally,not until the gothic style did gargoyls begin to be placed on cathedrals. i also meant the gothic style horror such as dracula. which probably was the main cause of the name. this is how absent minded i become after 1 am  

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

themagikat

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:28 pm
np. im not fighting or anything, just trying to be a know-it-all.

thats how mindless i get after midnight  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:42 pm
Actually, words goth and gothic came from a bunch of barbarian tribes from the north in europe, at the time it got its name, the romanesque style was in, and gothic was new. Because it was different from romanesque, it was naturally unliked by those whom thought romanesque was the best of the two, and thought this new style was plain ugly or barbaric, so they called it goth. You can apply the same concept to the gothic subculture and society today, because its different and not considered 'normal' by society, they labeled it ugly, so they called it goth.  

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

themagikat

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:40 pm
yeah. i was refering to the architechture, you with the history and dr. lecter with the metaphorical sense, so i think we are all correct but on different levels. perhaps its safe to say that the term gothic as it is used today comes from a variety of different backgrounds and histories?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:45 pm
themagikat
yeah. i was refering to the architechture, you with the history and dr. lecter with the metaphorical sense, so i think we are all correct but on different levels. perhaps its safe to say that the term gothic as it is used today comes from a variety of different backgrounds and histories?
ha... actually i started with a lil history, then went to the architecture, romanesque was the style before gothic, and because it was different than romanesque... well...  

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

themagikat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:25 pm
alright...w/e, lol. trying to even the score but w/e.

goth is good.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:14 pm
actually..gothic archatecture is described as [light, height, and harmony] its romanesque that is [heavy, dark, and massive]. We have to take religion at my school and we studied different types of cathedral stuff.  

Raevenxlady

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:18 pm
Raevenxlady
actually..gothic archatecture is described as [light, height, and harmony] its romanesque that is [heavy, dark, and massive]. We have to take religion at my school and we studied different types of cathedral stuff.
i didn't say anything about light or dark now did I? I said those whom favored romanesque (which was most of the population at the time) disliked gothic because it was different, therefore ugly in their eyes, so they named it after the barbarian tribes, since to "civilization" those tribes where undesirable, to say the least.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:24 am
Raevenxlady

uh, thats basically what i said...  

themagikat

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:03 am
Goth(it goes further back than punk, originating in medieval Germany before dying out and reviving) is about coming to terms with death. By embracing it instead of ignoring or running from it one can accept it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:33 pm
Wooooooooow, so many different opinions on what the term "Goth" actually means, I never really knew about everything that you guys just said...........that certainly filled me in. surprised  

AnathematicNarumi

DARK_CHAOS_PRIEST

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:39 am
fo far evryone has most of the term of what it means to be a gith...theres a little detail missing  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff