TatteredAngel
We talk a lot on this guild and elsewhere about what cultural heritage means, who has a right to what, who can claim heritage, etc. Feathers get ruffled and feelings get hurt. Not uncommon, or necessarily a bad thing. People need correction when they’re wrong, and people will be wrong. It just happens. But I see some conversations, and there’s something that bothers me a bit, so I’d just like to see some input on it.

It seems to me a lot of people (mostly young, American people) feel like they’re grasping at straws when trying to figure out their cultural niche. As stated elsewhere, it doesn’t necessarily matter where our ancestors came from, so simply going back to your roots may very well not be the answer. We are, undeniably, part of the American Culture. But that doesn’t necessarily mean anything spiritually. So on a spiritual front, a lot of people feel really uncertain and want to find something they can become a part of. And that’s hard.

I think in part it can be hard to understand what makes someone part of a culture- and where the criteria are. I certainly don’t profess to know. I’ve been living in New Mexico for over a decade. I did a great deal of my growing up here. Am I a part of New Mexican culture? I would like to think so, but I can’t state it with any authority. I am not Native American, and could never be part of any of the particular religions around here. But their religion is also tied heavily into the generic culture here, and it seems that you do not have to be culturally a part of them to have your own encounters with their religious elements. But for someone young and searching, what does that mean? Does it mean that one can have a connection with a native diety figure, if not through the same religious means? Certainly different tribes here have different ways of making contact with their gods, and many here share the same gods.

I’m just asking because I see how it can seem to some people that all they hear is “no,” and when they want something spiritual to connect to, and don’t understand whose rules they may be breaking, it’s a frustrating situation. So outside of all of the things that your generic Heinz 57 mutt with no strong cultural heritage does not have a right to, where can you say they do have, if not a right, at least a chance of building a connection to something they are not already a part of?

Kuroiban
You're question got some gears turning in my head, which might bare some fruit at some point. I'm almost (though not quiet) without culture, in a manor of speaking. I grew up n a rough paralel to counter-culture, but even that is a tenious way of looking at. This really gave me a new spin, or at least another reason, on why I might be having such an issue with moving on theological. THanks for the new perspective. 3nodding

The above quotes where from the thread "Culture and the Modern Angstpuff, posted by TatteredAngel. Perhaps I should be posting this there, but I didn't really want to necro someone else's stuff. Aside of the fact, I'm taking this in a new direction to some degree, so I felt it worth it's own soap-box.

WARNING: This post may or may not make sense to you. I just really need to make my thoughts on this matter public. Even if I open them up to firing squad, I'll be getting somewhere.

I've had a hard time of things, when it comes down to my view on exactly how the forces that be move. To be honest, I have just about nothing to work with at the moment. I can't really even get my bearings most of the time.

Well, this is how things are going for awhile. Then I read Tattered's post and something clicks. I don't know what at the time, but I know I've just read something important. More resently, I finally made sense of things.

Okay. Hard Polytheism vs Soft Polytheism is a can of worms all to itself. I can't really make heads or tails of what I feel here cause I'm fense sitting (Plasma Polytheism?) at the moment. It comes down to the fact that I don't think we can say that every divine being in the universe has been talked to (that's just too conceited of a concept for me to buy) but I don't think you can just will any old diety into existance (I've heard of that whold "Parking Spot God" idea and I think it's the stupidest thing I've had the misfortune of hearing).

Okay, while keeping that idea in your head(s), also balance the following; most people get their ideas about religion from their culture. Me? I'm very culture-less. Well...mostly culutureless. The only thing I have that comes close a culture is the fact that I'm a geek. AD&D, Legend of the Five Rings, and a variety of other things has shaped my formative years more then anything else really. So sad.

So this is what I'm getting to: the only culure icons I have a connection with are obvious fiction. I'm not about to go around praying to Bayushi from Rokugan, or to Torm of the Forgotten Realms. However, those ideas speak to me in ways that nothing else has yet. I know those stories so well, I can call them from memory five seconds after waking up from a dead sleep.

I'm not so ******** fluffy that I'm going to use "Faiths and Avatars" as a religious text. However, I have nothing that really speaks to me so well. This could be a matter of presentation as well. The various stories of these fictional figures are presented in very modern, easy to understand speech.

Honestly? I can't make heads or tails of a lot of the more obtose stuff. A lot of you guys gave me some links for Roman and Celtic Recon, and I coudn't make heads or tails of even a starting point. I'm not a stupid man, but I didn't understand a thing.

So where am I getting with all of this somewhat scattershot? Well, I guess I'm trying to say that I know better then to take the easy way out theologicaly speaking, but that I really have no idea about how to go thru the road less traveled. I've always done better with semi-structured learning enviroments, and I really have nothing of the sort to turn to at the moment.

So yeah, that's where am now. Any thoughts or advice?