Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Vegan 'ice cream'

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whip It Out!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:17 pm
Hokay, so it's not really ice cream. But it's close to it.

Freeze some bananas, and then put them in a food processor or a blender. They get very creamy and smooth. You don't have to add anything. You can put it back in the freezer to set up firmer, or if you don't mind the consistency, eat it as is. =) I made this earlier today, and it completely satisfies the temptation for ice cream.

It's a life saver for me, because I'm lactose intolerant, and this is just frozen fruit. I haven't tried this with other fruit, but I imagine that any would work. I want to try adding some strawberries to the bananas.

Does anyone have other vegan/non-dairy ice cream alternatives out there? =)  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:42 pm
There is a soy-based ice cream that the Wegman's chain of stores sell, can't remember the brand name though. However, its just as bad as regular ice cream calorie-wise, so your banana idea is way healthier ^^ I bet you could mix some berries in with it!

You should check out Zen Soy brand Soy Pudding. It is 100% vegan and certified organic, and tastes AWESOME! Not gonna help an ice cream craving, though...  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:37 pm
As far as vegan ice creams go, I've tried he Rice Dream and Soy Dream brands, and they really don't impress me, though I'll eat them if theres noting else.

There is one brand of vegan ice cream that is awesome though, Tofutti. It tastes almost like real ice cream, except it has a slightly fluffier texture to it.

I've been trying to cut down on junk food lately though, so I'll have to try the bannana thing next time I get bannanas. It sounds delish! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:33 pm
Take your fruit and blend it. Mix some sugar with a little bit of water, cook until yea got a good syrup. Mix your fruit blend with the syrup and free, taking it out to whisk up once and awhile.
I love this stuff. Its just so juicy as its all just real fruit juice. What you can do that really kinky though, is this.

Say your making a orange version. Cut the top off like you would a pumkin making a jackolatern. Scoop out the orange juice and pulp, saving the skin. Then make your frozen dessert like above, but when your done, stuff it back into the orange rind. Its so fantastic, looks so kewl, and yet is so uber easy you have to slap yourself twice. And you can do it with all sorts of things. I did a whole watermelon once! Though watermelon juice isint all that strong so I would suggest adding other flavours to it.

I have been doing this for awhile but just the other day I saw some of them in the grocery store, like like I suggested above. And they were s**t load expensive.
So I guess that makes them uber classy too. smile  

Eye_seE

Badgerkin

Partying Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:37 pm
DreamerSpirit
As far as vegan ice creams go, I've tried he Rice Dream and Soy Dream brands, and they really don't impress me, though I'll eat them if theres noting else.

There is one brand of vegan ice cream that is awesome though, Tofutti. It tastes almost like real ice cream, except it has a slightly fluffier texture to it.

I've been trying to cut down on junk food lately though, so I'll have to try the bannana thing next time I get bannanas. It sounds delish! biggrin

Yeah Toffuti ice cream is awesome! I've fooled my non-vegan family before with it. When I told them it was vegan they said they thought it was as good as dairy ice cream. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:30 pm
Purely Decadent peanut butter ice cream biggrin  

cass769

LETS DO THE MARIO!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:14 pm
Eye_seE
Take your fruit and blend it. Mix some sugar with a little bit of water, cook until yea got a good syrup. Mix your fruit blend with the syrup and free, taking it out to whisk up once and awhile.
I love this stuff. Its just so juicy as its all just real fruit juice. What you can do that really kinky though, is this.

Say your making a orange version. Cut the top off like you would a pumkin making a jackolatern. Scoop out the orange juice and pulp, saving the skin. Then make your frozen dessert like above, but when your done, stuff it back into the orange rind. Its so fantastic, looks so kewl, and yet is so uber easy you have to slap yourself twice. And you can do it with all sorts of things. I did a whole watermelon once! Though watermelon juice isint all that strong so I would suggest adding other flavours to it.

I have been doing this for awhile but just the other day I saw some of them in the grocery store, like like I suggested above. And they were s**t load expensive.
So I guess that makes them uber classy too. smile

That sounds so super cool, I wanna do it for Christmas dessert biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:38 pm
ok I tried the thing with the banana and it turned out like baby food, I put it in the freezer to make it kinda more ice cream like, but it tastes like baby food all the same and yeah  

Peppermint Cherry

[[blunt.object]]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:07 pm
I don't know about ice cream, but I do know how to make delicious popsicles.

Just slice a banana in half (not a slice through from top to bottom, just across the middle). Stick a popsicle stick into the open end. Peel off the peel, wrap it in plastic, and freeze it overnight. Instant popsicle. ^^

You can also expirement sticking different juices in plastic cups, stick a popsicle stick in it, and freeze for a couple days. Then when you're ready to eat them you can just peel off the plastic cup.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:12 am
Sounds good I might try adding some vegan chocolate over it and freezing it

I have an ice cream recipe thats fun to make
(I remember doing this in school when I was younger the only difference is the milk)

Things you need:
Large ziploc bag
Smaller ziploc bag
Ice
2-5 tbls Salt (preferbly rock salt or salt crystals) (I use about 2tbs)
1 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup soy,rice, almond or other alternative milk

What to do:

In the big bag put the Ice and Salt

In the smaller bag put the sugar vanilla and "milk" {close bag} shake a little then place this bag inside the big bag full of ice , shake this for about 5 minutes and it will turn to a simple icecream  

koolchick007

AGVegetarian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:22 am
just fyi, i love frozen bananas  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:28 am
I've gotten really hooked to this one very simple vegan ice-cream thing.

You need oat-based vanilla sauce (shoud be available almost everywhere) and any fruit, chocolate or whatever flavour ice-cream you want to make. I've made many flavours by now, but my favourite ever is mango.. So I'll use that as an example. heart

Put the vanilla sauce into a bowl and mix it, so that it gets a bit air in it and thus gets lighter. Open the mango can (there aren't usually fresh mangos where I live, so I buy tins), chop the fruit (I prefer a lot of it, but this is a taste matter) to little pieces or downright blend it. Mix the mango and vanilla sauce, and add some of the sugary water the mango was in. Then put the whole thing into the freezer for a few hours, and it's ready!

It's usually a bit hard at first (I broke a plastic spoon once..) but if you let it melt a bit, it'll be just right. ^_^

Me and my friends are all very addicted into this, and I think it tastes just like real ice-cream. Try it if you feel like it, and don't hesitate to try different kinds of fruit&such to flavour it. <3  

hide_no_Espy

Catherine teh Vegan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:46 pm
hide_no_Espy
I've gotten really hooked to this one very simple vegan ice-cream thing.

You need oat-based vanilla sauce (shoud be available almost everywhere) and any fruit, chocolate or whatever flavour ice-cream you want to make. I've made many flavours by now, but my favourite ever is mango.. So I'll use that as an example. heart

Put the vanilla sauce into a bowl and mix it, so that it gets a bit air in it and thus gets lighter. Open the mango can (there aren't usually fresh mangos where I live, so I buy tins), chop the fruit (I prefer a lot of it, but this is a taste matter) to little pieces or downright blend it. Mix the mango and vanilla sauce, and add some of the sugary water the mango was in. Then put the whole thing into the freezer for a few hours, and it's ready!

It's usually a bit hard at first (I broke a plastic spoon once..) but if you let it melt a bit, it'll be just right. ^_^

Me and my friends are all very addicted into this, and I think it tastes just like real ice-cream. Try it if you feel like it, and don't hesitate to try different kinds of fruit&such to flavour it. <3

I have to try that.  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff