Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Vegetarian Cookout

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ailinea
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:15 pm
Hehe, sorry for my long absence, but I have a question for you all.

My enviromental/biology club is deciding to host a cookout for a fundraiser at the college. It will be in November or December, I believe. We're going to be cooking all vegetarian foods, and handing out info on the health benefits of being vegetarian. The president contacted PeTA to get pamphlets and stuff, but I told her that we may not get the respect or response we expect if we hand out information from a radical source. I think we're doing it anyway, but we're going to screen what we do hand out.

My question is: does anyone have any suggestions on what we could make for a large amount of people and how much we should charge? I'm just taking suggestions; it may bring to mind some other ideas. Thanks in advance for your help!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:17 pm
I have been to a veggi cook out a few times at Rikkis Refuge. When we went we made baked beans and potato salad. They also made kabobs and veggie hotdogs.  

Henbane
Vice Captain

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:14 pm
One organization which frequently does vegan cooking for large groups of people is Food Not Bombs. They post recipes on how to feed said large groups on their website:

http://www.foodnotbombs.net/bookrecipes.html  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:20 am
Oh, yes, I've heard of them! They're pretty popular in the San Francisco area, apparently.

Thanks for your help guys. ^^ I'll let ya know how it went!  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:28 pm
Sorry I could not help much more than that. The people at the animal refuge don't know how to cook lol and the food was free. We did have a donations jar though but I cannot say how well that went. I hope you have fun!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:15 pm
I love plain old whole veggies just grilled. If you can get your hands on cob corn, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, just throw them on as they are and cut them into edibles later. Not sure how effective this would be for a large crowd, but the smell of the onions would draw ppl your way. 3nodding  

ANGORAPHOBIA

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:46 pm
Here are a few ideas which should be easy to make in large quantities:

Bean Chili
Veggie Burgers
Veggie and Tofu Kabobs
Corn on the Cob
Baked Potatoes
Pasta Salad  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items