Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
S&M activities illegal?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Modified Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:27 pm
There is one source of news I truly trust. His name is Shannon Larrett and he runs BME. Now, I was reading back through Modblog and found this page:

http://modblog.bmezine.com/2006/09/03/illegal-in-the-uk/

This really worries me, especially reading the third comment down.
This article is worth reading too:

http://www.bmezine.com/news/people/A10101/spanner/
http://www.spannertrust.org/

I guess I'm personally worried that by being a member of BME: Hard and having engaged (and photographed) in such 'questionable' activity, that there's a risk I could be jailed for it!

Okay, okay, I know, I'm being OTT I'm sure. However, I'm still worried. I always used to think this kind of ruling just used to happen in weird places in America, in places where consensual a**l sex is outlawed even between married couples.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Sorry if it's not quite everyone's cup of tea.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:13 pm
I think there are still issues with things like consent. As long as everything is consensual then I don't think there is much authorities could do without oppressing people and giving the populace yet more fire to form a revolt.  

Anardana

Magnetic Dabbler

9,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:34 pm
The Marquis De Sade
'Sex without pain is like food without taste'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:24 pm
S & M activities are illegal, the whole mess was exposed in the classic British BDSM movie 'Preaching to the Perverted'.
The Sun and other tabloids started a campaign in the 90's, which lead to some high profile clubs being shut down. The problem is, Psychiatrists in the UK & the Police (more importantly) view the desire to take part in BDSM activities as a mental illness - not as a subculture, so even if you consent to being beaten, the perpetrator is still guilty of assault. It's not fair, but thats the way it is.

You won't get jailed for it UNLESS somebody goes to the police and accuses you of assault. Then nothing, even if you have a piece of paper signed in front of 6 witnesses to say that everything was consensual, can stop you being liable for prosecution. But I can see you are with a loving partner I'm sure you'll be just fine. 3nodding
I too move in this area, and was horrified to find out that I was apparently 'insane'. I'd advise you check out the SkinTwo.co.uk website for current S&M legal advice. (or it used to be good, I haven't looked in 6 months.. sweatdrop )

emmamme

derletztemensch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:19 pm
Modified Mummy
I always used to think this kind of ruling just used to happen in weird places in America, in places where consensual a**l sex is outlawed even between married couples.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Sorry if it's not quite everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:
"Why will the Structure [the State] allow every other kind of sexual behaviour but that one? Because submission and dominance are resources it needs for its very survival. They cannot be wasted in private sex. In any kind of sex. It needs our submission so that it can co-opt us into its own power. There is no joy in it, only power."

"Gravity's Rainbow," Thomas Pynchon.

I think should you should be free to enjoy whatever kind of tea you choose.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games