Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Scotland's independence. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seperate or not?
  Seperate!
  Not!
  Undecided!
View Results

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:44 am
A recent poll shows that Scottish independence is gaining popularity.
Or so it says here.

What do you think? Should it become a seperate country thing?
You have my permission to elaborate on your views.

I'm undecided. I don't know what will change, will it affect the economy?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 am
It is a seperate country.

If you're asking me if Scotland, as a political entity, should be completely seperate from England, Wales and Northern Ireland then I don't know how to comment. I don't really know enough about the United Kingdom politically.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:11 am
Whoops, I'll edit..  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:07 am
No, it wouldn't last five minutes. Its too remote to attract business without major government...bribery, effectively.  

and_solo_said

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:35 am
Bribery?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:44 am
How is it too remote?  

dreaming_mouse

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:41 pm
Deo_Machina
Bribery?

Its how you get companies to move to an undesirable area. You give them money and tax benefits. Its how the regenerated Sheffield.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:44 pm
dreaming_mouse
How is it too remote?

Manufacturing companies like to be close to the market. Its better to locate somewhere like Eastern Europe than it would be to locate in Scotland or Southern Italy because you can ship goods all over Europe more cheaply.

Failing that, they could just locate in some LEDC and make up the cost of shipping in low wages.

and_solo_said

dreaming_mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:03 pm
So if Scotland became independent it'd fall to pieces because they're a few more miles north than England...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:23 pm
dreaming_mouse
So if Scotland became independent it'd fall to pieces because they're a few more miles north than England...

They also have a sparse population and an overreliance on agriculture. Their industrial centres are few and they have none of the business-attracting conurbations like Manchester, Liverpool and Tyneside.

It is a hopeless cause, and I could never support it. For their good and ours.

However, I'm aware that if they pulled themselves away from the Union then the slump in industry and resultant poverty might draw tham back into the UK fold with a greatly beneficial zeal.

The north is, essentially, subsidised by the south. Wales is too.

Their calls for independence are more than just political issues for me though, I can't help but feel a little downhearted too. It shows that they don't think the union is good enough for them anymore, and if that's the case then we've failed rather. There's too little élan in our actions nowadays, it's all so grey.

Invictus_88
Captain

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:37 pm
Does this have the potential to recreate a Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland thing?

I doubt it but..  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:38 pm
No, no,no,no, no, no, NO!!

I don't even see how anyone could think it would work...it's just an unstructured badly thought out idea based on silly romanticism and fading psuedo-patriotism.

The SNP would be a great party for me if they just dropped all this Socttish independance stuff, it seems obvious to me that they want to but they can't wqite bring themselves to cut out what they made the core of the party when it was founded.

If the folks of Scotland in 1707 who didn't want a union but felt they were swayed by greed time-travelled and spent one day here I think they would see that going for the cash was a good move.

What exactly is it that people think we have lost anyway?

Of course, I have no problem with getting our own parliament and a chance to make politics a bit more local, also a spot for a Scottish representitive on the European council wouldn't go amiss, get the fishing sorted and all that.  

ficklefiend
Crew

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:49 pm
Equally, may I just say;

"A majority of English voters think Scottish MPs should be barred from becoming the UK's prime minister, according to a BBC survey."

Bollocks.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:48 am
A number of people in England feel bitter about having to share parliament with the rest of the union.  

and_solo_said

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:30 pm
and_solo_said
A number of people in England feel bitter about having to share parliament with the rest of the union.

A number of people favour withdrawal from Europe, and reestablishment of the British Empire.

That doesn't imbue their ideas with any merit though..

It's a British Parliament - does what it says on the tin.

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games