Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Original Series gets an upgrade!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Destyne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:36 am
On Sept 16, Scifi gets the original series and they are totally redone. Not a BIG overall, but the bloopers are fixed, the Enterprise is 3-D and the Earth is replaced by a picture of the real Earth from space.

It looks really neat to see a little upgrade on the original, but what makes it a classic is the bloopers and such.

You thoughts on this?????  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:02 pm
Do you know what time it'll be on?  

PhotoShopGraffiti

Odin Von Dursfel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:40 pm
eek

MY GOD!!! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?!?!?!

THAT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS MAKING A MOVIE ABOUT KIRK AND SPOCK WITHOUT USING BILL AND LEONARD!!!!

talk2hand  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:29 pm
Destyne
On Sept 16, Scifi gets the original series and they are totally redone. Not a BIG overall, but the bloopers are fixed, the Enterprise is 3-D and the Earth is replaced by a picture of the real Earth from space.

It looks really neat to see a little upgrade on the original, but what makes it a classic is the bloopers and such.

SciFi's been airing the original for YEARS.
Do you have a source for this news item?  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Olafmikli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:27 am
Odin Von Dursfel
eek

THAT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS MAKING A MOVIE ABOUT KIRK AND SPOCK WITHOUT USING BILL AND LEONARD!!!!

talk2hand
They're probably not replacing things, probably just graphically altering things to TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT looks.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:13 pm
Uh...no actually, all their doing is cleaning up the special effects and putting it in HD.

Here's some images from Trekcore that show the remastering
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The ships will be redone in CG. Nothing changed, simply cleaned up. Honestly, I'll miss the cheesy effects and models, but you have to admit, that this is one sexy looking Enterprise

Ken5hachan

Ken5hachan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:15 pm
Steel Sterling
Destyne

SciFi's been airing the original for YEARS.
Do you have a source for this news item?

Direct from Trektoday Read the full Article

Quote:
The original Star Trek is being remastered for future high defintion television syndication as well as eventual release on HD-DVD with new high-definition CG effects.

The Digital Bits reported the story in its Rumor Mill column, which reported previously that CBS Video, which now owns the Star Trek DVDs, was planning to retransfer the original series from film to HD-DVD. All of the Star Trek feature films will be rereleased for HD release as well.

Bill Hunt noted that in a panel discussion at World-Con this weekend, he learned from industry sources that CBS is redoing many of the original series special effects using new CG techniques. "Specifically, they're re-doing all of the spaceship shots," he wrote. "This to me is a very exciting idea...in principle. As anyone who saw the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise will tell you, the old TOS ships look awfully damn good in new CG."
However, Hunt added, CBS is doing this CG work in-house and it is not yet known whether any of Star Trek's longtime effects wizards have worked on the new versions of the episodes. "I tried contacting CBS and their DVD distributor, Paramount, on this subject last week, but there was basically no comment," stated Hunt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:12 pm
Remastering is the digital "cleanup" they demonstrated,
where the colours are enhanced and brightened.

It's one of the things Lucas did with the Star Wars Special Editions.
That's fine and nobody can disagree with that little cosmetic kick.

The other stuff is what's making people nervous.
If it's a matter of using CGI ships for the space scenes, I'm fine with that
once I adjust. As for changing anything else, I'd get very nervous.

(Unless they change that pigmask for the ugly aliens,
and, say, make stunt-doubles look more like the actors.)  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Destyne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:15 am
I don't know the time, but I learned about from TV guide .... So keep an eye out and see out it looks.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:46 pm
It wasn't on!!! It made me mad and upset.. how can they get away with it .... crying crying cry  

Destyne

MagnusHansen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:27 pm
Odin Von Dursfel
eek

talk2hand

What he said... they're doing it just to appeal to the newer generation of Trekkies... rolleyes  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games