Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Naturalistic Pantheism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wood Sorrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:21 pm
History of Me:

Both my parents were raised in Protestant churches, and both rejected religion when in college. They are Atheists, and believe that there is no gods, nor proof of gods, nor can they be proven so therefore they can't exist. Same goes for the supernatural. My mom is interested in rituals from an anthropological and biological point of view, and my dad went to skeptics meetings (and I with him) for years. I should say they are both research scientists as well.

So I was raised in a very atheistic environment. My search about religions rose from my interest in prehistoric Europe. I was attracted to the Celts in particular, and yearned for more connection to the past and to nature. I looked into many religions. Paganism, Buddhism, and Quakerism particularly interested me. I liked the naturalism of Paganism, the wholeistic view of Buddhism, and the peaceful attitude of Quakerism. However, I could never bring myself to believe in gods or the supernatural. I tried to think of a name to call my path, since nothing I knew of fit quite right. I finally found a website on Scientific Pantheism, and it fit me perfectly. I had found something that I could label myself as, and a community I could be part of. However pantheism is not very well known, and so I find myself drawn to Pagan forums and groups (rather than Atheist groups) to chat.

My Practice:

I attend Universal Unitarian churches and Quaker meetings on occasion. They are both very mixed groups. Both have people who believe in god(s) and people who don't. The UU churches have pagan covens that meet there. It seems to me that the two groups are really very similar, they just like to worship (whatever it is they're worshipping) in different ways. I feel comfortable in both places, because although they may mention God, they don't talk about Jesus or any other particular creed and I can accept god as an idea and feeling rather than a reality.

As I've said, I don't believe in gods or the supernatural. How can I say I have a religion then? What's different about my path than atheism? Well, it's not really. But although I don't believe in gods that influence the world in any way, I believe that the universe itself is self-governing and self-influencing. Which to me is a lot more powerful than any gods. Or all the gods put together, because the gods are necessarily separate from physical things. Whereas the universe is everything and every time. Not that I believe that the universe has intelligence either. It just is. I don't know how else to explain it.

I celebrate the solstices, equinoxes, and cross-quarter days. I try to involve my family by having a feast or activity. I'm trying to get them to celebrate the winter solstice instead of christmas, like they've always done despite not being christians. But I may not succeed until I have kids of my own...

My only rituals are meditation and spending time in nature. I don't believe in magic. I do believe in intentions and the power the mind has over health and actions and culture. However, that's just the thing. I can't expect anything to happen if the person I'm trying to influence doesn't know I'm trying to influence them, since my influence has everything to do about their knowledge of my intentions. I do sometimes consult the I Ching, but it has about as much magical power as a fictional book, ie, both give me perspective on my life and a new way of looking at things, but neither in of themselves influence anything else.

If that was all to rambley for you, feel free to ask questions! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:24 am
Scientific Pantheism rocks. There's a bit of a taboo against as scientist partaking in such beliefs, but I think that's because some don't quite grasp that there's nothing supernatural about the belief system. Curiously, as I've studied the Earth sciences, they point towards something akin to Scientific Pantheism. Have you read up on James Lovelock's Gaia Theory? I suspect you'd enjoy it!  

Starlock

Wood Sorrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:41 am
I haven't read his Gaia theory, but have read a lot about it. There was a computer game I played growing up that was based on it.  
PathWays

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games