62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Never had them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

supercoolbandgeek

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:39 pm
I have (had) a pair of sunset platties. They have muliplied quite a bit in the few months I've had them, as opposed to the guppies I have (that haven't multiplied at all, but the female is getting fatter). Is this normal? Also, any other info about platties would be appreciated.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:34 pm
Platties tend to multiply "better" than guppies simply because the fry are larger (and therefore probably harder to eat/faster swimmers) than guppy fry.
I've got 3 babies from two (also sunset) ex-platties and the male has already knocked up both the females. I hope the other fish eat the poor, inbred babies. sweatdrop

Erm, what other type of information would you be interested in?  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

SquishyAngeh
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:17 pm
I have never had plattys but I bred swordtails for the last 5 years, and they are practically the same fish...they can even breed with plattys...Wierd huh...

anyway, it is fun to breed those things, if you are wondering what to do with the babies this is what I did

1: I took out all the babies I could find with a net and put them into a little 1 gallon container and fed them crushed flakes, but I would recomend going to a petsmart or petco cause they sell the fry food.

2: once they are half grown, about an inch to an inch and a half most local petstores besides petco and petsmart usually trade them for store credit, thats how I buy more fish....LOL, those little $hits *sorry* are worth a fortune if you have enough of them  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:23 pm
Platties are really like swordtails? I have a female swortail too, but all the males keep on dying. I wonder why. Do platties have a higher female baby fish ratio than boy? So far all mine have been girls.  

supercoolbandgeek

Metagon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:56 pm
Baby fish do not develop to appear male like until a few months after birth; you can't sex them that early in life.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:02 pm
Yeah, for my platties I was like, "Oh, awesome! All female! Now I don't have to worry about them getting pregant! " ... so much for that. crying

yeah, I thought the same thing...I was so excited about that....

my males never develope untill they are over a year old...ugg....but liveberers are very very slow late developers.

has anyone ever tried breeding male platties/swordtails with a female guppy? cause female guppiesget pretty close to the size of a smale female platty/swordtail...and would it work out? sweatdrop  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

Sugar Slave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:03 am
I've bred pretty much all the livebearers at one time or another and I can honestly say I never had any breed outside thier species that I know of, Also I have noticed that it takes the guppies longer to have babies then other fish, I had a pair together for 6 months before they had babies then she just didn't stop haveing them, I have a tank now full of 4 month old fish who are already trying to breed, when it comes to guppies once they have their colors they will still increase in size but they can also start breeding, just something to keep in mind.... Also when I go into a pet store to buy fish I try to get a female that is already pregnant you can normally tell by their stomaches, if they look like they will pop they are pregnant. Cause some fish are like people and well infertile, also preg. fish tend to live longer for me. Not really sure why though.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:10 am
Kansai_Gal
Yeah, for my platties I was like, "Oh, awesome! All female! Now I don't have to worry about them getting pregant! " ... so much for that. crying

yeah, I thought the same thing...I was so excited about that....

my males never develope untill they are over a year old...ugg....but liveberers are very very slow late developers.

has anyone ever tried breeding male platties/swordtails with a female guppy? cause female guppiesget pretty close to the size of a smale female platty/swordtail...and would it work out? sweatdrop
eek I wrote this? o.o  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas