Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wicca's Origins and the False Testimony of the Old Religion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:26 am
I'm currently writing a thesis on Wicca's origins and why it is falsly referred to as the Old Religion. It isn't finished yet, but a lot is here. Let me know in the thread what you think so far! smile

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17297555  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:19 am
Phoenixfire Lune Soleil
I'm currently writing a thesis on Wicca's origins and why it is falsly referred to as the Old Religion. It isn't finished yet, but a lot is here. Let me know in the thread what you think so far! smile

Pretty]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17297555
Pretty good. Might want to include some of the quotes from Gardner's works as well.  

TeaDidikai

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:47 am
TeaDidikai
Pretty good. Might want to include some of the quotes from Gardner's works as well.
3nodding Noted. Thanks, I'll have a look later and quote him directly.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:54 am
It's good. However, I think it's very important that you note that even Gardner admitted that he supplemented old material with his own stuff. It shows that Gardner wasn't just an insane fraud, for one, which is important.

Tell you what - when this is finished, PM it to me. Assuming that I haven't dissapeared from Gaia, I'll work it into the new version of the Wicca FAQ. With credit, of course.  

Triste-chan

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:54 pm
Triste-chan
It's good. However, I think it's very important that you note that even Gardner admitted that he supplemented old material with his own stuff. It shows that Gardner wasn't just an insane fraud, for one, which is important.

Tell you what - when this is finished, PM it to me. Assuming that I haven't dissapeared from Gaia, I'll work it into the new version of the Wicca FAQ. With credit, of course.
3nodding Sure thing.
I tried not to protray Gardner as a fraud, he was going by Murray's work after all, and at the time people beleived it was true history. Also noted though

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:37 pm
You might consider this beyond the scope of your article, but I suggest that you mention Charles G. Leland's 1890 work Aradia, Gospel of the WItches. Though, like Murray's original works, not specifically referencing the term Wicca, think it has been taken as anecdotal evidence by many, and I was surprised to see no mention of Leland in an article about la vecchia religione (the old religion.) I may be mistaken, but I believe it was his publication that introduced the term? Don't give Murray all the credit!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:27 am
[Kudzu]
You might consider this beyond the scope of your article, but I suggest that you mention Charles G. Leland's 1890 work Aradia, Gospel of the WItches. Though, like Murray's original works, not specifically referencing the term Wicca, think it has been taken as anecdotal evidence by many, and I was surprised to see no mention of Leland in an article about la vecchia religione (the old religion.) I may be mistaken, but I believe it was his publication that introduced the term? Don't give Murray all the credit!
Heh, you know I forgot about that. Then again I'm not totally versed on how much influence Leland had on Wicca as a whole, or the Old Religion idea specifically as I've mainly only found info on Murray in that respect. >.> I'll have to do some more digging, I think, thank you.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:15 am
If you want to deal some serious damage, you might want to cite the theory that Aleister Crowley either helped create or actually created Wicca for Gardner.  

Gideon Starorzewski

Starlock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:54 am
Gideon Starorzewski
If you want to deal some serious damage, you might want to cite the theory that Aleister Crowley either helped create or actually created Wicca for Gardner.

It's just a theory? Some of the stuff in Wicca is taken verbatum from Crowley's work. [Source = http://www.redflame93.com/Gardner.html] I haven't verified this site's research personally, but it was pointed out to me by someone I trust.

But this too might be beyond the scope of a short essay. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:50 am
Not a theory at all to my knowledge.  

TeaDidikai

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:24 am
Wait wait, I've heard that Wicca borrowed stuff from Crowley, but Crowley actually helped Gardner create Wicca?

Never thought I'd ask this, but can I see sources? Unless of course I'm just reading what you're saying wrong.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:56 am
One theorey, it was mostly coined by Leo Ruickbie place Crowley, rather than Gardner as the brains behind the operation.
Another, by someone named Hutton I believe, says that it is ripped of from a Rosecrucian break off group.
Of course, there are also some sources labeling Gardner as a member of the Golden Dawn... and it is hard to seperate (in popular imagination) Crowley's personal hijinks from that organizations eclectic mysticism...  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:49 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Wait wait, I've heard that Wicca borrowed stuff from Crowley, but Crowley actually helped Gardner create Wicca?

Never thought I'd ask this, but can I see sources? Unless of course I'm just reading what you're saying wrong.
It is my understanding that Crowley's handwritting was on Gardner's copy of Ye Bok Ye Arts Magical.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:01 pm
TeaDidikai
PhantomPhoenix0

It is my understanding that Crowley's handwritting was on Gardner's copy of Ye Bok Ye Arts Magical.

Still, source please?

If it is true, I'm not going to deny the possibility that Crowley had a hand in helping, but just from what you've said, its too vauge to be fact if indeed Crowley wrote something in the book. Could be an autograph, or a proofreading note.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:45 pm
Tis a piss poor secret society where one can find as much information as is available (unless it is all meant to be misleading), much less have anyone with any sort of credibility denouce their actions.
However, the theorey is expounded upon in the following book: Ruickbie, Leo. Witchcraft out of the Shadows: A Complete History. Robert Hale Limited. ISBN 0709075677  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff