Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Correct Term? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:50 pm
I've noticed two trends, both in M&R, and in this guild. Both having to do with terminology.
1)People get offended when other people use the word "Wicca" to describe the older religions that have been around for thousands of years, saying that the only possible use of the word is to describe the religion that Gardner founded in the mid-20th century.
2)People get offended when other people use the word "Pagan" or "Paganism" to describe aforementioned religions, being that "Paganism" is the blanket term for anyone who is not a member of one of the three main monotheistic religions.

So, if both of these definitions are incorrect, what is the correct word? I don't want to use either, because both are incorrect. Oh, and I realize that the tone of my post may offend some people. Sorry in advance for that. I'm too tired to try and word it better, and I'm naturally a blunt person. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:31 pm
People have problems with others bastardizing the word Wicca the same way they would have problems with a Protestant calling themselves a Catholic Priest out of ignorance (or mayhaps a direct lie). It's annoying to have folks claiming to be something they are not- especially in places where the nature of the forum is to debunk or prohibit inaccurate assertions.

People have problems with others claiming to follow "The Pagan Religion". Not with them claiming to be pagan.
As an umbrella term, there is no "Pagan Religion". Most people in this guild claim the title of Pagan. More power to them. (I don't. But that is for a specific reason outside of the framework of your thread).

As Wicca is a word with a specific meaning- we expect people to follow the meaning of the word when using it.

Wicca isn't older than Gardner anymore than Scientology is older than Hubard for having the word Science in the title.

The Pagan Religion is annoying because there are a number of Pagan religions and not only is it inaccurate english, but it doesn't explain the path the person who used it follows.

As to what you should use, you can claim to be Pagan. You are for the time being, likely something in the way of an Eclectic Pagan.  

TeaDidikai

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:37 pm
I don't have the slightest clue about what your beliefs are so I can not even begin to tell you what the right title is. Please provide some basic belief structure and from there I'm sure someone could help to point you in the right direction.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:47 am
You forgot the term "witch".
I find it strange that people who find out that they are not wicca, but are interrested in witchcraft, would rather determen themselves as "electic pagan", instead of "interrested in witchcraft" or even "Electic witch".

Anyway, there are so many ways you could term youself, why choose between two? I wonder why everyone is so eager to put themselves in a catagory anyway... rolleyes

There is nothing wrong with the "I'm still figuring this all out" catagory... xp  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:30 am
Elfin Brill
There is nothing wrong with the "I'm still figuring this all out" catagory... xp

The "I'm still figuring this all out" category is one of the most important.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 am
reagun ban
Elfin Brill

I think people shy away from that one because it sounds less impressive. Especially when you're younger, you don't want to look uncertain when your inclination is to wave your identity around like a banner. Not that it's an excuse, just that it's hard to sell a category to the crowd that isn't a fun label.  

TatteredAngel

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:25 am
reagun ban
Elfin Brill

Its a category I've been in for five years. I normaly just use the word 'witch'.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:16 pm
Darin Rosewood
1)People get offended when other people use the word "Wicca" to describe the older religions that have been around for thousands of years, saying that the only possible use of the word is to describe the religion that Gardner founded in the mid-20th century.
2)People get offended when other people use the word "Pagan" or "Paganism" to describe aforementioned religions, being that "Paganism" is the blanket term for anyone who is not a member of one of the three main monotheistic religions.

So, if both of these definitions are incorrect, what is the correct word?

I'm inferring from your post that you follow one of the "older religions that [has] been around for thousands of years" and are not "a member of one of the three monotheistic religions." Since the problem you've observed with the word "Pagan" is that it is not descriptive enough, why not add on a few adjectives? If your religion has been around for thousands of years, I imagine that there are cultural, practical or geographical descriptors that would help people understand that you're not implying that "Paganism" is one religion.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:59 pm
All of you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that I was asking for the title of my religion. I'm not. I'm actually agnostic at the moment, and am looking for a good religion. I was just wondering for terminology's sake, what the term would be for a witchcraft/magic practicing religion, if there is such a word. If there's not, it's no big deal, I just don't think people like getting flamed for calling others Pagans. Or for calling themselves Wiccan when they're obviously not, but don't like to use the word "Pagan." That probably didn't make sense, either, but I'm still tired. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Darin Rosewood
I was just wondering for terminology's sake, what the term would be for a witchcraft/magic practicing religion, if there is such a word.
The generic term would be Witchcult, thanks to Murrey.  

TeaDidikai

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 pm
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
I was just wondering for terminology's sake, what the term would be for a witchcraft/magic practicing religion, if there is such a word.
Eurgh... I hate the word "cult." XD  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:06 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
reagun ban
Elfin Brill

Its a category I've been in for five years. I normaly just use the word 'witch'.

I go with "Agnostic Pagan" as a generel term. My ideas about divinity are too hazy.

I haven't even definitively figured out if I am a hard polytheist, soft poly thiest or....a jello-thiest? sweatdrop  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:48 pm
Darin Rosewood
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
Eurgh... I hate the word "cult." XD
Life sucks. You can get a helmet or a cookie. Me? I like the cookie. Chocolate Chip for the win.

Everything is better with chocolate.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:18 pm
TeaDidikai
Life sucks. You can get a helmet or a cookie. Me? I like the cookie. Chocolate Chip for the win.

User Image  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 pm
TeaDidikai
sigified!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces