Welcome to Gaia! ::

Verbal Quidditch: A Harry Potter Debate Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debating
Is Voldemort Capable of Becoming a Ghost?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Voldemorts souls will most likely...
  Reconnect to make a ghost.
  Make smaller, seperate ghosts.
  Are too seperated and therefore no ghost will be produced.
  Unknown
View Results

Shatter the Venus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:07 am
First topic ever in this forum, woohoo! Anyway...

ghost (gōst)
n.
The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons or to haunt former habitats.
The center of spiritual life; the soul.
A demon or spirit.
A returning or haunting memory or image.
[from answers.com]

So we would agree that you need a soul to become a ghost, but Voldemort's souls are indeed splinted into seven pieces, as we would agree after reading book 6. Therefore, would the souls reconnect? It would seem very difficult for Voldemort to become a ghost and haunt Harry if a great deal of his souls were seperated.

Also, examining this evidence, is the entire soul needed to make a ghost, or could the seperate souls make seperate ghosts, but this seems highly unlikely of multiple ghosts, seeing as if there were any, the old horcuxes souls would haunt Harry.

Discuss, lovelys, discuss. <3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:37 pm
hmm I'm gonna have to say "no" on this one. It's an interesting concept for sure, but I just can't see Voldemort's ghost being an issue.

When Dumbledore/Slughorn talk about horcruxes in book 6 they imply that the making of a horcrux is so invasive and destructive that I can't see parts of the severed soul rejoining. I think once a piece of the soul is separated from the rest, it, in essence, functions as a individual soul in and of itself. Harry, at one point, asks Dumbledore if Voldemort knows when one of his horcruxes is destroyed. Dumbledore goes on to say, and I paraphrase, that Voldemort is so far and so long disconnected with his various pieces of soul that they really have no connection to him any longer. I would guess that they are as equally disconnected from eachother.

I liken it to giving a blood sample. Once that blood is taken from you, it still holds the key to what you are in form of a genetic code, a kind of blueprint to the souce it came from, but it is not you. You have no more connection to it, but if you were destroyed (and we had the technological capabilities) someone could create another being out of that same blueprint stored in the blood, another you. In the case of the soul pieces, they would be capable of holding more than just a physical blueprint, but include desires and memories and ambitions and emotions as well. But I imagine it would work in the same sort of way. If all the horcruxes but one were destroyed and then Voldemort killed, the last remaining piece of soul would contain the being that Voldemort is (at the time of "death" or the time of the creation of the horcrux? no idea) and hold a slight chance of "rebirth" for Voldemort if the piece of soul somehow managed to acquire a body, like we saw with Quirrel in book 1 or the cauldron/graveyard situation in book 4.

In addition, I would imagine that when one horcrux is destroyed, the piece of soul protected by it "dies" as if it would have had it been in a body and the body died. Here comes the ghost thing. Nearly Headless Nick tells Harry in book 5, very cryptically, that a wizard can only become a ghost if he wants to. Now, we don't really know what that means. Does the person, before or at the point of death, have to be in some sort of denial of that death? Be afraid of death? Chose the option of being a shadow of a human only to avoid the uncertainty that awaits them in death? In either situation, I guess the argument could be made that Voldemort is afraid of death, he considers it the ultimate human weakness (hence the obsession with horcruxes), so he may choose to be a ghost. But at the same time, he may be so secure in the actions he has taken to prevent his death, that he has ultimately convinced himself that he will not ever die, so would consider the concept of himself as a ghost laughable. He may not have made a "decision" as to his desire to become a ghost, solely because he believes that he would never be in that situation.

It is something that could be validly argued from either side, granted. But in the end, I feel that the Voldemort ghost situation just won't come into play.

(Even if Voldemort does become a ghost, he can't really do any harm. JKR seems to make a distinct differentiation between the ghosts at Hogwarts and Peeves the Poltergeist. In the way that JKR represents her version of ghosts, the ghosts never are able to interact with animate objects, including people. They don't do magic, they can't as much as life a pen, open a door, hold your hand. Other than floating around and intimidating you, they can't really cause physical pain, even by throwing something heavy at your head. Peeves, on the other hand, can interact with animate objects, but still never actually makes physical contact with a human (correct me if I am wrong here). I guess of Voldemort comes back as a poltergeist, he could remain to be some threat to Harry, but JKR really seems to avoid comparing ghosts to poltergeists so I get the impression that they are "formed" or "created" in a different manner. I guess what I am saying here, is if Voldemort does, for some reason, decide to come back as a ghost, all you would have to do to get rid of him is banish him from your castle, as Filch so wanted Dumbledore to do with Peeves. Bring it on Voldyghost! haha)  

DeeDee06

Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff