Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artica_Maius-The_Fox_Born

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:57 pm
i know that some people or "normies" consider Goth to be dead, and that the only true Goths of the age were that of the Old Romanian Culture/Gothic Faith of Ye Olde Times.

Could we consider ourselves to be the "New Goths" as a form of "Neo-Paganism?"

(my mom is the one that brought it up btw...she is well educated on this....somehow)

what are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:23 pm
The term gothic is a referance to the barbarian Goths. The term later came to mean grotesque. When the gothic fasion and life-style first came out people thought it was demented and grotesque. Back in " Ye Olde Times" the practices and faith wasn't considered groutesque or disturbing ( exept by the church). Therefor, the term "goth" would not be used to decribe them.  

fantasma_mirth

Familiar Specter

10,775 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Rebel Spark 50

Shattenhund

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:36 am
if this is true,then wouldn't that mean the only true gothic culture started quite recently?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:43 pm
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel

Paganism is a family of religions, which includes Wicca, shamanism, druidism, and many other religions, so I don't think that gothic culture has much to do with that, despite many goths being pagan. Saying that 'New Goth' is a form of 'Neo-Paganism' is like saying 'Prep' is a form of Christianity.

As for the 'New Goth' vs. 'Goth' title, I believe that such makes sense. 3nodding  

DreamerSpirit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:45 pm
The modern goth culture really has no relation to religion, other than sharing an adjective with an architectural style primarily used in Churchs.

I would most accurately describe the modern Goth culture as "Neo-Romantics".

And while many goths are pagan or neo-pagan, I don't think it can be said that there's a direct connection between the goth culture and paganism (of any kind).  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:48 pm
Really i don't know much about this, so i can't really say much.  

Shomu 1025

Silenus Slade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:43 pm
Let's play the semantics game!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:00 pm
GilAskan
The modern goth culture really has no relation to religion, other than sharing an adjective with an architectural style primarily used in Churchs.

And while many goths are pagan or neo-pagan, I don't think it can be said that there's a direct connection between the goth culture and paganism (of any kind).

agreed  

Willie-John[Abomination]

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:35 pm
GilAskan

Here, here!

I've heard that term used before, and do beieve that it encompasses many aspects of the Gothic subculture, based upon my knowledge of the Romanticism movement, as well as my observations of modern-day gothic culture. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:08 am
Yea, a few of my friends and I like neo-romantics, though we don't call ourselves that  

Dorian Requiem

DR490N

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:54 am
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel
i know that some people or "normies" consider Goth to be dead, and that the only true Goths of the age were that of the Old Romanian Culture/Gothic Faith of Ye Olde Times.

(my mom is the one that brought it up btw...she is well educated on this....somehow)

what are your thoughts on this?

no. you cannot. not unless you worship the gods that they did.
the term 'goth' was given by the media due to simple stupidity.
several of the old deathrock bands used to get together in a large old victorian house. they began calling one of them(i forget whom) 'count visigoth' and the fans of his band 'goths'. however, this was at one point overheard by a journalist, who began calling all of the fans of deathrock bands 'goths' and it just caught on.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:47 am
"Neo-romantics"?
I like that term. Has a nice ring to it.  

Athiel

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff