Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Kumari - The Living Goddess

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 pm
Wikipedia
Kumari, or Kumari Devi is a living Hindu goddess in Nepal. Kumari literally means virgin in Nepali. A Kumari is a prepubescent girl selected from the Shakya caste of the Nepalese Newari community. The Kumari is revered and worshipped by the country's Hindus as well as the Nepali Buddhists, though not the Tibetan Buddhists.

While there are several Kumaris throughout Nepal, with some cities having several, the best known is the Royal Kumari of Kathmandu, and she lives in the Kumari Ghar, a palace in the center of the city. The selection process for her is especially rigorous. The current Royal Kumari, Preeti Shakya, was installed on July 10, 2001 at the age of four.

A Kumari is believed to be the bodily incarnation of the goddess Taleju until she menstruates, after which it is believed that the goddess vacates her body. Serious illness or a major loss of blood from an injury are also causes for her to revert to common status.

[cite]

The idea of a 'living god' or 'living goddess' is not uncommon. In the past, rulers of Egypt, Rome, and Japan (to some extent - the emperor is technically the descendant of Amaterasu, and thus is divine, though I'm not sure if they are officially considered gods) have been worshipped as gods in flesh in various cultures. Jesus Christ was worshipped as the earthly incarnation of the Christian God.

What do you guys think about modern 'gods in flesh?' Do you think that such a thing is possible, or do you regard the belief as superstition?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:25 am
Depending on who you ask- half of my namesake was at once a living goddess.

Do I believe it is possible for deities to incarnate? Sure.

Do I know if the individuals in question are such? No.

Would I love to know what makes different groups assert such about these living gods? Of course.  

TeaDidikai

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:50 am
Ban Triste-chan!

The idea of a 'living god' or 'living goddess' is not uncommon. In the past, rulers of Egypt, Rome, and Japan (to some extent - the emperor is technically the descendant of Amaterasu, and thus is divine, though I'm not sure if they are officially considered gods) have been worshipped as gods in flesh in various cultures. Jesus Christ was worshipped as the earthly incarnation of the Christian God.

What do you guys think about modern 'gods in flesh?' Do you think that such a thing is possible, or do you regard the belief as superstition?

Sidenote: I think the Emperor of Japan has to renounce divine status as part of the surrender terms of WWII. Just some sub-context.

I think that it is possiable....the idea of proving such a thing makes me want to puke up stress however.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:20 am
Kuroiban

Sidenote: I think the Emperor of Japan has to renounce divine status as part of the surrender terms of WWII. Just some sub-context.
You are correct Sir. ~beats Ed back into his closet~  

TeaDidikai

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:30 am
I'm very skeptical when it comes to worshipping a "living god/goddess". Not that I don't believe that they couldn't incarnate themselves on Earth, I believe that the Divine is in every living and non-living thing already. It doesn't really don't need to come to Earth because It is already here in the form of the Earth itself and everything on it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:59 pm
crystal_raye
I'm very skeptical when it comes to worshipping a "living god/goddess". Not that I don't believe that they couldn't incarnate themselves on Earth, I believe that the Divine is in every living and non-living thing already. It doesn't really don't need to come to Earth because It is already here in the form of the Earth itself and everything on it.

~mumblepantheist~

That being the case- why not worship them? If they are divine- and the divine is worthy of worship- you aren't breaking any rules.  

TeaDidikai

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:24 pm
crystal_raye

So do you think it's possible for certain individuals to be more divine than others, or is divinity evenly spread?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:18 am
Ban Triste-chan!

So do you think it's possible for certain individuals to be more divine than others, or is divinity evenly spread?
Define Divine please.  

TeaDidikai

Triste-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:18 am
TeaDidikai
Ban Triste-chan!

Define Divine please.

I was kind of assuming that she would answer using her own definition of divine. Which was kind of the point. I think.

In other news, YOU RHYMED.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:07 pm
Triste-chan
In other news, YOU RHYMED.
I only rhyme when I have the time.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items