Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [ChatterBox]________Everything Else, Newbie Threads, Advertising, Etc.
Which song sold you? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

counter
  +1
View Results

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:24 pm
What was the Japanese song that got you into Japanese music? I don’t mean just the first Japanese song you ever heard. I mean the one that dragged you happily down the path to j-rock/pop/rap/whatever. Where did you hear it? How did you come to know about it? Did it immediately take you in or did it take a while? Finally do you still like the song now?

My first Japanese song wasn’t the one that got me into Japanese music. I heard a lot of Japanese music watching anime (4th Avenue Café from Kenshin, Rhythm Emotion from Gundam Wing, etc) and I enjoyed them but not enough to go by L’Arc en Ciel’s CD or anything like that.

The song that really got me into Japanese music was Vanilla by Gackt. I downloaded it off Napster (before the law suits and all that insanity) without even hearing it first. However I can’t remember where I heard about it. I think I read a GW fan fic that quoted the lyrics for some reason or other and I got curious. I don’t exactly remember but I’m pretty sure that’s it.

I loved it instantly too. I heard it, heard it again, and heard it a third time then sent to all my friends while hearing it a couple more times. XD After that I started downloading more Gackt music and vids, and looking up info which helped me discover Malice Mizer, Dir en Grey, Luna Sea, Siam Shade, and so many other. It also helped me rediscover a lot of bands I’d heard before. After all these years (man I make myself sound ancient) I still love Vanilla. It’s one of my favorite songs ever. Watching the music video still makes my day too. Gackt can’t dance. XD But Gackt is no longer my favorite singer. I still like him yes, but not as much as I did back then.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:24 am
Hm...I never did get dragged into Japanese music but I went through a Dir en Grey phase. I was introduced to it my friends and searched it up to find info and recommendations/reviews and such after being forced to hear Malice Mizer.

the first song was either Macabre or kiri to mayu. or at least I think it was kiri to mayu. but as Dir en Grey started going more western, I just kinda stopped listening. I mean I tried Buck Tick and others but I wasn't really interested.

I like Yoko Kanno though, ever since Escaflowne. does that count as Japanese?  

Kurai no Kuria

Kami Llama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:59 am
'Beast of Blood' by Malice Mizer. n.n;;

My friend Tiara showed me the music video when I was 13, during a sleepover at her house. I fell in love, I really did. I was hooked since then. I'm still a fan of the more hardcore Jrock now, like Dir en grey and Coalter of the Deepers; Malice Mizer started me down that path, and while some of their music makes me giggle now, I still appreciate the nostalgia. Staying up 'til 2 am, writing fanfics while I listened to the Voyage album. n.n *sigh* Those were such happy, chill times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 am
Kurai no Kuria
Hm...I never did get dragged into Japanese music but I went through a Dir en Grey phase. I was introduced to it my friends and searched it up to find info and recommendations/reviews and such after being forced to hear Malice Mizer.

the first song was either Macabre or kiri to mayu. or at least I think it was kiri to mayu. but as Dir en Grey started going more western, I just kinda stopped listening. I mean I tried Buck Tick and others but I wasn't really interested.

I like Yoko Kanno though, ever since Escaflowne. does that count as Japanese?

Yup. She very much counts. She is very good too. :3

The only Buck Tick song I ever liked was the theme for Night Walker.

KamiLlama
'Beast of Blood' by Malice Mizer. n.n;;

I love that song. I love Klaha. He has such an awesome voice. Too bad his debut CD bombed. ._.  

LadyNox
Vice Captain

[OMFG NARKI]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:03 pm
The Beast of Blood by Malice Mizer, which is still one of my all-time favourite songs. First heard it at a friend's place and it fired up my interest for the whole genre in an instant, starting with Malice Mizer's albums and moving onto Gackt and other artists.

Was by no means the first I heard though. Fact is, the "first" song is so far back in the past (seven years I think) that I just can't recall it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:29 pm
+ cruci-fiction +

The one that made me start liking J-rock was Les Miserable by Gackt. A friend sent me a link to it, and I listened . . . and I listened . . . and I listened. Yeah, I fell in love.
But I was not "suck in" to the J-rock scene; I mainly listen to goth rock, and what not.
But that doesn't mean I don't love me some J-rock.

+ in space +

Barbara Sexaroid

Palomino_Tenechi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:46 am
I not remember the exact song that got me into Japanese music but the song was from a group called w-inds. My friend is a major Keita fan, and she downloaded me many of their songs along with Lead and BoA. But now, I listen to more anime oriented japanese music.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:57 am
"Mizerable" By Gackt.

A good friend of mine made me an anime cd and instead of listening to the whole cd, I only listened to track number7. I had no idea who this person was talking about, but his voice was heavenly. When I asked my friend who he was, she showed me a picture of him. In that very moment, a new Gackt fangirl was born. heart  

bishie-boy

Aeronwyn

14,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:58 am
I've never been much into Japanese music, most of the bands that everyone seems to like (eg. Dir En Grey) just don't do a lot for me... And the anime music always sounded like computer game music (ie. a bit rubbish...) to me, but - Yes there is a but! - Rie Fu has changed my mind about the Japanese music scene in general. One of my penpals sent me a tape of that week's top 40 and now "Like a Boat" is one of my favourite songs. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:02 am
For me it was Life is like a boat- Rie Fu (bleach first ending)
I'm madly in love with all her music. Too bad no one really knows her gonk

Graceful crisis

ravenb0w

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:40 pm

The song that first got me into Japanese music I think was the songs to the animes of Naruto, Inuyasha, Chobits, and FMA.

I downloaded them, listened to them FAR too much, and now I HATE music in English. Weird...oh well! ^-^;

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:35 pm
Vanilla by Gackt. I heard that song and got English translations. ::fangirl squee:: After that I dug about through Gackt's past getting me into Malice Mizer which led me to Moi Dix Mois which led me to Dir en Grey through a link on a site related to M10M and so on and so forth.

Paparazzi Nazi

Chalumeaux

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:11 pm
For me, it was Yasashii Yoake by See-Saw (from the .hack soundtrack).

From then on my fangirlish adoration just progressed from anime sountrack to anime soundtrack and then finally to j-rock (by way of Gackt).

I wonder what percent of the japanese music fans had Gackt as one of their first artists...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 am

I dun not know..I think it's "Four Seasons" by Namie Amuro <33
But then again, I'm not sure

[Teh.Yummeh.Spam]

princessMeep

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:51 am
L'arc-en-Ciel's Ready Steady Go. heart I never really cared much for Jrock/Jpop, and then I saw Larku live at Otakon, and now I'm a little bit of a junkie. sweatdrop  
[ChatterBox]________Everything Else, Newbie Threads, Advertising, Etc.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games