Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Legalising drugs? ~A heated debate from MSN~ Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should ALL drugs be legalised?
Yes, for I see the logic behind this insane suggestion
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
No, because I truly think that you have become a madman
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Possibly, dependant on whether yoghurt is involved...
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:53 pm
Legalise drugs. Let's debate this in the good old British way! xd  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:55 pm
Is yoghurt involved?  

Ares

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:56 pm
Ares
Is yoghurt involved?

As long as you stick a load of novacaine in it, it is...  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:58 pm
This new development invites me to ponder this thought for a while....  

Ares

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:03 pm
I don't need drugs to get high.

No. Really.

I once drank about 4-6 pints of water in a drinking competion and was as high as a kite for the rest of the noon.

Then I needed the loo.  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:14 pm
Simon, you know my opinion. Making something legal because you are too lazy to police it is cheating and sick.  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:47 pm
and_solo_said
Simon, you know my opinion. Making something legal because you are too lazy to police it is cheating and sick.

Meh, but what are you going to do? Laziness is the new way forward. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:48 pm
GuruCleocatra

No. Really.

I once drank about 4-6 pints of water in a drinking competion and was as high as a kite for the rest of the noon.

Then I needed the loo.

You shouldn't do that. If you drink tons of water in a very short time, I think your blood cells burst or something.
Anyway; I don't really have a very strong opinion on this, but I'm increasingly tending towards the idea that legalistion is actually the best way to control drugs. I mean, I should think most people here know of someone who could at least get them in touch with some people who might know someone who could get you some kind of drugs. And if people decide they want to do drugs, they're going to do them, whether or not it's legal. And probably, if they were legalised, it might well be easier to control their use. I don't claim to be an expert, though.

Slightly tangentially (if that's a word), I met someone the other day who grows poppies in her back garden and makes opium cookies. It takes all sorts...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:52 pm
whapcapn
GuruCleocatra

No. Really.

Then I needed the loo.

You shouldn't do that. If you drink tons of water in a very short time, I think your blood cells burst or something.
Anyway; I don't really have a very strong opinion on this, but I'm increasingly tending towards the idea that legalistion is actually the best way to control drugs. I mean, I should think most people here know of someone who could at least get them in touch with some people who might know someone who could get you some kind of drugs. And if people decide they want to do drugs, they're going to do them, whether or not it's legal. And probably, if they were legalised, it might well be easier to control their use. I don't claim to be an expert, though.

Slightly tangentially (if that's a word), I met someone the other day who grows poppies in her back garden and makes opium cookies. It takes all sorts...

Legalisation will make it a lot harder to control...I mean, can the government control how many cigarettes people can take? Are there cigarette dealers? Yes. In every playground in the country. How could anyone think that legalisation would a) give control or b) get rid of dealers?

A crack (if you will excuse the pun) down is what we need. Shoot the junky buggers and let that be the end of it

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:05 pm
Legalisation all the way.

It's not just because it'll make it, uh, "easier to police" (although, being frank, the war on drugs is LOST and the drug underworld that screws up so many people's lives would be much smaller with legalisation). There are plenty of other considerations.

For one, it'll be safer. You heard me. There's a hell of a lot of crap in drugs because there are no quality controls...something like 40% of E tabs don't even contain *any* MDMA. A pure portion of a drug (or at least one not filled with brick dust and slug poison) will be safer. By legalising drugs, it would be with the condition of the nature in mind.

Also, think of the tax. The government make a mint out of cigarettes; imagine how much they'd get with all the other drugs heaped onto that. This money would more than cover the centres that could now be set up (confronting the problem rather than hiding it) and Britain as a whole would be better equipped economically.

Oh, and for the record? I have never taken any drug illegally.  

Vanilla Pod

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:14 pm
Vanilla Pod

It's not just because it'll make it, uh, "easier to police" (although, being frank, the war on drugs is LOST and the drug underworld that screws up so many people's lives would be much smaller with legalisation). There are plenty of other considerations.

For one, it'll be safer. You heard me. There's a hell of a lot of crap in drugs because there are no quality controls...something like 40% of E tabs don't even contain *any* MDMA. A pure portion of a drug (or at least one not filled with brick dust and slug poison) will be safer. By legalising drugs, it would be with the condition of the nature in mind.

Also, think of the tax. The government make a mint out of cigarettes; imagine how much they'd get with all the other drugs heaped onto that. This money would more than cover the centres that could now be set up (confronting the problem rather than hiding it) and Britain as a whole would be better equipped economically.

...because the NHS isn't getting beaten-up enough by obesity, cancer, MRSA and cancer already?

eek

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:32 pm
Vanilla Pod

On top of that; more people would be prepared to seek advice if they had a drug problem.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:34 pm
Invictus_88
Vanilla Pod

...because the NHS isn't getting beaten-up enough by obesity, cancer, MRSA and cancer already?

eek

I thought MagicL Mr. Howard was fixing that all for us?  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:38 pm
whapcapn
GuruCleocatra

No. Really.

Then I needed the loo.

*explodes*  

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:39 pm
GuruCleocatra
whapcapn
GuruCleocatra

No. Really.

Then I needed the loo.

*explodes*

*Reconstitiutes*
Yes, if you legalise drugs you eliminate a large proportion of the illegal dealer trade AND the government receives a lot more in VAT.

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games