Submit

Which do you agree with?
  # 1
  # 2
  I have another suggestion.
View Results

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:20 am
I've finally begun expanding my guild horizons and now belong to about five guilds including my heart, this one.

heart

But I've noticed that most other guilds don't utilize their picture threads too often.

I mean, our picture thread is 200+ pages now.

I took note that these guilds with limited picture posting aren't related to the gothic subculture.

So now I've made two hypotheses:

1. We, as goths, are much more attuned to the value of aesthetics and beauty and feel the need to share it with each other.

2. We, as a guild, are merely vain.

What does everyone else think?

ninja I'm partial to the first hypothesis ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:05 pm
MortSanglant
I've finally begun expanding my guild horizons and now belong to about five guilds including my heart, this one.

heart

But I've noticed that most other guilds don't utilize their picture threads too often.

I mean, our picture thread is 200+ pages now.

I took note that these guilds with limited picture posting aren't related to the gothic subculture.

So now I've made two hypotheses:

1. We, as goths, are much more attuned to the value of aesthetics and beauty and feel the need to share it with each other.

2. We, as a guild, are merely vain.

What does everyone else think?

ninja I'm partial to the first hypothesis ninja

I am partial the the first as well

<<

Though, one could also say that we are vain as a guild for we are goth.

>>

heart

I say it is both

some guild thing

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:49 pm
Appreciation of aesthetics is not vain.

For example, read this situation (this actually happened to me), and see who sounds vain.

Me: "I think that you should wear pinstripes. The long verticals excentuate length, giving an illusion of height. The lines also look clean-cut, and have a classic, professional feel to them."

My Friend: "That's reasonable, though, I've always felt that stripes of any size in a composition draw attention away from the composition as a whole. As is with paintings, or with sculpture."

Me: "Very true. Textured hair on a smooth-bodied statue draws attention. One of the main reasons I dislike some of the works of Saarinen. Maybe you shouldn't wear the stripes then."

Listener: "God, I hate vain people..."

Me: "Excuse me?"

Listener: "It's people like you that make the world a horrible place to live in. You pressure people to look good. All you care about is the way you look. That's why I hate people like you. Vanity is a horrible thing, and I hope you age quickly and don't age well."

So, who seems vain here? The people talking about fashion, or the person against it? The person against it (or so I would interpret in this situation).

I'm not saying that looks are the most important thing. However, aesthetism isn't wrong so long as it isn't put above purpose.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:54 pm
We're vain

er duh biggrin  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:20 pm
GilAskan

For example, read this situation (this actually happened to me), and see who sounds vain.

Me: "I think that you should wear pinstripes. The long verticals excentuate length, giving an illusion of height. The lines also look clean-cut, and have a classic, professional feel to them."

My Friend: "That's reasonable, though, I've always felt that stripes of any size in a composition draw attention away from the composition as a whole. As is with paintings, or with sculpture."

Me: "Very true. Textured hair on a smooth-bodied statue draws attention. One of the main reasons I dislike some of the works of Saarinen. Maybe you shouldn't wear the stripes then."

Listener: "It's people like you that make the world a horrible place to live in. You pressure people to look good. All you care about is the way you look. That's why I hate people like you. Vanity is a horrible thing, and I hope you age quickly and don't age well."

So, who seems vain here? The people talking about fashion, or the person against it? The person against it (or so I would interpret in this situation).

I'm not saying that looks are the most important thing. However, aesthetism isn't wrong so long as it isn't put above purpose.

I believe you misinterpreted what I was getting at.

I never said that appreciation of aesthetics was equal to vanity.

I was stating that we as a guild utilitize our picture post thread umteen times more than any other guild I've seen, thus far.

I was hypothesizing that either

A. We're just more attuned to aesthetics.

or

B. We're vain.

My main question of the thread was, which do you think is the reason we use the thread more frequently than most.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:10 pm
MortSanglant
GilAskan

I believe you misinterpreted what I was getting at.

I never said that appreciation of aesthetics was equal to vanity.

I was stating that we as a guild utilitize our picture post thread umteen times more than any other guild I've seen, thus far.

I was hypothesizing that either

A. We're just more attuned to aesthetics.

or

B. We're vain.

My main question of the thread was, which do you think is the reason we use the thread more frequently than most.

Ahh. I did misinterpret it then.

In that case...

Both. Some people keep posting pictures because they want others to look at them. Some people keep posting pictures as a way to show people how they express themselves.  

GilAskan
Crew

Drifter_Xwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:19 pm
im impartial to this statment one of my other guilds is 200 + pages as well but ya its kinda missunderstood much like goths  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:58 am
Oh, I have no doubt that the guild as a whole can be very artistic at times. That we all just long to share the Exterior with others, likeminded, thus presenting others with the highly treasured inspiration and joy that is the only reason we choose to remain, bound by this mortal coil.

Me, though, like to see myself as something of an anthropomorphic personification of the universal aspect of "Vanity"

Along with morty, that is.  

Athiel

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:38 am
Athiel
Oh, I have no doubt that the guild as a whole can be very artistic at times. That we all just long to share the Exterior with others, likeminded, thus presenting others with the highly treasured inspiration and joy that is the only reason we choose to remain, bound by this mortal coil.

Me, though, like to see myself as something of an anthropomorphic personification of the universal aspect of "Vanity"

::squeezes::

Aww, Mika, you're so cute.

heart

Ahem, I mean, you're so gorgeously beautiful, a paragon for all that is lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:33 am
MortSanglant
Athiel

heart

heart heart heart

...Have I told you my name? eek  

Athiel

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 am
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel

heart

heart heart heart

::cough::
Sorrow Girls profile ::cough::

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:56 pm
MortSanglant
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel

heart

heart heart heart

No, seriously??  

Athiel

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 pm
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel

heart

heart heart heart

No, seriously??

Did you read the white print?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:09 pm
MortSanglant
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel

heart

heart heart heart

No, seriously??

s**t! Now I have to give up my secret identity as a superhero as it has been revealed in a cross mistake!
My life is Over!  

Athiel

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 pm
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel
MortSanglant
Athiel

heart heart heart

No, seriously??

s**t! Now I have to give up my secret identity as a superhero as it has been revealed in a cross mistake!
My life is Over!

Ahem.

ninja

Don't worry. Mika is just a ploy. I'll never give out your true identity. Your existence is safe with me.

ninja

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces