Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Using Books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:48 pm
Sorry if the title is a bit misleading.
Who here uses inspiration from books -not spellbooks mind you- for spells?
I do and I was wonderign what insight other might show me or that I mgith show others.

The power of belief is one of the strongest powers of all, and if you can convince yourself soemthing is real then it can be real for you.

Just my thoughts.
-Kaena Wraithson  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:58 pm
Why not? There is no set rule that you can't make up your own spell from a fictional book. Hell, I know some people who use some spells from Dungeons and Dragons. Nothing like fireball, mind you, but their divination spells are quite interesting.  

Kal Eldritch

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:27 pm
Inspiration can come from many a source, no matter how seemingly silly.
It's making it into a functional experience that is teh tricky part. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:38 pm
Well getting inspiration from books is what I do best, i was jsut wondering what other peoples thoguhts on it were.
i tend to use alot of lovecraftian stuf, and its quite useful.
[cringes for flaming]  

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 pm
Well, so long as you don't pass the book inspired material off as Teh secret truth of teh Universe!!!111 then it shouldn't be a problem.
also, while some books are pure fiction, many (not all) found their inspiration in something in the waking world, and thus bringing the concepts back to the waking world is just pulling it full circle.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 pm
yeah, well I'm more of a chaote, but i have fun with what i do, even if it causes undue stress.  

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:05 pm
Kaena Wraithson

Who here uses inspiration from books -not spellbooks mind you- for spells?
I know I do. I'm a shameless Esme Fangirl.
Quote:

The power of belief is one of the strongest powers of all, and if you can convince yourself soemthing is real then it can be real for you.
I still think this assertion is absurd.

An individual's personal opinion does not over rule Objective Reality.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:53 am
Rachel Pollack
When we see groups in robes casting mysterious spells in comics, we really are looking at a debased version of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

So yes, yes of course. I do tend to rely on fiction more for perspectives and philosophies of magic than actual templates for spellwork most of the time.  

Gideon Starorzewski

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:02 am
I try not to look towards fantasy books and such for inspiration on that sort of thing, because I will turn into a raging fangirl and start calling on LotR Elf Gods and start wearing my Spock ears.

I have an obsessive personality, okay! gonk

But I am indeed a Lover of Words That Sound Cool. If a work of fiction is using a name for a rite or such, I will rip it right out and adapt it for my own use. Not to say Culture Rape is alright in my book, but as far as fantasy stories/movies are concerned, they're fair game. <3  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games