Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
The Liberal Democrats - "The REAL Alternative?" Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you be supporting the Liberal Democrats on May 5th?
Yes, I shall
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I shall not
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I am STILL undecided with less than a week to go...
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:42 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So, here we are. My Liberal Democrat support thread; mainly about how others nationwide view the Liberals and whether people think they will gain seats / lose seats at the General Election on May 5th.

I shall provide some resources;

The Liberal Democrat Website

A brief Liberals / Alliance / Lib Dem history

Charles Kennedy - A short bio

A guide to where the Parties Stand

So, let the debating begin, I suppose...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:24 am
I've already voted.

My postal ballot arrived this morning, and was sent back this afternoon, with a Lib-Dem cross on it.

Due to a server fault, this thread hasn't counted my vote. Bah.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:26 am
So, what do you think? Win seats, lose seats or stay similar? I think they will gain a few seats, not many though.

Edit: That could be because it messed the poll up the first time and I had to re-make it...
confused  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:33 am
I think they'll do well out of this one, no-one trusts Labour anymore, and Howard is frankly creepy. I don't think they'll win though.

With any luck their increase will be enough that the winning party has to acknowledge them, and act a little more Lib-Dem in an attempt to win back the voters. Stranger things have happened.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:38 am
Erix Griffon
I think they'll do well out of this one, no-one trusts Labour anymore, and Howard is frankly creepy. I don't think they'll win though.

With any luck their increase will be enough that the winning party has to acknowledge them, and act a little more Lib-Dem in an attempt to win back the voters. Stranger things have happened.

I really don't see why people are so against Kennedy as a leader. In my opinion he is relaxed, confident and a damn sight more stomachable than both Howard and Blair.

*Creepy Howard image of the week = him, a 64 year old freakish, smarmy weasel, running - YES RUNNING - along a street, eagerly storming people's houses in a vain attempt to get votes...*

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:54 am
Great pollmanship Simon  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:59 am
and_solo_said
Great pollmanship Simon

Ignore the poll, people! It has buggered up and I cannot edit it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:35 pm
If I could vote I would vote LibDem. Of course, it would obviously be a catastrophe if they got into government - they simply wouldn't be able to run the country without the necessary experience. however, I think labour are pretty much vertaain to win this, and hopefully LibDem will gain seats and have a stronger voice in parliament.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:45 pm
If they never get into power then everyone will think that forevermore. *sighs* Will there ever be a proportionally represented liberal Britian? sad  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:29 pm
Nebelstern
If they never get into power then everyone will think that forevermore. *sighs* Will there ever be a proportionally represented liberal Britian? sad

Well, no, it's simply the case that a party with absolutely no experience of government would make a mess of things. Maybe if their popularity gradually increased, they could become a little more accustomed to power and things could progress a bit more.
Actually, I really don't understand Chrarles Kennedy's claim that they will not enter a coalition if asked.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:34 pm
whapcapn
Nebelstern

Well, no, it's simply the case that a party with absolutely no experience of government would make a mess of things. Maybe if their popularity gradually increased, they could become a little more accustomed to power and things could progress a bit more.
Actually, I really don't understand Chrarles Kennedy's claim that they will not enter a coalition if asked.

I think to him it is a matter of principle; they wish to be seen as an individual party aside from the others. If they entered into a coalition government it would let everyone think they were either centre right or left. That is not what the Lib Dems want. At all.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:41 am
The Lib/Dems are a contemptible little breed. Too many of their ideas cannot work, too many Labour ideas have been proven to not work and the tory ideas seem to me to show quite a lot of promise.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:03 am
For the righteousness of the Liberal Democrats!!

xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:33 am
Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

I'm not an economist, so I don't focus upon the feasability of a party's plans (especially since they won't go through with those plans. Probably)
But, I do know that on some issues, Labour's plans are idiotic, the Tories plans are better, and I still don't know what the Lib Dems plans were.  

Zoutout

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:03 am
*shrug*

That unworkable local income tax thingy..

rolleyes

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games