Submit

Have you heard of Northern Soul before?
  No
  Yes
View Results

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 pm
Ok, Northern Soul is an off-genre of Ska and Mod music. It was a craze in England in the 1960's, when ska and soul music started to split into new genres. Northern Soul sounds a lot like Motown music, but with a bit more upbeat music. This fad made it to America in the 1960's also.
Now this is gonna sound really weird....but Hardcore dancing ( you know, kicks, flips, punches, etc etc) actually took MOST of their dance moves from Northern Soul.
Ok ok, Northern Soul isn't angry music like Hardcore, and the people weren't beating the s**t out of each other. But Northern Soul had a lot of flips, spins, turns, kicks, etc etc.

The Northen Soul fashion was truely a mix between Ska and Mod.
Guys normally wore Bowling Shirts/button down shirts/polos and Blazers with LOTS of buttons and patches on them. They wore Trousers or Levis jeans, and dress shoes or boots.

I've been really getting into Northen Soul lately, cause it's a good break from ska and reggae. It has a good beat, great lyrics, and obviously, a lot of soul in the music.

If anybody would like to hear a couple of Northern Soul songs, feel free to email me at catch22hardcorefan@yahoo.com
(don't ask, it's a reallly REALLY old email adress =P )

Here is a really small list of Northen Soul artists:
Maxine Nightingale
Chuck Jackson
Charles Lamonte and The Extremes
The Millionares
Mr. Soul
The Rockmasters  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:29 am
i've heard the millionares but i thought they were just a motown type group, ill check it out, sounds pretty interesting  

Canada3952

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:20 pm
Canada3952
i've heard the millionares but i thought they were just a motown type group, ill check it out, sounds pretty interesting

Well, Motown and Northern Soul is really really closely related.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Anybody else?  

King Of The Ska
Captain

GIoom
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:12 pm
Send Me Some!!!!! I shall be emailing you soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:19 am
Seriously, Northern Soul is really really cool  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Throwaway Style

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am
Northern Soul didnʻt REALLY evolve out of ska, but the mods that were hella into Loverʻs Rock and Trad Ska were really into these obscure soul tunes that the selecters would play at their clubs. Sorta like the dancehalls back in Jamaica, but updated for the 60ʻs and 70ʻs in england. A lot of "Northern Soul" artists were cats from england who were really into the motown sound, and replicated it putting an english twist on the music...

Some songs that are popularly considered "Northern Soul" are actually just obsure motown songs, such as "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGʻs.

But itʻs not like theyʻre NOT related, cause they are. Through the mods.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:06 pm
NinjaLifer
Northern Soul didnʻt REALLY evolve out of ska, but the mods that were hella into Loverʻs Rock and Trad Ska were really into these obscure soul tunes that the selecters would play at their clubs. Sorta like the dancehalls back in Jamaica, but updated for the 60ʻs and 70ʻs in england. A lot of "Northern Soul" artists were cats from england who were really into the motown sound, and replicated it putting an english twist on the music...

Some songs that are popularly considered "Northern Soul" are actually just obsure motown songs, such as "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGʻs.

But itʻs not like theyʻre NOT related, cause they are. Through the mods.

True true.
I'm glad somebody else knows about it other than me.  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Throwaway Style

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:14 pm
"Tainted Love" was an OG northern soul song before that 80ʻs version came out.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:22 pm
NinjaLifer
"Tainted Love" was an OG northern soul song before that 80ʻs version came out.

Yeah, I have a recording of it
And even before that, Tainted Love was originally a rocksteady-type song( I can't remember who did it though)  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Leveller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 am
I like some northern soul (it's poular with the "trojan/original" skinheads)
but when it comes to soul music my favs. are the Red Skins and they're playing something called hardsoul it's a more aggressiv soul music and they (red skins) also uses horns, they're kick a**.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:34 pm
Northern Soul is pretty good, I'm more into Skinhead Reggae myself though.  

American Skinhead

Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff