Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
What's the worst "cop-out" you've read? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RionaDaidouji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:25 pm
What I mean is, what's the worst case you've seen of someone putting in a "justification" of sorts for a yaoi couple?

There's the obvious, of course, changing the gender of one of the characters so that it's not yaoi anymore, which is a pain, and unfortunatly quite common. -_-.

Also, I have run into one particularly annoying one... I read this years ago and still can't get over it.

It was in a Harry Potter fic, Sirius/Remus. It was set during Sirius's funeral, and Harry found out from Dumbledore that Sirius and Remus were a couple. When Harry asks "So Sirius was gay?", Dumbledore responds with "Yes, a lot of wizards are gay, that's why there are so few of us."

And I just... stopped reading right there. And what sucks is that the rest of the fic up until that point was really good. And then there was that line that just ruined the whole thing.

I mean, they can't just be gay because they happen to be gay? It has to be justified by "A lot of wizards are gay"? Argh...

So anywho, any other annoying "justification" anyone's come across?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:47 pm
on the note of turning the characters into girls.... an annoying amount of people do that to Duo. i can't stand it!! scream

aside from that... i hate the "i never knewi was gay until i met you" scenario and the "a guy likes me. no one's liked me before so i'll give it a chance. hey i like it!" scenario either. i see that one WAY too much in harry potter fanfiction  

blackcatluck

Dapper Gaian

RionaDaidouji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:51 pm
Ugh, yeah, the "I'm not gay, I just like this one guy.". -_-. I've seen it done well ONCE, and only once... And that might be because I read the third part of the trilogy, at which point they were already a couple and it was written much better, before reading the first part, where that was in. So, I was already in love with the couple by then.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Okay I'm working on a Shonen-Ai story...suggestions for Iki No Tenshi!?
I would prefer to not have a bad story because of a line like "I can't be gay..." Ya'know?
and back on subject....there was this one I really hated...I can't remember Manga......The guy completely denai's it and starts dating this girl...and then relizes that he is dumps the girl and goes away.  

Summers_Dispare

Dultae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:57 pm
Oh, my favourite (meaning it's really pretty ******** bad) comes from the webcomic Sublunary. (Not for those who can't stand the sight of graphic mansex. Or who don't like bad art/writing/logic.) See, there was some sort of nuclear holocaust and the SUN BLACKED OUT HOMFG. (I just wrote HOMOFG which is waaaay too appropriate. eek ) Therefore, something happened to the population. Like, the world overpopulated and then half of that died out and now resources are so scarce we have to control the population very carefully... SOMETHING LIKE THAT. The point being you can't have kids without government consent.

And because birth control apparently no longer exists, the obvious solution to the "can't get pregnant but MUST SCREW SOMETHING" is... EVERYONE TURNS GAY. 3nodding And then the world also seems to be populated by overly-femmy guys (I totally did not guess that one dude was a guy until they took his pants off. Seriously), and ONLY them. Overly-femmy guys with overactive libidos and apparently no morals at all.

Yeaaaaah... the worst part was how they tried to make it sound legitimate and plausible. If they'd just said, "This story takes place on Yaoi Planet, in PrettyFemmyBoyville," it'd be a lot easier to take (and would probably make for a better story). But nooo, it had to be SERIOOUS.

My god. Whatever happened to just being gay because... you're GAY?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:20 am
Sheltigrrl
Oh, my favourite (meaning it's really pretty ******** bad) comes from the webcomic Sublunary. (Not for those who can't stand the sight of graphic mansex.

I missed the whole part where people had to be gay...but then again, they tried to tell most of the backstory through summary and profiles instead of in the comic itself. And what got told in the comic was so awful! The sentient satellite blocking out the sun? Puhlease! The complete naivety of these government and terrorist operations was just ugh. The whole comic was doomed. Doomed I say!

One of my favorite cop-outs is the "everybody must get together!" For example, in Gundam Wing, if Heero and Duo get together and Trowa and Quatre get together, poor Wufei needs someone! So they generously stick him in a threesome with one set or throw him to Treize or even just stick him with Sally Po. It's when poeple start making couples just so someone won't get lonely with no real thought for the characters involved that it's just annoying. Everybody does not need to be gay, nor does everybody need ot be together. Leave them alone already. They can be happy by themselves just hanging out with their friends and not sleeping with them!  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

Dultae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:17 am
For-Chan Cookie
Sheltigrrl
Oh, my favourite (meaning it's really pretty ******** bad) comes from the webcomic Sublunary. (Not for those who can't stand the sight of graphic mansex.

I missed the whole part where people had to be gay...but then again, they tried to tell most of the backstory through summary and profiles instead of in the comic itself. And what got told in the comic was so awful! The sentient satellite blocking out the sun? Puhlease! The complete naivety of these government and terrorist operations was just ugh. The whole comic was doomed. Doomed I say!

Actually, I don't think it ever quite came out and SAID they had to be gay--but one of the creators did say something to that effect on the thing's forum. >o;; But it's pretty obvious. And I had to go SEARCHING for the reason, yeah. Nowhere in the comic.

I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now! Doom doom doom doom doom...

(And let me just say it's awesome someone else knew what I was talking about. *hug!*)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Sheltigrrl
Oh, my favourite (meaning it's really pretty ******** bad) comes from the webcomic Sublunary. (Not for those who can't stand the sight of graphic mansex. Or who don't like bad art/writing/logic.) See, there was some sort of nuclear holocaust and the SUN BLACKED OUT HOMFG. (I just wrote HOMOFG which is waaaay too appropriate. eek ) Therefore, something happened to the population. Like, the world overpopulated and then half of that died out and now resources are so scarce we have to control the population very carefully... SOMETHING LIKE THAT. The point being you can't have kids without government consent.

And because birth control apparently no longer exists, the obvious solution to the "can't get pregnant but MUST SCREW SOMETHING" is... EVERYONE TURNS GAY. 3nodding And then the world also seems to be populated by overly-femmy guys (I totally did not guess that one dude was a guy until they took his pants off. Seriously), and ONLY them. Overly-femmy guys with overactive libidos and apparently no morals at all.

Yeaaaaah... the worst part was how they tried to make it sound legitimate and plausible. If they'd just said, "This story takes place on Yaoi Planet, in PrettyFemmyBoyville," it'd be a lot easier to take (and would probably make for a better story). But nooo, it had to be SERIOOUS.

See, now I just feel horrible because Sublunary is one of my favorite comics online (And I'm picky at what I read, I won't just read anything mind you).

Uh... ya... not going to get into though.

The ones I hate are the ones I always see in Harry Potter fanfiction, the "Oh Noes!! Something back fired and now I find your incrediably hot, but I totally hate your guts!!"  

Mayze

yuyu-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:44 pm
blackcatluck
on the note of turning the characters into girls.... an annoying amount of people do that to Duo. i can't stand it!! scream

aside from that... i hate the "i never knewi was gay until i met you" scenario and the "a guy likes me. no one's liked me before so i'll give it a chance. hey i like it!" scenario either. i see that one WAY too much in harry potter fanfiction

3nodding i hated when they turning charater into girls too, and the Duo thing too, i like it when Duo is uke, but if it's yaoi keep it that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:48 pm
Sheltigrrl
For-Chan Cookie
Sheltigrrl

Actually, I don't think it ever quite came out and SAID they had to be gay--but one of the creators did say something to that effect on the thing's forum. >o;; But it's pretty obvious. And I had to go SEARCHING for the reason, yeah. Nowhere in the comic.

I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now! Doom doom doom doom doom...

(And let me just say it's awesome someone else knew what I was talking about. *hug!*)

it's one of those everyone and their grandpa is gay thing..........sound kind of like Ai no Kasabi (think i spell it wrong).....expect it's better, it has master and slave.........  

yuyu-chan

Dultae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 am
Mayze
Sheltigrrl

See, now I just feel horrible because Sublunary is one of my favorite comics online (And I'm picky at what I read, I won't just read anything mind you).

:3 Hee, so am I. Sooo many complaints about Sublunary... but I have to say, I did enjoy reading it. It was fun. (Fun the same way watching Nightmare on Elm Street was fun. biggrin My friends and I are ruthless.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:08 pm
I hated it when they changed Fish-Eye and other multiple gay characters from Sailor Moon into girls so I'd never get over it. It's lyke...stop being so old fashioned and have a open mind >/  

Zee`s Dead

overlordofthepies

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:07 pm
I think the overused DBZ one rubs me the wrong way a bit- largely because one fic used it, and it spread like the plague. But faster. And digitally. Once or twice I wouldn't mind much, but it is reused so much it has practically become fannon.

Basically, they made up the excuse that the Saiyans had a genetic bias towards being male, and so a greater percentage of the population were male, so a lot of them couldn't find women. So they couple up with men. It just seems really, really stupid, since nine out of ten times they decided to set the story on woman-rich planet Earth anyway. sweatdrop

Nothing was specified in the series-they simply didn't show many female Saiyans. Since the planet was all blown up and stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:16 pm
I copped out on this one fan fiction that turned EVERYONE gay and I mean everyone from Yugioh (Or now, according to the writer- You-Gay-Hoe). It was so painful.

Riosin

UlooAloo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:49 pm
Rio Ri
I copped out on this one fan fiction that turned EVERYONE gay and I mean everyone from Yugioh (Or now, according to the writer- You-Gay-Hoe). It was so painful.
xD That would bother the crap outa' me.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces