Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
live long and prosper, peace and long life

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:11 pm
alright, this question has disstressed me for some time. When is the proper time to use 'Peace and long life'. i mean, i've had theroies, all of wich have been shot down. I was wondering if you, my Star Trek bretheren could help me out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:08 pm
I typically don't use it. I have no idea when is the right time. Plus people I know don't really get "Live long and prosper" >.<  

Dr. Leonard McCoy

lepetitchou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 pm
In the episode "Amok Time" when Spock must return home to breed, Leonard Nimoy felt the Vulcan's should have some cultural greeting so he made one up based on his own Jewish background. The Vulcan salute is a modification of the traditional Jewish blessing known as the Kohanim.
"Live long and prosper" and it's lesser known response "Peace and long life" are drawn from the Jewish greeting in Hebrew "Shalom aleichem" (peace be upon you) and the answer, "Aleichem shalom" (upon you be peace.)

Some trekkies believe that "Live long and prosper" is a Vulcan greeting that only Vulcans can use. So "Peace and long life" would be an appropriate greeting for non-Vulcans to say. This is just a speculation though.

heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:24 am
lepetitchou
In the episode "Amok Time" when Spock must return home to breed, Leonard Nimoy felt the Vulcan's should have some cultural greeting so he made one up based on his own Jewish background. The Vulcan salute is a modification of the traditional Jewish blessing known as the Kohanim.
"Live long and prosper" and it's lesser known response "Peace and long life" are drawn from the Jewish greeting in Hebrew "Shalom aleichem" (peace be upon you) and the answer, "Aleichem shalom" (upon you be peace.)

Some trekkies believe that "Live long and prosper" is a Vulcan greeting that only Vulcans can use. So "Peace and long life" would be an appropriate greeting for non-Vulcans to say. This is just a speculation though.

heart

Yeah, i konw all that, but A vulcan used 'Peace and long life' while Picard used "Live long and prosper'. dont worry, i thought it was that too....they always shot down my hypothesis...  

Kurzon_Dax

Ken5hachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:51 am
No no, Peace and long life is actually the first phrase then Live long and prosper
Sochya eh dif -> Dif-tor heh smusma

Or at least, that is typically the case although I have seen it used the other way around multiple times. Live long and prosper, regardless, is a response. If you're looking at traditional Golic though, the phrases are allways set up as Sochya eh dif (Peace and long life).
and then
Dif-tor heh smusma (Live long and prosper)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:56 am
didn't they use both phrases in first contact? Hmm, I'm going to need to watch that movie again...  

Se Ga Takai
Vice Captain

Ken5hachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:21 pm
Se Ga Takai
didn't they use both phrases in first contact? Hmm, I'm going to need to watch that movie again...

No they didnt actually. The first thing the Vulcan's said after exiting the craft was Dif-tor heh smusma instead of the traditional Sochya eh dif...which was something that allways puzzled me about that movie.
Then again, everything about races from TOS has been altered over time.
For instance the standard Vulcan haircut was changed and there are all sorts of instances involveing names which dont follow the culture. Techically, all Vulcan women should have the "of" prefix " T' " (ex: T'pol) yet there are still examples like Saavik,and Sokona who's names dont follow the norm at all (even though Saavik is P Romulan), to say nothing of names like Xon Taurik, Vorik, and Tuvok which are not in order with Vulcan standard begining S and ending K names...which would typically mean they dont accept the ideas of Surak..however, Tuvok is proven to be a devout follower, even completeing the ritual of Kolhinar.

Gah, rambling again, I talk too much about Vulcans sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:10 am
I've only heard the Peace and Long life part of the Vulcan greeting once. (Sarek, TNG) I personally think that that is the first part of the Vulcan greeting.  

Nuri66

Recca

O.G. Noob

5,700 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:57 am
lepetitchou

heart

Wow, I didn't know that at all. Now I'm going to feel a little silly whenever I use that greeting. (The Yiddish/Hebrew one, that is.) THANKS. =P  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:11 am
The Vulcan-ubsessed me says "No clue"  

Naphatarie

Werewolf Garnet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:19 am
Dr. Leonard McCoy
I typically don't use it. I have no idea when is the right time. Plus people I know don't really get "Live long and prosper" >.<

That surprises me, even people that have never seen star trek that I know of say that.

Well, they probably don't know anything really about it, but in order to properly make fun of something, you have to know something about it.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games