Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

l00vecr4ft
  who?
  yes plz.
View Results

black sheeps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:46 am
And or maybe, it's just also another subculture :B But have many of us forgot the gothic ideology? To me I feel it is romanticism and neoromanticism, its based far more on aesthetics than ethics or politics. Nor was it used to be about that. Now infact, its more about the appearance, expressed via consumerism and materialistically. Now inside I love, adore with every essence and fiber of my body the fashion, art, film, and most important literature. Now what's your opinon on this subject, what brings out your inner gothic-esque ways. Or are you just a shell, a decoration of chains, bondage pants, white face painted eyes? There's nothing wrong with it, either way. What are the thoughts of yourself in the future?

Quote:
A recent study by Sussex University suggests that goths are likely to grow up to be doctors, lawyers or architects, and that goths are usually intelligent, refined and sensitive, and keen on poetry and books

BBC NEWS  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:30 am
happythoughtstoday
And or maybe, it's just also another subculture :B But have many of us forgot the gothic ideology? To me I feel it is romanticism and neoromanticism, its based far more on aesthetics than ethics or politics. Nor was it used to be about that. Now infact, its more about the appearance, expressed via consumerism and materialistically. Now inside I love, adore with every essence and fiber of my body the fashion, art, film, and most important literature. Now what's your opinon on this subject, what brings out your inner gothic-esque ways. Or are you just a shell, a decoration of chains, bondage pants, white face painted eyes? There's nothing wrong with it, either way. What are the thoughts of yourself in the future?

Quote:
A recent study by Sussex University suggests that goths are likely to grow up to be doctors, lawyers or architects, and that goths are usually intelligent, refined and sensitive, and keen on poetry and books

BBC NEWS

I, in the future, will be working in CDC (center for disease control) as a molecular biophysicist. If your asking, in the future, do you see yourself changing? This make up, these chains, and these belts will remain regardless.

I will agree with the summation that I am a shell, a decoration of chains, bondage pants and so much more than most shall ever consider giving me credit for. However, I view such people as steps for me to assend higher.

I also fit your quote.

><

ieatyourtclol

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 am
Quote:

BBC NEWS

well i might be a lawyer...and people say that i'd be good at it. i do fit some qualities there...

and i must show this to my parents...this could mean my salvation and the day when i can finnally express myself and have personal freedom, eternal thanks to you...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:39 am
Quote:

I totally agree with that, although I never thought of it before. I myself want to attend medical school and eventually become either a surgeon or pathologist. I can also say that I am refined, sensitive, and I adore literature of all types. Although I don't like to admit it often, I am also intelligent in the eyes of many people.  

_darkened_tears_

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:29 pm
I think that goth, on a base level, is personality/mentally driven. Wearing the clothes or listening to the music doesn't make you a goth, but many goths have overlapping interest in certain styles of music and fashion. Likewise, I don't think you have to like books to be goth, but many goths like books.

With what I've said, someone might say "That's all nice, but you never said what goth is".

Well, I did, indirectly. Goths, as I briefly said, have overlapping interest. I believe that the group and the movement is defined by the common interests held by the group. Victorian fashion, post-punk fashion, goth-rock, darkwave, tragic/dramatic literature, romance, gothic architecture, etc. are all things that goths commonly like, and it's this common interest that makes the group.

I also would agree with the statement about goths being "intelligent, refined and sensitive, and keen on poetry and books,". Many goths I know (including myself) deeply love artistic expression, and like to understand the expression both emotionally and intellectually.

All these statements are ofcourse, challenged by the stereotypes maintained by the mallcore cultures. Mallgoths, posuer-goths, skin-goths, kindergoths, M&M's... whatever you want to call them. The typically moronic teenagers who bang their heads to koRn and Marilyn Manson, wear nothing but Hot Topic items (which more often than not are totally absent of goth-fashion influence, but are rather a mash of "emo"-mallcore, metalhead, and "punk"-mallcore), and say "******** You!" to anyone who isn't exactly like them. It's these people that make it so much harder for the rest of the culture (or for the actual culture, some might say).  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:17 pm
To me there's a bit of blur as to what the word goth means. To me, there are several types of goth.

First, there is the goth based off of music. There is a very clear-cut way to determine if you're this sort of goth, because you must listen to 'goth' music. If you don't, you're not.

The second is more of the artistic-romantic goth. This is where things start to get blurry. Those in this group are the sort of people who love to read and write, to paint and to play music. But, the variation from a normal artist is that the poetry, the paintings, and the general interst are on things that are slightly darker, or taboo to the general public.

The last is the mall goth. There is no real dark undertone, no intellecutalism, none of the romanticism that makes the previous type of goth so intrigueing. It's simply chains and spikes and things to shock people and throw them off. Basically, it's a scary shell to a normal person.

Personally, I fall into all three of these categories.

Oh, and I love the quote. I plan on going into nano-robotics. Go smart people!  

DieiNoctis

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:52 pm
The article could hold some slight truth to it, I suppose.

I really don't know many other people of the gothy sort, so I can't really say much on the part of the Gothic subculture as a whole.

However, I for one am quite intelligent, though I do have problems in certain areas. I used to be in the most advanced program my school district had to offer, but in my freshman year of High School I was gripped by depression, and my schoolwork was never able to recover after I had missed so much due to my tear-filled days of frustration and self-pity. However, now I'm much better, and since the final quarter of my freshman year onwards I've been taking honors classes, and doing extremely well. I love learning new things, though I'm not always too fond of learning in a fully-structured enviroment, nor learning what others wish for me to know. Yet dispite all of that, I do what my teachers ask of me, since it's usually pretty simple stuff.

However, in tewrms of so-called 'succuss' in life, in a majority of work enviroments I would simply be unable to survive. I may be intelligent, but I don't like structure or authourity. I truly thrive in an enviroment of entropy and freedom with a laied-back attitude, as opposed to the average american place of work. I am going to go to college, though my strange personality will drastically limit what careers I could survive in, but I was thinking of perhaps becoming a teacher or massage therapist.

It is possible that the gothic subculture on a whole tends to be more intellectual than other subcultures, mainly because of the emphasis placed on the arts and literature.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:59 am
I read about that. They say it's because many goths were teased and/or social outcasts (i.e. nerds, study freaks, kids who care) in elementary and middle school, so they turn goth in late middle and high school. They still care about learning, but they dress differently and group together with like minded individuals.

I didn't have it easy in elementary school. I was a fat kid. I can admit it, but I started dressing goth more because I just thought it looked good, and then I got into a lot of the music and that only solidified my thought of "Damn, I like this. I don't look bad, this music kicks a**, and the other goths in school are pretty nice." So it stuck.  

Deadside Dreams

ChiRubian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 am
The victim isn't dead, silly child...

Of course it's a mindset. Everything we know and think is based solely upon the perception of the individual. It's like asking what is real and what is illusion, it's different for every person.

User Image
...he just smells funny.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:49 am
I think goth is mainly just a mindset, what a person likes, and what they do. simple as.

In response to your poll, IƤ!

lola_siannodel
Quote:

Man, I have to remember that.

Heh, I really like that, instead or parents pressuring their child to revise more, they'll be pressuring their child to wear black.

or not.  

CapnAlex

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:19 pm
Cool article. Some of the comments underneath it were pretty dumb though.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:40 pm
GilAskan
I think that goth, on a base level, is personality/mentally driven. Wearing the clothes or listening to the music doesn't make you a goth, but many goths have overlapping interest in certain styles of music and fashion. Likewise, I don't think you have to like books to be goth, but many goths like books.

With what I've said, someone might say "That's all nice, but you never said what goth is".

Well, I did, indirectly. Goths, as I briefly said, have overlapping interest. I believe that the group and the movement is defined by the common interests held by the group. Victorian fashion, post-punk fashion, goth-rock, darkwave, tragic/dramatic literature, romance, gothic architecture, etc. are all things that goths commonly like, and it's this common interest that makes the group.

I also would agree with the statement about goths being "intelligent, refined and sensitive, and keen on poetry and books,". Many goths I know (including myself) deeply love artistic expression, and like to understand the expression both emotionally and intellectually.

All these statements are ofcourse, challenged by the stereotypes maintained by the mallcore cultures. Mallgoths, posuer-goths, skin-goths, kindergoths, M&M's... whatever you want to call them. The typically moronic teenagers who bang their heads to koRn and Marilyn Manson, wear nothing but Hot Topic items (which more often than not are totally absent of goth-fashion influence, but are rather a mash of "emo"-mallcore, metalhead, and "punk"-mallcore), and say "******** You!" to anyone who isn't exactly like them. It's these people that make it so much harder for the rest of the culture (or for the actual culture, some might say).
Wow that was really great.Did you have to think as you typed all that or did it just come off the top of your head?  

Awesome Akwardness

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces