Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the DEAD FATE of EMOS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:38 pm
What exactly is a prep?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:25 pm
There are a number of defintions to "prep". Like "Goth", there are popular definitions, as well as lesser known definitions.

Various Definitions I've heard:

Prep: Another term for an upper-class WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)

Prep: A member of the upper-class (or "privelaged") who attends private preparatory school. This defintion is commonly believed to be the root of the term, even if it no longer reflects the group.

Prep: A snooty or conceited teenager who follows popular fashion trends (Hollister, Abercrombie, etc.) and listens to popular music (Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, etc.) in order to climb the social ladder.

Prep: Another term for poser.

Prep: Someone who follows fads.

I'm not saying any of these are right or wrong. These are just things I've read and heard thrown around. Many people in this thread, without a doubt, will argue at least one or two of these defintions.

Here's Wikipedia's defintion for the common or slang usage:

Wikipedia.org
In recent years, young people have begun to use the term "preppy" as slang to describe those who appear clean-cut or strive to seem better off financially than others in an upper-middle class environment. In most regions, especially amongst young people, this usage has virtually replaced the traditional meaning of the word. Used in this manner, "preppy" is often applied contrary to the term's mainstream meaning stated above, as the slang version most often describes 'nouveau riche', publicly-educated people absorbed in the middle class hypermaterialistic pop culture pursuit of quality-made goods sold at prices for those who can pay for the best and most fashionable. As such, teenagers often apply this slang label to popular clothing not characteristic of "prepdom" such as American Eagle, abercrombie, Hollister Co., and Abercrombie and Fitch (prior to the original company's bankruptcy in 1977, it in fact was a prep staple). However, the "New England prep" image is still strongly associated with current use of the word. Abercrombie's clothes, for example, often reference lacrosse, rugby, and crew; sports typically linked with the outdoorsy New England lifestyle.

Again, I'm neither saying that this is right or wrong. Just saying what has been told to me.  

GilAskan
Crew

grotesquekreeple

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:50 am
i agree that all of those definitions apply to kids in my county but i wont say that all of trhem apply to every prep because judging is bad  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:11 pm
GilAskan
There are a number of defintions to "prep". Like "Goth", there are popular definitions, as well as lesser known definitions.

Various Definitions I've heard:

Prep: Another term for an upper-class WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)

Prep: A member of the upper-class (or "privelaged") who attends private preparatory school. This defintion is commonly believed to be the root of the term, even if it no longer reflects the group.

Prep: A snooty or conceited teenager who follows popular fashion trends (Hollister, Abercrombie, etc.) and listens to popular music (Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, etc.) in order to climb the social ladder.

I'm not saying any of these are right or wrong. These are just things I've read and heard thrown around. Many people in this thread, without a doubt, will argue at least one or two of these defintions.

Here's Wikipedia's defintion for the common or slang usage:

Wikipedia.org
In recent years, young people have begun to use the term "preppy" as slang to describe those who appear clean-cut or strive to seem better off financially than others in an upper-middle class environment. In most regions, especially amongst young people, this usage has virtually replaced the traditional meaning of the word. Used in this manner, "preppy" is often applied contrary to the term's mainstream meaning stated above, as the slang version most often describes 'nouveau riche', publicly-educated people absorbed in the middle class hypermaterialistic pop culture pursuit of quality-made goods sold at prices for those who can pay for the best and most fashionable. As such, teenagers often apply this slang label to popular clothing not characteristic of "prepdom" such as American Eagle, abercrombie, Hollister Co., and Abercrombie and Fitch (prior to the original company's bankruptcy in 1977, it in fact was a prep staple). However, the "New England prep" image is still strongly associated with current use of the word. Abercrombie's clothes, for example, often reference lacrosse, rugby, and crew; sports typically linked with the outdoorsy New England lifestyle.

Again, I'm neither saying that this is right or wrong. Just saying what has been told to me.

I'd have to agree.^^  

Kamadev

Beware of Falling Objects

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:43 pm

these are the ones im my school.... stare and i hate them all  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:19 pm
a prep is someone who wears all abercrombie and fitch, hollister, those sorts of clothes. that's how i see a prep  

WeissVicious

acana_marrionett

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:28 pm
only one thing a preps are A PAIN IN THE a**!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:39 pm
i really dont like the preps at my school
they all have a thing against guys who wear make up  

poncho steve

objektiv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:51 pm
A prep is not really the way you dress (I wear Abercrombie and am the first one to laugh at a dark joke that makes all the "non-goths" uncomfortable)but its your mindset and what you listen to and its just you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Prep: anybody with a "holyer then thou" adittude. You can reconize them by the snear and the patronizing tone of voice.  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

2aetH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:13 pm
I use "prep" in exchange with "jock" all the time.

Anyone who's on twenty different sports teams, thinks they're better than everyone else, shops at Abercrombie and Banana Republic because they're "cool", keeps up with trends for no reason, and sneers at people who try to express their individuality is a prep.

Or a jerk, which is also exchanged with prep at various points.

It's also one of the best insults to throw at people.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:29 pm
im.my.own.worst.enemy

these are the ones im my school.... stare and i hate them all

dido i agree *mutters under breath* stupid preps why wont they just die.  

DragonShadowWing

DragonShadowWing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:30 pm
Raethyn Sarachael

Anyone who's on twenty different sports teams, thinks they're better than everyone else, shops at Abercrombie and Banana Republic because they're "cool", keeps up with trends for no reason, and sneers at people who try to express their individuality is a prep.

hahah yeah i agree  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:10 pm
I'd like to briefly point out the hypocrisy of a few posts. Many people here have been saying "I hate them! They wear stupid, mainstream clothes and listen to popular bands and think they're better than everyone! They should all die!" about preps.

However, saying that is no different than someone saying "I hate all goths! They all wear stupid, freaky, all-black clothes, and listen to screaming death-metal, and worship satan!".

In both cases, the statements are based on popular, and potentially wrong, beliefs and stereotypes. for example....

Raethyn Sarachael

Oh, really?

I use "goth" in exchange with "freak" all the time.

Anyone who's on twenty different internet forums, thinks they're cooler than everyone else, shops at Hot Topic because they're "cool", avoids trends for no reason, and sneers at anyone who isn't just like them is a goth.

Or a satanist, which is also exchangable with prep at various points.

/parody of hypocrisy.  

GilAskan
Crew

xAsh-chanx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm
GilAskan I love your point. I think that you're at the same level at them if you insult them but you get mad when they insult you.

D:  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces