Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Chronicles of Pridain

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vroxyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:06 am
Anybody know about the chronicles of pridain by Lloyd Alexander? I bought the five books in the series but I didn't read them yet. Tell me what you thought of them. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:47 am
I read them a long time ago, so I don't remember them very well, but I do remember that I liked them.  

Veramel

Vroxyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:55 am
LOL !!!!!
Thanx for telling me!
Keep checking for new replies cause i might
remind you the story!lol rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:12 pm
what's it about?  

xpumkynxmonkiex

Sol-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:01 pm
I loved that series!! (btw, it's Prydain, not Pridain..)
I read them in... 5th? grade, maybe 6th. They were a lot of fun!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:06 pm
It's been a while since I've read them but I do remember enjoying them very much. If I'm thinking of the right series then there are some humorous parts that are worth reading. Overall, while it is slightly plagaristic from Lord of the Rings it's a good solid read. If you bought them then definately read them.  

doodlebuggey88

Julri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:40 pm
I used to love those books when I was younger! My favorite of his books is still The Arkadians, though.

ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 am
They're fun & definitely worth reading. They draw more on Welsh myth than Tolkien does, and though there are some similiarities, I would not call them derivative.  

Bookwyrme

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:04 pm
I have to say I read them in 5th grade and have re read them at least seven times since then. I love them, and I think they are great to read, even after you have "grown up"

I do think that the Black Cauldron, Castle of Llyr and The High King are the best of the 5, but really the whole series goes together well. They are the books that made me love Lloyd Alexander as a storyteller.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:06 am
I think they're the best he's written.

Though, to be fair, I read them and had them read to me when I was a kid & found the others later, so there is probably a certain amount of nostalgia involved in that assessment.  

Bookwyrme

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:03 pm
Bookwyrme
I think they're the best he's written.

I'd wholeheartedly agree. Some of his other series are good, with his Westmark/Kestrel series probably being the second best, but the Prydain Chronicles bring his style into epic fantasy. They other books all have the feeling of "lesser" or more "common" adventures. Still good reads, certainly, but Prydain takes his ideas and puts them into a grand scale.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:14 am
I have all 5 books as well as the Westmark Trilogy by L. Alexander. I read all those books back in middle school (a long long time ago lol) and loved them. I just never got around to buying them under later when I had a job. I remember there was even a computer game for Black Cauldron that I would play in the library computer area. This was before the Internet, before IMing, and we had the big clunky monitors LOL.  

Darth_Magus1

deltora_gal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:15 am
I love that book! It was probably the best he wrote. I'm a huge Loyd Alexander fan! (may he rest in peace crying )  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:48 am
I love these books and think that they aren't as popular as they should be  

murphyad

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas