Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Emo vs. The World Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ramen_House

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:14 pm
Why does everyone these days seem to hate emos? I'm not an emo myself, just in case you were wondering. I mean everyone seems to stereotype them at middle class cutters with black hair and no people people skills. I feel bad for them actually, emos against the world. I think that all outcasts everywhere should band together and take over the social ladder and maybe McDonalds or something. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:30 pm
i think that emos really are only identified as such by those who wish to persecute them in a simple, no thought involved kind of way....  

Shadow_people

Washu--sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:39 pm
Personally I love emos. ^^ But I agree. Well not about the Mc'D thing. Sorry not big on that food.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 pm
I think it's because after awhile they all start to look/act/seem pretty much exactly the same, and the novelty wears off and a lot of people begin to think, "Okay, you and your MCR and Fall Out Boy need to stop crying and go rot in the corner." I don't think that... I actually think stereotypical emo kids are kinda cute. Like, "Awww, that's so sweet..." Y'know? Reference Hope Is Emo. I think she's so sweet... Y'know, like, "Aww, poor Hope. Maybe if I gave you a big hug I could cheer you up a little."  

EvFaerAshlynn

Ndoki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:52 pm
Well from what I know/have been told about emo it makes no sense to me. Emo is short for emotion right? I have emotions, I'm emotional sometimes, but I'm not emo, and I don't feel like seperating myself from others because of that... on top of that I can't stand people who sit in their basements and mope all day for attention. There are much more productive ways to go about life.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:08 pm
Emo(tional)s are people that stereotypically have strong emotions, most commonly known is the downs, were they 'cut their wrists' because they can't deal with it all. Oddly, most emo's I know are bi-polar, or seem it. Very cheery and boyant, can't stop hugging, and then their like upset about 10x more than normal people are for whatever reason. *1* Emo's seem like punks that have gone through way to much sensitivity training or something. Now I will admit this, there is something about emos (mostly the guys) that makes me want to hurt them, either a punch to the face, or hurt their emotions (ironically) BUT I don't. Some are in it for being trendy (i will punch them) some because they just are that way(usually i would be friends with them) and some who are seriously doing it as a cry for attention. The last ones usually cut becaue, 1 they want to die, 2 they want people to see and help them, 3 they cut because they know they won't beheld entirly responsible if its part of the trend stereotype. ##This does not cover all the reasons, or relate to every 'Emo' person. This is mostly my opinion and what I've seen/gone through with 'Emo's'##

*1* Side note, 80's their was Punk, then deathrockers (responsible for alot most don't know about), 90's it became Goth, now in the (20)00's its Emo.

P.S. I'm an Emo at heart, but I know how to cope, or atleast pretend to, so no one actually realises it. As far as anybody know, I'm a punkish Goth (deathrocker!)

Thats my Rayne alright, lol.
l l l
l l l
v v  

Dorian Requiem

RaynieDays

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:22 pm
I have nothing against emos but I'm starting to have something against the "Oh woe is me why does everyone hate emos" threads.
It's like you're asking to hear negative stereotypes. I don't mean to sound bitter or anything but if "emos" would like to just live their lives and have people leave them alone, then quit bringing up topics which basically ask others to bash them.
This topic is so overdone. No matter where you go in gaia you can ALWAYS find this EXACT same topic.
Everywhere.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:26 pm
Emo actually means "EMOTIVE" rock, NOT "emotional". (and please for the love of all things holy and sacred no same old tired complaints of labelling or sterotyping. Emo is just another genre of music like punk, rap and soul. Get over it. (I'm not anti-emo, read the whole damn thing before you get your panties in a twist.)

I too am a little fed up of people bitching about emos, the whole sub-genre is completely misunderstood.

There is nothing intrisically special with emos emotionally, just that I have found they are more aware of their emotions and show them more overtly, to say that they are magically different humans, like a black-clad genetic mutation, is a little odd to say the least.

In emo(tive) rock, the ldeal is authentic, deeply felt emotion that defies rational analysis, hense in emo subculture, deeper emotions are acceptable, if not expected. The only problem for the emo image is that sadness and anger are the easiest emotions to express and write songs about* and so, there are now thousands of people walking around (including emos themselves) that think emo is just about becoming a depressed wreck of a human being because your hamster went to the big wheel in the sky.

I could go into a nice psychological explanation of why emo-boys are so well hated by other guys, but I'll probably only do that if people are willing to read it....

*(yes, emo songs about happiness and love ARE out there, the only problem is that most emo bands think it's all about whining.)  

Isobel Bellamy

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:36 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Emo actually means "EMOTIVE" rock, NOT "emotional". (and please for the love of all things holy and sacred no same old tired complaints of labelling or sterotyping. Emo is just another genre of music like punk, rap and soul. Get over it. (I'm not anti-emo, read the whole damn thing before you get your panties in a twist.)

I too am a little fed up of people bitching about emos, the whole sub-genre is completely misunderstood.

There is nothing intrisically special with emos emotionally, just that I have found they are more aware of their emotions and show them more overtly, to say that they are magically different humans, like a black-clad genetic mutation, is a little odd to say the least.

In emo(tive) rock, the ldeal is authentic, deeply felt emotion that defies rational analysis, hense in emo subculture, deeper emotions are acceptable, if not expected. The only problem for the emo image is that sadness and anger are the easiest emotions to express and write songs about* and so, there are now thousands of people walking around (including emos themselves) that think emo is just about becoming a depressed wreck of a human being because your hamster went to the big wheel in the sky.

I could go into a nice psychological explanation of why emo-boys are so well hated by other guys, but I'll probably only do that if people are willing to read it....

*(yes, emo songs about happiness and love ARE out there, the only problem is that most emo bands think it's all about whining.)

*claps* you are correct, to what I've researched, at least.

Why do people hate emos exactly? The same reason people hate goths: Dumb teenagers who spread the stereotypes.

Emo is a legitimate style and culture, however, mallcore have warped it. What they call "emo bands" are mostly powerpop (MCR, FOB, P!atD, etc.). What they call "emo fashion" is more closely related to fem-skater fashion. Etcetera.

Evanescence is to goth as My Chemical Romance is to emo.
Satan worship is to goth as cutting is to emo.

Stereotypes, false, and supported by teenagers who have little idea what they're talking about.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:58 pm
I have to say, I am ashamed, but I just realised i changed something to help average/mundane (as someone put it) people understand something, and this guild is probly considerably more short handed in that area then most. I won't change my post to look less like an idiot.

GilAskan

Point, cry for attention, doing it because they think it is part of the trend, and wouldn't be entirly to blame for it. Basically I'm saying its someone trying to find they are cared about, and would basically be a 'poser' as they aren't really that way.

I love emotive rock, and anything that has strongly felt emotions, before, after, or a different style of music, from 'Emo'. Sadly I also like power-pop and FOB. Something about 'Emo' boys makes me *want* to hurt them, but I know thats no reason to do it, so I don't. I don't like the fact I want to hurt some one for being a certain way.  

Dorian Requiem

Dorian Requiem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:00 pm
I feel a little off today. If brains were bodies, today mine would be bloated, and have a stuffed nose.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:00 pm
GilAskan

*claps* you are correct, to what I've researched, at least.

Why do people hate emos exactly? The same reason people hate goths: Dumb teenagers who spread the stereotypes.

Emo is a legitimate style and culture, however, mallcore have warped it. What they call "emo bands" are mostly powerpop (MCR, FOB, P!atD, etc.). What they call "emo fashion" is more closely related to fem-skater fashion. Etcetera.

Stereotypes, false, and supported by teenagers who have little idea what they're talking about.

Hm, yes mostly, but there's also a deeper reason *switches to psychoanalysit mode*

The problem of emo-boys and other male society

In society it is only really acceptable for men to display a small range of emotions, aggresiveness, competitiveness and anger being the most widely accetable, anything more and you're verging on over-emotionality and hense: cissyness*. The very slight but glaring problem is: emotive rock is about expressing feelings and expressing them deply. By male society's rules, these guys are cissys. The mainly disturbing part is that they don't seem to comprehend it's a bad thing to show emotion, and therefore be a cissy, deeply distressing to another guy (guys, don't argue with it, I've seen it to often!). Even to associate with an emo would undermine all macho-maleness in a non-emo.

Of course, this is not the whole problem with the problem of the emo-subcultre's image, it's also becuase the vast majority of emos push it over the edge and yes, don't fully understand exactly what emo is. Emo is just like Goth where there are people that don't fully understand the roots and what 'true' emo music is.

*because being anything other than being a jerk makes you a girl biggrin  

Isobel Bellamy

Dorian Requiem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:14 pm
(I spell cissy this way, sissy) Thats one of the reason why most of my friends are girls. They have an emotional range, beyond those 3 Isobel Bellamy listed. I really can't think now, its getting harder, but on the point of 'sissiness' distress other guys, I understand that it also has something that relates to the fact many men are homophobic. (being an artist[male], raised by a male artist, lol) I am intouch with my emotions, but I understand them, and think fairly logically so I don't usually have to exhibit extreme signs of the emotions to deal with them.

Edited; I'm dropping this until I can complete a normal thought process.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:24 pm
Isobel Bellamy

Yay, someone actually knows.
I thought I would have to go into a rant about how and what emo people are/do.

heart

[ Die Katze ]

BlairyFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:34 pm
Ndoki
Well from what I know/have been told about emo it makes no sense to me. Emo is short for emotion right? I have emotions, I'm emotional sometimes, but I'm not emo, and I don't feel like seperating myself from others because of that... on top of that I can't stand people who sit in their basements and mope all day for attention. There are much more productive ways to go about life.
First off, emo does not mean emotional, second most emo's do not mope around all day, most of them are very HAPPY.

And to the subject, I'm not emo(my username was some random thing I wanted.) and I think people who make fun of them are horrible and scared of what they don't know. Same with people who "hate" goths.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff