Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Vi's breakthrough!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

La Violetta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:41 pm
Attention all vegans, ovo-vegetarians, and all others who don't eat cheese or don't want to! I think I may have found a vegan alternative to cheese. It's still in the early stages of experimentation. Its ingredients: Soybean powder and margarine.
I found this after my doctor told me I wasn't eating right, so later when my dad took me shopping, I bought protein powder from Trader Joe's made entirely from soybeans. This was yesterday. Today I decided I had to find something to eat it with. So when I made some toast for breakfast and spread margarine on it, I also spread on a thin layer of soybean powder. Oddly enough, it tasted like a cheese spread, of sorts.
I have yet to see if this will work as a pizza topping, plain "cheese," or anything else that can be made with regular cheese. I will be experimenting with this. If you want to help, go right ahead.
Now I know that some of you may try this and go, "Eww! This is nothing like cheese! What is she thinking?" How do I know? Because that's what I thought when I tried nutritional yeast. Some say it tastes like cheese. I personally beg to differ. But hopefully, at least some people will try this idea and like it.
In this thread, I'll put all the recipes I find that I've made with this mixture. If you choose to help me with this, please do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:45 pm
Toast with "Cheese Spread" (Vegan)

Ingredients: Bread, margarine, soybean powder.

Toast 1 slice of bread in a toaster. Spread a thin, even layer of margarine over it. Spread another thin, even layer of soybean powder over it, making sure to press it into the margarine. It should look yellowish and wet. Eat and enjoy!

Makes 1 serving, feel free to multiply.

(Sorry, that wasn't the most descriptive.)

La Violetta

La Violetta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:00 pm
Here's an improved version of the "cheese" spread, which can also be used as a dip.

Mix equal parts soybean powder and margarine. Make sure they are completeley mixed. If desired, add a dash of salt to taste.

This is good over toast, as a dip for crackers, and probably a few other things.

Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games