Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Dyed crystal and frog purses Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aesi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:29 pm
In the store where I work, we have geodes which have had a dye applied to them. They are colored in bright pinks and blues and greens.

We also have frog purses. That is, cane toads whose skins have been made into purses, cell phone holders, bow ties, etc.

Now, we get a lot more people complaining about cruelty to the frogs (which are killed humanely) than about the crystals.

This bothers me. In my opinion, the frog bags are far less disturbing. The cane toads are destroying the islands they've been transplanted to. And the farmers are paying the government to get rid of them. Well, the government could sell the toads to a research organizations for about a penny per unit, or the government can sell them to the craftsman who buys them for a couple dollars apiece. Given that millions of these things need to be killed, the farmers would have to pay a huge amount of money out-of-pocket. But this way, the government can waive some of the cost, protecting their economy and ecology together.

Meanwhile, natural crystals are dyed only to make them more eye-catching. They look horribly tacky to me. Even the stone matrix catches the dye, turning it splotchy and making it look more chalky.

Which of these would you like better? Both products came from man's tampering with nature, so how far do you think is too far when it comes to altering the earth?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:20 pm
I think your personal aesthetic isn't a valid point of reference for a universal judgment on the morals of mankind affecting materials within their world.

That is to say- save for your store misrepresenting these stones as something they aren’t, what you think is tacky and what you don’t think is tacky isn’t a universal standard for attractiveness (otherwise they wouldn’t be making/selling/reselling these stones).

This is no more "man tampering with nature" then they dyes you use for your clothing or the material you make your shoes of- and if you call the skinning and tanning of an animal to be "tampering with nature", then mankind has always done it and will always do it- no matter how you slice it because clothing has to come from somewhere.
rolleyes  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:03 pm
emo I know, I know. Okay, so I tend view the world by my ideals. Not smart. At least it'll cause a lot of disappointment.

But this particularly instance just seems so skewed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:16 pm
Well, the cane toad's a different kind of "tampering with nature" altogether, in my eyes. People introducing animals into ecosystems with only the thought of the immediate single effect it will have, without thought of what effect it may have on the remainder of the ecosystem. I'll admit, I think a dyed geode's butt-ugly, but that's just usually because the color, as Aesi pointed out, is usually very off-kilter and obviously fake. Doesn't offend my sensibilities, just my aesthetics. I'll take the cane toad purse, though - can you stamp mine with "redeeming a stupid mistake, one immortal amphibian at a time"?  

Henry Dorsett Case

Aesi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:37 pm
-laughs- I'll write it with a leather burning kit, how's that? Toad leather's thin and crinkly, but pretty resistant to the iron. Believe me, I've seen kids testing them. ^^;

It's sad to me that people are happy with a piece of crystal that took thousands of years to be created and then suddenly stuck with a hideous facade just because someone thought it would sell. Meanwhile, they chew me out about how unethical it is to make use of these toads, a problem we created, that'd probably just end up ashes, otherwise.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:38 pm
Hmm, I've got to say that I'm on the side of the toads. It's just a question of wheather these toads will get another chance at life. While the crystals can still be made back into rock, the toads can't be toads again. Simple.  

Wings Akimbo

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:09 pm
Crazy Bananna
Hmm, I've got to say that I'm on the side of the toads. It's just a question of wheather these toads will get another chance at life. While the crystals can still be made back into rock, the toads can't be toads again. Simple.
Yes. Because frogs slaughtering native populations is so much better than a bit of dye on some rocks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Crazy Bananna
Yes. Because frogs slaughtering native populations is so much better than a bit of dye on some rocks.

Do it for the Northern Quoll!

Actually, I've got a friend who works for the Oz gov't. - she recently confided in me that if she sees a cane toad on the road, she swerves - and usually sees a couple cars following suit. That being toward the toad, mind you.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:55 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Crazy Bananna

Actually, I've got a friend who works for the Oz gov't. - she recently confided in me that if she sees a cane toad on the road, she swerves - and usually sees a couple cars following suit. That being toward the toad, mind you.
I don't blame her. They're a blight. Just like the feral cats and the rabbits.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:05 pm
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case

Don't blame her? Hell, I commend her. Then again, that might be because she's one of only three females I'd gladly pick up and move to be closer to.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:16 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case

Don't blame her? Hell, I commend her. Then again, that might be because she's one of only three females I'd gladly pick up and move to be closer to.
I had that effect on my husband. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:06 pm
TeaDidikai

*chuckles* You're the one of those three that I'm *not* interested in in any romantic sense.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:22 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai

*chuckles* You're the one of those three that I'm *not* interested in in any romantic sense.
Wait... did you just admit that you feel like packing up and moving to be closer to me? eek  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:29 pm
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai

Wait... did you just admit that you feel like packing up and moving to be closer to me? eek

Yeah, pretty much. I'd move closer to Wing, too, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't count as female.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:41 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai

Yeah, pretty much. I'd move closer to Wing, too, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't count as female.
If you want proof one way or the other, you can always bid on the pics.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff