Laura
  Patrick
  Ruth
  Ellen
  Ted
View Results

Iganie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 am
Who was your favorite Character out of the five main ones?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:21 pm
I read the first book, and wasn't very impressed, so I didn't read any more. They just didn't spark enough interest for me to want to read the other two, so I didn't. Actually, I really don't remember the plot or characters at all. Except for one scene with the bitter hot chocolate and the girl thinking she'd been poisoned.  

NightIntent
Captain

Rhiannen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:25 pm
I'll go with Ted, just for the growth he makes when he suddenly has to become kingly, but I have to agree with Night Intent. The books went downhill for me after the first one, and I wasn't riveted with that.

They're quite popular though, so you're not alone in liking them.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:08 pm
They are some of my favorite books ever.

It is true that Pamela Dean has trouble with pacing--almost all of her books have an 'Oops, gotta end' moment, but I enjoy the rambly walk through the worlds she creates too much to mind.

I like Laura, though what I really want is to see what she becomes as she grows up. That'll probably never happen, though. Dean used to say she was going to write a sequel to them & The Dubious Hills but it's been years now, and she's also in a band, so . . .  

Bookwyrme

Veramel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:31 am
I remember reading all of the books and vaguely liking them, but I can't remember very much of what happened, or, unfortunately, any of the characters. I'm sorry.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:10 am
She really is writing that sequel! It's called Going North and will be out sometime in the fall or winter of this year. She describes it as a "joint sequel" to Whim of the Dragon and The Dubious Hills. How she is going to manage that combo is beyond me, but I'm looking forward to the book, anyway.  

Bookwyrme

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff