Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Help for a home unseen Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aesi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:54 am
I'm moving today and woke up this morning with nerves of solid Jello. I'm not worried about the move itself, but my apartment. This was the only day when I'd be able to transport my things so I agreed to take the apartment as is. The previous residents only moved out three days ago and the managers haven't had time to do much cleaning.

But I haven't had time to go look at my new apartment! I'm a little worried about its condition. "As is" property gives a person images of missing walls, refrigerators left undefrosted for years, a murphy bed that can't be put back in the wall... Okay, forget worried. I'm scared!

Well, okay, that kind of stuff can be fixed. But the people who leave the damage I fear from hearing "as is" leave a lot of "environmental junk" as well. I do not know how to -properly- clear out a new residence so that it will stay clean and peaceful.

Suggestions, please?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:04 am
Smudge stick. 3nodding And maybe a broom.

And good luck in your new apartment. I know moving isn't easy but after a while you'll probably settle down fine and have the fun of exploring a new neighbourhood and meeting new people. Hope it all goes well for you.  

Pelta

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:29 am
Also, calm down.

I was in my apartment for 2 years. If you moved into my apartment as is-you might have to clean, but nothing would be wrong.

(in other words, I just got my full security deposit back, yo!)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 am
Yeah, throw open the windows and smudge that sucker up! I love sage, so I may be biased. Work with some visualization of pushing out old energies, too. I mark up windows and mirrors with garlic to keep 'em out, but I'm more paranoid than most. Oh yeah, and if you're into Ceremonial Magic at all, I highly recommend the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. Tried and true by all my friends who had similar problems and asked me my advice. Whenever I call my mom whining about something bad, she prescribes the LBRP.

When I was in college and moved around a lot to skeezy studio apartments, bashed up dorm rooms, abandoned houses and even a boat, I blessed a set of objects to ward a room and make it mine. There were four pennies to put in each corner, and a shrine to put on a dresser or shelf. Perhaps a set of blessed objects to make each house a home would help you be less creeped out by other distractions.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:09 pm
Couple things- you mentioned an interest in Jewish mysticism earlier. You may want to invest in a masuszah (sp?) for your new home.

Within the realm of eclectic practice- have I mentioned how much I adore Yasmine Galenorn's book: Embracing the Moon. Personal bias aside, she has a whole chapter on moving in and moving out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:30 pm
One worry about sage; it tends to have an odor that many might mistake for pot. If you are worried about potentialy confusing/upseting the neighbors with very peculiar odors, you might also think of using salt.

I've always liked salt. whee

In any event, blessing some saltwater and the giving the walls a good scrubing and the floor a good washing might be the ticker. If the floor is carpeted uh...well then I have no clue. sweatdrop

Grats on the new place btw.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Kuroiban
One worry about sage; it tends to have an odor that many might mistake for pot. If you are worried about potentialy confusing/upseting the neighbors with very peculiar odors, you might also think of using salt.
I'm not the kind of person who has ever been worried about what the neighbors thought. But that's just me.

Quote:

I've always liked salt. whee

In any event, blessing some saltwater and the giving the walls a good scrubbing and the floor a good washing might be the ticker. If the floor is carpeted uh...well then I have no clue. sweatdrop
Wonderful suggestion. I'll add a couple of generic things to this-

Citronella Oil is a classic Floor Wash to bring prosperity and get rid of "bad vibes".

If they haven't already steamed the carpet, you can use the blessed water in the carpet steamer.

Or- one can make a power using salt, herbs and the like and put it in the vacuum cleaner, cut with a bit of awakened (or Charged) oil. As the air circulates through, the fragrance will be released.

Also like a wash or a floor sweep- one can apply the principle to that which would be picked up by a vacuum.

What I do personally, usually involves a couple things- such as a good scrubbing of the place from top to bottom, then usually some Mugwort infusion is used to wash windows, mirrors and other "entry points", sweeps and floor washes are used, and lastly I hang what most people would call "charms". When all that is done, I invite my domovoi and call it good.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:17 pm
Mezuzah? I've been trying to find one offline for years. I finally have a debit card though, so I can get one online.

As for the LBR, I don't even have enough room in which to perform it. It's a teeny little studio. Most of the 425 square feet are taken up by the high ceilings, I think. Not really sure how these things are measured. But it's small.

And there did turn out to be a lot of damage. I don't have a freezer door and the freezer is just a little box in the fridge, so my milk is sitting in the crisper where it won't be spoiled by ice growing in it. I have to hold down my bathtub faucet for a few minutes to get the hot water coming out steadily. One of my cupboards is sitting on one hinge. My stove is putting out far more heat than the pilot lights should be accountable for. I have to hold my toilet's lever until it's flushed completely. The upper bar of my kitchen blinds is bent, and the blinds in the living room can't be turned up or down. Worse, the ones in my living room are stuck downward and it faces a steep yard on the level below, so passersby and the neighbors on the other side can see me going to bed! Even the security key they gave me to the front door doesn't fit the lock. Fortunately, the building is an extremely good one and their maintenance should have everything bad ordered and replaced in a couple weeks.

sweatdrop

At least the mattress to the murphy bed is brand-new, the hardwood floors are in good shape and the many mirrors aren't broken.  

Aesi

Aesi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:26 pm
Speaking of hardwood floors, which of those floor treatments would be safe for them?

Sage I don't think I could get away with, though I like it too. It's a drug-free, non-smoking building. I have a few seniors for neighbors there, and they aren't easy-going.

Visualization is good. That'll certainly help. No room for even a little shrine. A few discreet blessed objects, however, I can do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Aesi

As for the LBR, I don't even have enough room in which to perform it. It's a teeny little studio. Most of the 425 square feet are taken up by the high ceilings, I think. Not really sure how these things are measured. But it's small.
Really? If you can stand in one place and extend your arms in a full sphere without hitting anything you have room.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Aesi
Speaking of hardwood floors, which of those floor treatments would be safe for them?
Floor sweeps and washings will work just fine as long as you dry the washes afterwards.
Quote:

Sage I don't think I could get away with, though I like it too. It's a drug-free, non-smoking building. I have a few seniors for neighbors there, and they aren't easy-going.
You have the right to burn things in your apartment that aren't illegal. That is to say- if you like sage, use it, it's part of your rights.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:34 pm
I love to use sage, but unfortunaly, its hard on my mother's lungs, so I like to use Cinnamon incense instead. I get pretty good results with that.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Aesi

Really? If you can stand in one place and extend your arms in a full sphere without hitting anything you have room.

Indeed. I, while I like the LBR well enough, prefer to just clap and ring bells and then play music.

The clapping banishes any stagnant energy and the music acts as a reinforcement.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Aesi

o0 Oh? It's usually been suggested to me that a few feet of clearance is best. I couldn't understand why, unless they meant doing it in a full circle. As a meditation aid or other practice, you really only need room for your feet and arms to move comfortably, right?  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:54 pm
reagun ban

Indeed. I, while I like the LBR well enough, prefer to just clap and ring bells and then play music.

The clapping banishes any stagnant energy and the music acts as a reinforcement.
I crank my computer and play a specific very energetic song that is danced to.

One of the best cleanings was done with someone who is lost to me. We danced, me with my broom and "walking stick" and him with his staff and as we danced we snapped the wood together.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff