Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
TOFU Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mrs Joe Trohman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:03 pm
There are tons of good things you can do with tofu. Here is a recipe that sounds pretty good.

Scrambled:

Ingredients:
1 (12.3oz) pkg. Mori-NuĀ®Silken Lite Tofu Extra Firm
Nonstick spray
Olive oil (just a few drops)
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:
Instructions:

1. Cut open the box of tofu, and slide its contents into a medium-sized saucepan. Add water to cover, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then drain in a fine-mesh strainer. Transfer to a plate, and use a dinner knife to cut the tofu into pieces the size of large cottage cheese curds.

2. Place an 8-inch nonstick pan over medium heat and wait several minutes. Spray it lightly with nonstick spray, and add a little olive oil. Wait about 10 seconds, then swirl to coat the pan.

3. Add the tofu pieces, salt and a sprinkling of pepper; saute over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until the tofu is light golden brown.

4. Transfer to a plate and serve right away  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:32 am
Here's a recipe that I tried last week!:

Terriyaki Tofu:

-1 package extra-firm tofu
-2 cups of your favorite terriyaki sauce + anything you want to add to it (I added soy sauce, rice vinager, honey, garlic, and ginger)
-1 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)
-1 or 2 dried hot chilies (optional)
-1 package frozen 'stir-fry mix' veggies
-white rice

-After pressing as much water as you can out of the tofu, cut into bite-size cubes. Place in a plasic baggy or bowl, add 1/2 your sauce, and toss until well coated. Leave in the fridge to marinate for a few hours.

-Heat some oil in a medium/large wok. Add the tofu pieces, and allow to brown on all sides, turning once. Transfer the tofu out of the wok. If there are any floating bits left from the marinade, try to get them out of the oil b/c they'll burn up and taste bad. Add a little more oil to the pan, if its looks really low.

-Add the garlic and/or chilies to the oil, if desired. Add veggies. Stir until veggies are just heated through, about 10 minutes. Add tofu and sauce, stir until sauce coats everything lightly, and tofu is warmed back up. Serve over rice.

-If your sauce seems really thin, you can add a 'slurry' to thicken it. A slurry is a mix of 1 tbsp flour to 2 tbsps water. Mix this in a small bowl, until it makes a paste, then add it to the pan and cook for a few minutes to get the flour taste out.  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Juni chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:37 pm
I love tofu, which I guess means I'm pretty lucky, or else I might not be able to live this lifestyle. Anyway, GoVeg.com has a really great shepherd's pie recipe. I had a tofu shepherd's pie at a restaurant called Hugo's so I'm really excited to try this one at GoVeg.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:19 pm
I like marinating tofu in soy sauce then frying it with crushed garlic and chopped up chives.  

Astrox

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:58 am
Tofu ********' Y. U. M.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:08 pm

That does sound good.  

Astrox

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:17 pm
It's way better with deep-fried tofu than it is with the toasted stuff. Almost tastes like chicken nuggets.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:21 pm
i lurff tofu  

I Kaboom Kaboom

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:22 am
I like it marinated in a sesame-ginger sauce (1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 T fresh grated ginger, 1 t tahini) and then grilled with veggies. Yay for kabobs! 4laugh  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:05 pm
I love Tofu! I put it on homemade pizza with mushrooms, peppers, oinions and several different veggies Yum!  

mimmcie

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 pm
Almost forgot! My fav dessert: Tofu Mousse!

1 package soft tofu (for a pudding consistency; use firm/extra-firm for cheese cake-consistency)
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips or vegan substitute

Melt chocolate. Pour in a blender over tofu (break it into chunks so it mixes faster). Blend until you get a smooth consistency. Chill until firm.

Really yummy poured into a prepared gramn-cracker or oreo crust!

I know this kind of depletes the purpose of tofu-mousse, since chocolate chips make it not-vegan, but its waaay easier than regular mousse, its more satisfying (more to it, fills you up in a way airy cream can't), and its like a bazillion calories less! biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:03 pm
spacekitten

I know this kind of depletes the purpose of tofu-mousse, since chocolate chips make it not-vegan...

Chocolate chips can be vegan. You just need to make sure to check the ingredients. :3  

Kristal Lee

[ Karma M!lkshake ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:36 pm

I always loveeee tofu when I get it from our local Chinese places.
    But I suck so bad at cooking it! Does anybody know how the ******** they make it so irresistibly DELICIOUS? I am seriously craving some! :[[[

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:07 pm
Ah yes my love for tofu has grown over the years lol. I had tofu strognff once (I don't know the ingredents but I'm sure everythings the same except you put tofu) I had this other good tofu. Then I had it in a salad (something else that was really good but I forgot. and my dad can make stirfry with tofu
yum mrgreen  

Nakeria

6,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Pie Feeder 50

Nakeria

6,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 pm
mimmcie
I love Tofu! I put it on homemade pizza with mushrooms, peppers, oinions and several different veggies Yum!

*sniff* lucky, I want tofu pizza. OH OH! There is this awsome place I went to called "Cho chang Tofu Village" the food was the best and it was so cool there. (Though I wish they had better style sweatdrop ) but the food was the best. they had veggie dumplings, egg drop soup (with tofu) all super-super healthy a lot of it was tofu yay!!! mrgreen  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff