Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brother's Grimm
  are fairy tales like no other
  have a digestion problem >_<
  Here, have a cookie!
  I don't want your cookie. I want a bedtime story.
View Results

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:22 pm
mrgreen Do you like fairy tales? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:39 pm
I have a book that has some of the Brothers' Grimm fairy tales in it, and used to use it constantly when I was writing my fairy tale fan fictions. I still go back and read some of my favorite ones, when I have time. I can't remember most of the titles, though, but I do love The Worn-Out Dancing Shoes. And One-Eye, Two-Eyes, Three-Eyes. And some other story that I don't remember the title of, about a girl jumping down a well and doing stuff and then getting rewarded for it, and her sister got tar poured all over for doing the same thing. Fairy tales are just fun, in general.  

NightIntent
Captain

Harbone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:31 pm
Six Go Through the World was always one of my favorites.

But I'm afraid I like revisionist fairy tales, better. For instance, what was going through the mind of the guy who actually made those iron shoes that the evil queen danced the night away in (the ones they heated to red hot before they made her wear them.) I mean, the smith who put them together must have had some idea that they were going to be used to torture somebody. And was the smith there when this old woman, his old regent, who he must have served for a good many years, was made to dance in these excruciating devices until she perished? I mean, how unpopular was she? And what kind of impression did this make on the people at the wedding? Did the people in the kingdom all take this as some sort of warning? Did this cause resentment? See, this is all interesting to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:46 pm
Oh, yes, the revisionist ones are fun.

But, really, you need to get hold of a book that has all of the Grimm fairy tales in them. There are some very strange ones that never get put into cute little illustrated books.

*Though "The Little Matchgirl" (NOT Grimm) does. I've always wondered about that.  

Bookwyrme

Fujin Oni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:52 am
I love Fairy Tales. They were one of the first stories I head. Probably why I ended up loving fantasy novels best. I have my own leather copy of the Brother's Gimm Fairy Tales.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:13 pm
I love fairy tales because they can give you hope, but the older ones can be really dememented ^^

I own the book with all the fairy tales in it, the 3rd edition, and i love the fairy tales ^^  

Shiama

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:05 pm
I haven't read all of them I'll have to admit, but I still like them. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:40 pm
lavenvi05

dont feel bad. i havent finished the mist of avalon, the only one i have read but i really like her writting. i am over halfway through the book though.

i know this might sound bad but i actually got thrlough 91 pages of that book in a day. I can do over double that in any other book but her book has so must detail...it is jsut one of those type of books.  

Shiama

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Shiama
lavenvi05

dont feel bad. i havent finished the mist of avalon, the only one i have read but i really like her writting. i am over halfway through the book though.

i know this might sound bad but i actually got thrlough 91 pages of that book in a day. I can do over double that in any other book but her book has so must detail...it is jsut one of those type of books.
eek How can you guys stand reading just one book? I'm reading like 13 books at once right now. Of course, it's slower, but I don't want it to end so fast.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:46 pm
lavenvi05
Shiama
lavenvi05

eek How can you guys stand reading just one book? I'm reading like 13 books at once right now. Of course, it's slower, but I don't want it to end so fast.

OH! I do that too I was just giving up examples. I must be readng like 7 books right now but i always forget >.<...most people dont see how i can remember all those at once but it is easy.  

Shiama

Harbone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:51 pm
Well, I used to do that, but I'm getting older and I like to concentrate on my materials. In fact, I have to... and my vision's going, too.

Right now, for instance, I'm doing research on archetypal symbolism, which requires digging through some pretty all-over-the-place works (even with the help of an English translation of Hans Biedermann's Dictionary of Symbolism), and I'm trying to get useable stuff from David Hatcher Childress' Lost Cities series of... well, I hesitate to call it non-fiction from the 80s, let's just call it anecdotal prose. I've got a book called "Reading the West" which has a whole bunch of dime novel westerns in it that I need to glean both a common formulae and practical characterizations from, as well as reading a couple of its rather trite tales. I still haven't gotten my copies of Howl's Moving Castle or Castle in the Air from the Library, yet, and I'm trying to finish my eight month backlog of Realms of Fantasy and Steve Jackson's Pyramid magazines. I still have to go back through and dig up some references from Tim Powers' Last Call and Earthquake Weather, as well as Joe R Landsdale's Godzilla's Twelve Step Program. I'll get around to a nice, fun Fantasy book as soon as I can - and as soon as my left eye stops throbbing.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:02 pm
......You know, it's interesting to hear people talk to much, and I wasn't even reading the rest of what you said. You know, once I pick up the book I'm going to read, I end up remembering what the last thing happened.  

lavenvi05

Shiama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:06 pm
lavenvi05
......You know, it's interesting to hear people talk to much, and I wasn't even reading the rest of what you said. You know, once I pick up the book I'm going to read, I end up remembering what the last thing happened.

yea i can do that too. that is how I usually go through books. Especialyl when we have to read school books I read the school book and a diffrent book, because usually school books..are boring >.<

and are you talking about Castle in the Sky, instead of Castle in the Air?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:27 am
anybody seen the terry gilliam movie(just wondering) because that was really funny(and wierd) seeing heath ledger play a dorky spaz is priceless i would reccomend it you guys because it is really good and funny 3nodding  

laaalalalalalalalalas

Harbone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:45 pm
I wasn't very fond of the Gilliam movie. He did it after a really bad run while trying to make a Don Quixote film and I think some of his enthusiasm for the craft has been sapped. It shows in a couple places.
I think the whole thing needed more editing and a lot of the jokes were kinda tired. The characters seemed to be a little dead on the page, too.
The female lead is exactly what I don't like to see when someone is trying to invent a strong female: a woman who isn't strong at all, but has all the trappings of strength. Very irritating.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff