Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Currently questing...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Astrox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:48 pm
A good lentil burger recipe.

Haha.

Anyone got one?

Preferably vegan and gluten-free.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:36 am
I dunno. Never done a lentil burger. I like to make good portabella shroom burgers. They're super easy, and easily the envy of every boring omnivore at the bbq.

Destemmed and cleaned portabella caps
Enough olive oil to completely soak caps
Enough crumbled blue cheese to liberally fill gill sides of caps
Enough marinated red peppers to cover caps

Soak cleaned and stemmed caps in olive oil for an hour. Try not to use extra virgin oil, because it has a lower smoking point. Soak them well, too, because otherwise you might burn them (yuck!).

After soakage but prior to grillage, load a ton of blue cheese (or soy variant of pungent cheese) into the gill side. Put the topside of the cap downside on the grill on high heat and cook 'em for five to seven minutes.

Completely cover the cheesey caps with a layer or two of the marinated red peppers (I like the ones that are marinated with garlic). Bun it up on an onion roll and prepare to chow down!

If you have a deep fryer, then consider eating them along with some yam fries!  

Famicommie
Vice Captain

Ailinea
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:26 pm
Ooh, I have a good one we made a lot during hitches. I'll post it when I get the next free moment. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:45 pm
Alright, let me see if I can remember this. I go this recipe from "The Garden of Vegan" or "How it All Vegan!" or one of those books. If you ever want to look it up, I think it's called Tom's Lentil Burgers or something.

I can't find the exact recipe, so this is going to have to go off memory.

1 cup lentils?
Bread crumbs
Wheat Germ

Cook the lentils until soft. When cooled, combine the lentils, some of the wheat germ, and bread crumbs until you can form a patty that will not crumble. Coat the patty in the extra wheat germ and fry in a skillet with soybean or vegetable oil until brown. Set cooked patty on a paper towel or newspaper to absorb excess oil. The thinner the patty, the more cooked through it will get; I've had many patties be quite thick and warm in the middle, but it doesn't really matter, as the lentils are cooked already anyway. To the bread crumb/lentil/wheat germ mixture, you can all kinds of spices that you want; we liked to add chopped onions, garlic, and added various herbs that were completely random. Toast your bun if you'd like, chop an onion, tomato, or saute up some mushrooms, place on the bun, and you have a nummy and entirely vegan burger. They were so awesome.  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces