Submit

Ever have a problem similar to this?
  Yes.
  No.
  Maybe.
View Results

Gunpowder Valentine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:47 am
Normally I don't just come out and tell people my problems on this username because I'd rather not have people aware what-so-ever in my life, but I'm hoping to become closer to the people in this guild, so here goes.

Anyway, my grandma is like, uber religious. She basically lives for her religion. She has no idea that I'm atheist and is always trying to get me involved with Catholicism, something I obvioulsy have no desire to be a part of. I could simply just tell her that I'm atheist and that I don't want to be involved with her religion, but she'd probably end up disowning me because to her, if you don't believe in God, you're screwed.

So what I'd like to know is what you would do. I don't care about what the right thing to do is. I just want to know what you would do, especially if you love your grandma and would never want her to hate you over something as petty as religion. D:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:25 am
Well to be honest I don't see what the problem with joining in with religious stuff is. Because your an atheist it doesn't mean anything to you so you might aswell do it to make her happy. As for what I'd do. Hmm. Probably just go along with it. I never say something like I won't do something because of my beliefs (or lack of them) I usually just do stuff to make my friends happy.  

Cloud0.0Strife

Gunpowder Valentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:19 am
Cloud0.0Strife
Well to be honest I don't see what the problem with joining in with religious stuff is. Because your an atheist it doesn't mean anything to you so you might aswell do it to make her happy. As for what I'd do. Hmm. Probably just go along with it. I never say something like I won't do something because of my beliefs (or lack of them) I usually just do stuff to make my friends happy.

That's true, but religion makes me uncomfortable, in a way. It's a bit odd because although I don't believe in it, it's almost like I'm adjusting my beliefs temporarily to meet the needs of other people around me. I can totally see what you mean though.

Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:52 am
I would just tell her. However just say "The Bible says that you must treat people the way that you would want to be treated, so you should follow that"  

Heterosexual Fa gg ot
Captain

redtail2
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:40 pm
there's nothing wrong with attending a church function. sometimes they can actually be fun and you might meet someone interesting or someone on the verge of leaving the faith & you could help them along.
just try not to get on anyone's nerves & don't laugh out loud at sermons, you should be fine.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:58 pm
I am the Burger King
Cloud0.0Strife

That's true, but religion makes me uncomfortable, in a way. It's a bit odd because although I don't believe in it, it's almost like I'm adjusting my beliefs temporarily to meet the needs of other people around me. I can totally see what you mean though.

Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it.

Anytime!  

Cloud0.0Strife

Gunpowder Valentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:49 pm
[.Julie Booly.]
I would just tell her. However just say "The Bible says that you must treat people the way that you would want to be treated, so you should follow that"

Very true. :3 Thanks.

redtail2
there's nothing wrong with attending a church function. sometimes they can actually be fun and you might meet someone interesting or someone on the verge of leaving the faith & you could help them along.
just try not to get on anyone's nerves & don't laugh out loud at sermons, you should be fine.

Hah, yeah. I go to church like... once every year with my mom. XD I think that Catholics can sense how religious you are because they're always staring at me. XDD Like, they know I'm atheist or something.

Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:05 am
If she hates you because of your religion or something, she isn't as "HOLY" as she should be.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," is the full term if I'm not mistaken.
wOOt, I said that without killing myself, I don't like saying things from the bible.

Face the logic of THE CHIHUAHUA
I am burger king

Hah, yeah. I go to church like... once every year with my mom. XD I think that Catholics can sense how religious you are because they're always staring at me. XDD Like, they know I'm atheist or something.

Thanks for the advice.

Catholics are honing their psychic abilities. We will crush them with our advanced thought and brainwaves, their brains are using an operating system from 1 A.D called "Bible 1.0"., but our operating system is called "Athiest OS MXV" fully optimized and compatible with USB 2.0. XD
Nothing against catholics, but manual labor and theism is so last 2 millenias.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Gunpowder Valentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:19 pm
FlamingChihuahua
Catholics are honing their psychic abilities. We will crush them with our advanced thought and brainwaves, their brains are using an operating system from 1 A.D called "Bible 1.0"., but our operating system is called "Athiest OS MXV" fully optimized and compatible with USB 2.0. XD

LMAO. I like, just died. I'm totally quoting you in my profile. XD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:06 pm
I am the Burger King
FlamingChihuahua

LMAO. I like, just died. I'm totally quoting you in my profile. XD
I know, that took me a while to write out. Maybe a little editing might work. But for now I'm off to broadcasting my brainwaves via wireless internet. $30 a month is worth seeing Catholicism crumble.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

TheFriar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 am
FlamingChihuahua
If she hates you because of your religion or something, she isn't as "HOLY" as she should be.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," is the full term if I'm not mistaken.
wOOt, I said that without killing myself, I don't like saying things from the bible.

I am burger king

Thanks for the advice.

Pure amesome...but with an error. Through two thousand years of mistranslation and faulty copying, their OS is more like 'Bible v317.937482 Developer's Edition'.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:32 am
TheFriar
FlamingChihuahua

I am burger king

Thanks for the advice.

Pure amesome...but with an error. Through two thousand years of mistranslation and faulty copying, their OS is more like 'Bible v317.937482 Developer's Edition'.
Right, I forgot aboout that, and Atheist MXV OSX Has a profit blocker xd Bible 1.0 used a program called peacemaker but now the newest version of the Bible OS is running a version of peacemaker with a huge security hole which allows viruses into the peacemaker, thus allowing the virus codenamed killtosavefromSatan to it. This is why we have a profit blocker.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Status Quo Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:14 pm
I believe in one less god than you, once you understand why you dismiss all the others, you'll understand why I dismiss yours.

That may or may not help....but I'd do it...actually I'd be much more blunt...but whatever  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:09 pm
I'm almost in the same situation, except my dad is like "pretend to like church to make your Gram happy!"

My response to anyone who's like "change yourself to make me happy"

"I won't hate myself to be loved by you." [Johnny Falls] Hedley.  

Xia Momo Capernicus

Sparkly Pumpkin

CrazyCatExtreme

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm
well even though my grandma is religous she's verry accepting and tolerable (to those she loves, anyone outside the family is fair game lol) she didn't disown my half brother when he came out that he was gay. And although I don't think she knows about my being an atheist, she knows I'm not exactly religous and if it ever came up I'd tell her. BBBuuuutttt If I was in your circumstances, I think I'd go along with it. This is probably a stupid example but my boss(or one of my boses) got me a gift for x-mas, it was a mug and on it it said "The lords prayer..." I thought that this was an extremely, what's the word, ok I can't think of it, but you know not something you give to someone you barely know, especially if you don't know what their religion is. I mean ya I mentioned about celebrating x-mas but still. I just smilled politely and thanked her, and thanked her again as I was leaving. I don't know where the mug is now...  
Advice Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff