Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Dark and Light Sabbats Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aya Azura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 pm
Ok, so I was reading about the Dark and light Sabbats, and i know it doesn't make them evil or anything, because it has something to do with Involution, and Evolution, where evolution is light, and involution is dark, what I want to know is why from Samhain to Ostara is a Dark, or Samhain, because it's when the Oak King dies, so isn't that Evolution, which is light?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:41 pm
Aya Azura
Ok, so I was reading about the Dark and light Sabbats, and i know it doesn't make them evil or anything, because it has something to do with Involution, and Evolution, where evolution is light, and involution is dark, what I want to know is why from Samhain to Ostara is a Dark, or Samhain, because it's when the Oak King dies, so isn't that Evolution, which is light?

Urm... that's not how it works.
Four of them, Bealtaine; Samhain; Lunasadh and Imbolg, are Celtic in source. They are lunar events.

The other four are the solstices and equinoxes. They are solar in nature.

As a result, one could call them dark and light, but it would be a misnomer. It implies a direct relationship where none exists.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:00 pm
Oh, ouch. Somebody is listening to Correllian witchschool.com crap. Honey, that's not how it works. That stuff can be fun, but please, please, please, don't take it seriously.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:45 pm
[Kudzu]
Oh, ouch. Somebody is listening to Correllian witchschool.com crap. Honey, that's not how it works. That stuff can be fun, but please, please, please, don't take it seriously.
That's how it works for the Correllians.

~snickers~ Good gods.... their elemental alignments make me giggle. But that's another story.

--------
Back to the subject at hand, are you attempting to apply this to all pagan "holiday" models? Or just the eight Quarter/Crossquarter map?  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:57 pm
When I think of "Dark and Light sabbats," it makes me think of the dark and light halves of the year. From Litha to Yule would be the dark half because that is when the sum wanes, and Yule to Litha would be the light half because the sun is waxing. That doesn't mean that the sabbats are "Dark or Light."  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:15 pm
Neko_Bast
When I think of "Dark and Light sabbats," it makes me think of the dark and light halves of the year. From Litha to Yule would be the dark half because that is when the sum wanes, and Yule to Litha would be the light half because the sun is waxing. That doesn't mean that the sabbats are "Dark or Light."

I've heard that one before. It makes me wonder though, would not an "Candlemass" to "Lammas" and visa versa make a better Day/Night Dark/Light split because of how subtle the light shift is as you sit between the pole of your hemisphere and the equator?  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:53 am
TeaDidikai
Neko_Bast

I've heard that one before. It makes me wonder though, would not an "Candlemass" to "Lammas" and visa versa make a better Day/Night Dark/Light split because of how subtle the light shift is as you sit between the pole of your hemisphere and the equator?

Well, there are a few ways you can look at dividing the year in terms of light and dark. In the end, though, the wheel of the year is just that... a circle that doesn't have a true begining or end. Different traditions and individuals set up the start of the year at different times.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:04 pm
Starlock
Well, there are a few ways you can look at dividing the year in terms of light and dark. In the end, though, the wheel of the year is just that... a circle that doesn't have a true begining or end. Different traditions and individuals set up the start of the year at different times.
Just because something is a wheel, doesn't mean it doesn't have a beginning and an end.

And saying that people will do what they please with bastardized Norse and Celtic holidays doesn't mean it makes sense.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Just because something is a wheel, doesn't mean it doesn't have a beginning and an end.

And saying that people will do what they please with bastardized Norse and Celtic holidays doesn't mean it makes sense.

I've always wondered Tea......why do you say they are bastardized? I've noticed you say that in multiple threads and was wondering why.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 pm
Neko_Bast
TeaDidikai

I've always wondered Tea......why do you say they are bastardized? I've noticed you say that in multiple threads and was wondering why.

Because they're taken, out of context, from two spiritual world views with extremely little in common.
They are then mangled to fit into a world view that doesn't recognise the Celtic aspect of the Celtic holidays but takes a decontextualised polarised view, stripping away the concept of Good and Evil and replacing it with Fertility.

She's calling them bastardised because (and any Wiccan will admit to this) they're bastardised.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:44 pm
reagun ban
Neko_Bast
TeaDidikai

Because they're taken, out of context, from two spiritual world views with extremely little in common.
They are then mangled to fit into a world view that doesn't recognise the Celtic aspect of the Celtic holidays but takes a decontextualised polarised view, stripping away the concept of Good and Evil and replacing it with Fertility.

She's calling them bastardised because (and any Wiccan will admit to this) they're bastardised.

Is there anywhere I can find out was they are like when they aren't "bastardized?"  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:05 pm
Neko_Bast
Is there anywhere I can find out was they are like when they aren't "bastardized?"

The Celtic ones, any good Recon group will celebrate them.
They get celebrated at Tara a lot, but so do the solstices and equinoxes. We just like celebrating them.
The AsatruaR most likely celebrate the Nordic ones Norse Style.
Probably less sex violence and alcohol involved.
*runduckhidefromdeo*  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:27 pm
reagun ban

*runduckhidefromdeo*
Depends on the group.

Speaking as someone who celebrates with Asatru- Nothing says lovin' like beating the ******** s**t out of your hubby with a hard piece of wood while drinking mead then having him ******** the beating s**t out of you with his own wood.

Ummmm.... was that over the top?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:26 am
TeaDidikai
reagun ban

*runduckhidefromdeo*
Depends on the group.

Speaking as someone who celebrates with Asatru- Nothing says lovin' like beating the ******** s**t out of your hubby with a hard piece of wood while drinking mead then having him ******** the beating s**t out of you with his own wood.

Ummmm.... was that over the top?

Just a little dear.
I'll be scowring my brain for weeks.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:47 am
reagun ban