Watership Down Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Well, I made a thread for David Clement-Davies, and there's a Warriors one, so why not a Watership Down thread?

I like this book more than any other book with animals as characters that I've read. Ever. Don't know why. But I really do like the fact that he mixes in just enough human and animal traits to make al his characters seem believable as rabbits. Even David Clement-Davies doesn't do it so well, and his books come in a close second for this branch of fantasy, in my opinion. Tales of Watership Down was good, but I prefer the original. Although Bluebell's little nonsense story in Tales make me laugh so much. Although the only thing I still remember from it are the green and sky-blue horses, and riding them with the girl from the farm, Lucy.

Anyway. Opinions?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:39 pm

Oh, hey, thanks for making this thread. Sorry to get all down on the Warrior's thread.

Interestingly enough, I once had to read Watership Down and compare it with Lord of the Flies for a sociology course. I like the way that Watership Down actually explores different social structures, which resemble human ones, using rabbits as the main players. Now, I don't actually know much about rabbit behavior, but I can recognize patterns of human behavior from time to time and this book was often spot-on.

You know, it's interesting to note that Adams, like Tolkien, has a rich parallel world developed in this book, even going so far as to invent a rabit language (I still call cars Hrudhudhus sometimes) and even a kind of vernacular ("going tharn," silflay, etc.) Yet he's also carefully interwoven the instinctual and observed behavior of real lapines into this fantasy world of talking bunnies. I think it's a great example of what the imagination can do with a little push from the real world.

Adams has written quite a few books, but I'm afraid Watership Down is the only thing I've read by him. Certainly I didn't get around to reading Tales from Watership Down and I wonder why.

I haven't read Plague Dogs, either.

Harbone

Hiitachin Kaoru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:27 pm

heart Ah Watership Down!! I love that book. Its been a long time since I read it though.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:16 pm

I've only read Watership Down and Tales from Watership Down. By the time I looked at his other books, I wasn't so into reading new books that had animals as characters, even if it was by an author I already knew.

I love the rabbit language! It was so interesting. I can't remember the term for it....

I always half-forget most of the side characters until one of them is mentioned. Acorn, for example. After they leave the evil, man-controlled warren, I entirely forgot about him until Tales or something. A couple of the other original rabbits I always forget about, too. I forget them so thouroughly, in fact that I can't remember their names right now. Let's see.... The original rabbits. Fiver, Hazel, Bigwig, Silver, Dandelion, Blackberry, Acorn, something with the word hawk in it, I think, and that's all I remember. There had to have been more. Oh, well. I like Blackberry and Bigwig best. Two complete opposites, but they're fun. And Dandelion is another favorite. Gotta love the storytellers.

Tales from Watership Down is a good book. Not as good as Watership Down, but you get quite a bit of interesting, random tales from various characters. As I said, Bluebell's nonsense story is really funny. If you get around to it, at least read that chapter. I think it was chapter eleven, but I'm not entirely sure. That may have just been the last number on the page.

NightIntent
Captain

Verene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:58 am

Watership down was my first "big" novel that I ever read on my own, I read it at least once a year every year from when I was 9 up until a year or so ago when my book (which was old to begin with) finally fell apart beyond repair.

I also love Tales From Watershipdown, but the first book will always be one of my most beloved reads, I really need to start coming through used book-stores too find myself a new copy of it.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:05 am

It's a great book! 'Specially someone who loves animals. heart

Lioness4

Distinct Raider

10,650 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:03 pm

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the cartoon version of it, and it was disgusting. xp
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:08 pm

lavenvi05
I haven't read the book, but I've seen the cartoon version of it, and it was disgusting. xp

The animated movie was awful. I saw it and I was pissed off for a week. I was so thankful that I'd only rented it from the library. I would never pay to see that movie.

NightIntent
Captain

Hiitachin Kaoru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:11 pm

Verene
Watership down was my first "big" novel that I ever read on my own, I read it at least once a year every year from when I was 9 up until a year or so ago when my book (which was old to begin with) finally fell apart beyond repair.

lol. Watership Down was my favorite book for the longest time. I just kept rereading it. It's now more tape than book I think. I would never throw it away though, it would make me sad.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 am

loved the book heart i think it's really enchanting but i haven't read Tales or seen the movie(which by the sounds of it is a good thing) mrgreen

Shanti~dragongirl

Verene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:09 am

lavenvi05

The cartoon version movie of it is HORRIBLE! I was excited when I heard ther was a movie of it, then I started the movie, and I honestly couldn't finish it. The book is SO much better, they can't even be compared.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:35 pm

Verene
lavenvi05

The cartoon version movie of it is HORRIBLE! I was excited when I heard ther was a movie of it, then I started the movie, and I honestly couldn't finish it. The book is SO much better, they can't even be compared.

I actually finished the movie. I just wanted to see what other characters they left out. I can't believe they skipped over Strawberry! I love Strawberry! If I remember rightly, didn't they not have Holly or Bluebell either? And Hyzenthlay went on the run with the dog, too. Ugh. No does went on the run. What I really hated was the addition of the doe in the beginning, who got taken by the hawk. For one thing, they didn't lose a single member of the original party. For another, no does at all left with them. Why did they add a non-existent character?! Grr! <.< I'll stop now.

NightIntent
Captain

Kittenfleas

Ruthless Fatcat

9,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:30 pm

I love watership down! Ive read it i think 5x? Its such an amazing book!

The movie was a poor make of it.They left out many characters,important ones too.The book is 100x better
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:41 pm

Oh my god. Not only was there a movie, but there's apparently a TV series for the book. Also animated. That's just scary.

...To find it to watch it, or not? Probably not.

NightIntent
Captain

Kittenfleas

Ruthless Fatcat

9,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 am

A T.V series!? Thats just insane! I dont know about you,but i couldnt watch it.
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff