Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
mayan calendar Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is the world going to end?
  yes
  no
  I dont know.
  I dont care.
View Results

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:46 am
I might regret doing this because its probably just opening up a huge can of worms. I have recently been hearing about the mayan calendar and how it ends in 2012 i would like to get your views on this. Is the world going to end? Or are things just going to change extreamly and everyones eyes are going ot be open to the real world? or is it just a bunch of fooy? I'm not really all that educated on this matter but it has really just been itching at me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:59 am
mouseyanna
I have recently been hearing about the mayan calendar and how it ends in 2012

The mayan calendar ends in the year 2012 in exactly the same way our calendar "ended" in 999 (by becoming 1000)
That's all it was, the end of a very large cycle and the begginning of the next. [Cite]  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:05 am
oh thank you for that link it was very insiteful!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:41 am
mouseyanna
oh thank you for that link it was very insiteful!

Wikipedia's not good for a polemic argument, but it's good in a pinch.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:14 pm
The Mayans use a 13 moon calender, and kins and who knows what.

If you want to learn more about that, you might find the following links interesting.

1. The 13 Moon page.

2. Tortuga (no, not the pirate isle. xd )

That last site also has a 'find your own kin/moon/.. uh.. and.. the other thing.. calculator on site, which can be accessed here

If you click on the 'extended date decoder', they also explain what everything means and how it works.

Oh, right. I think this might be a reinterpretation, actually. There was some stuff about 'old' and 'new' kintypes, but it's been a while since I read it.

You can even download your own 13 moon calenders on the Dream of Peace Network page.

One of these pages claims the Calendar doesn't mean the end of the world, just the beginning of a new era, as the calender will be flipped and they'll just start counting at the beginning again. Big on cyclical things, the Mayans were. (Or at least, according to the pages I've been reading 3nodding )

There's also a petition to convert to 13 moon calenders in real life. Apparently, the church/Vatican wasn't fond of it, and because of that, it didn't go through. If I find this particular bit somewhere again, I'll paste the link in here, should anyone, that is, be interested.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:24 pm
Somehow, this is amusing:
Quote:
Planetary Moon day 12
Year of the White Self-Existing Wizard
kin 137: Red Resonant Earth
I Channel in order to Evolve
Inspiring Synchronicity
I seal the Matrix of Navigation
With the Resonant tone of Attunement
I am guided by the power of Universal Water

maenad nuri
Captain

Demonizing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:09 pm
i think this world will end in the year 10000  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:01 pm
I think the world will end as soon as "Glitter 2" is released. xd

Serriously though, I've always wondered if the answers to some of those questions was realy really simple.

"The world will end in the year 2012! That is when the Mayan calander ends!"

"Did you ever think that maybe the Calander carving guy figured he had worked ahead far enough by that point? I mean...if I had many hundreds of years of work completed ahead of scedule...you know...maybe I'd take a brake too"  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

xxantuxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:43 pm
I agree with the second post, I asked about this at a mayan temple thing, and basically, it doesnt end, just the 52 or w/e year period ends... But many think its still the end, but the calandar just happens to stop there because no one keeps it up. But I have a friend who's mother really believe's the world's going to end around then, broken up by natural disasters and junk..  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:13 pm
Yeah... Reset =/= End  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:37 pm
I don't think end is the appropriate term...
As an infinitist, I recognize no beginning and no end, only change.
Now, the world may cease to be as we recognize it... but could not the same be said of the world from just 2 millenia ago?
Massive amounts of geographical change have taken place, forrests clear-cut, swamps drained, great metal birds ply the skies, and roads to be the envy of Rome crisscross many areas where no human dwelled.
I don't even want to get into the religious and linquistic changes. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:54 pm
I thought the maian calender ended in 2014 confused  

MOD66

Adiriel

Liberal Voter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:15 pm
The world is a hyperbola. Round, and doomed to crumble. Lolza, but never cease to be.

whee  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:06 am
Yes, of course the world will end. Everything ends eventually. But it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Say in several million years? As another poster said, the Mayan calendrical cycle starts over in 2012, like our calendar started over in 1000 and 2000. People thought that Armaggedon was coming each time our calendar cycles ended, but nothing ever happened. It's just a way to track time, nothing more.  

Wood Sorrel

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces