Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply General Harry Potter Discussions
Eww! Canon! Tonks/Remus? Don't make me gag! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favorite canon pairing?
  Harry/Ginny.
  Ron/Hermione.
  Draco/Pansy.
  Remus/Tonks.
  Lily/James.
  Other!
View Results

En Vogue

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:53 pm
Now, before I gather up a mob to burn Tonks and Ginny and Fleur at the stake, read very carefully:

The title was sarcasm.

But I bet a bunch of you wish it wasn't. I've noticed that in the slash fandom, especially Harry Potter, people are very particular about their pairings. That's fine. I can be, too. For all I care, completely disregard canon and put the least likely people together. It's fun. But that's not the problem. People don't just 'disregard' canon. They attack it.

Particularly the women in it. I've seen so many haters of the female characters. Only the ones that are canonically paired off with a male, though. Luna? She's fun, quirky, and cute! Ginny? That ditzy whore!

More proof? Most people like Hermione. Most people don't slash Ron. Thus, Ron/Hermione is a good alternative for a lot of people. However, if Ron/Draco was a more popular pairing, I can guarantee there would be a lot more posts saying "why does that god damn chipmunk get in their way all the time?!".

Discuss:
*Female characters you love and hate, and why.
*Do you think people's (least) favorite characters are based on what fits or gets in the way of their pairing?
*Do you solely slash, or do you sometimes like some het, too?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:33 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

La Femme Rigolotte

5,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100

En Vogue

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:03 pm
As for Ginny being a slut... Yeah, she is. She gets around. I don't think she's a horrible character, though. I don't think Harry and she are a good match, but I don't think he's any better than her, either. She does have a meritable personality (at least, come OotP). She's a shy girl who finally bloomed into her outgoingness. I think she'll calm down a little once she realizes that she's not going to become a wallflower again all of a sudden.

Tonks? I thought she was cute as a button for a while. Compared to Remus, who bores me. I didn't like her in HBP. Revealed her in a new light, I suppose. So, I guess in essence I do dislike her because of the Tonks/Remus pairing, but not because I think Remus should be with someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:54 pm
i dont think i ever took a liking to tonks. even before i started thinking aobut pairings. she was just sort of dull to me for some reason, sort of hanging in there like a newbie or something. maybe its just the lack of extensive background, but i didnt like her. which fuels most of my distaste when i see her paired with remus. its annoying. like she needs him much more than he needs her and she's just another expectation that remus is expected to live up to. it just seems... wrong. especially right after sirius died.

as for ginny, i dont mind her too much, but for harry? he s way too distracted by what he has to do and what voldemort is doing. their relationship came at an inopportune moment, and it didnt last for long. somehow i dont thikn of ginny as the type to wait at home for her prince charming to come back.

and luna. luna is a wonderful character, but she is that sort of wonderful that is impossible to slash. unless JKR introduces someone who is on her strangeness level, or can appreciate her for it, she will probably stay single.

hakyou

La Femme Rigolotte

5,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:27 pm
En Vogue
As for Ginny being a slut... Yeah, she is. She gets around. I don't think she's a horrible character, though. I don't think Harry and she are a good match, but I don't think he's any better than her, either. She does have a meritable personality (at least, come OotP). She's a shy girl who finally bloomed into her outgoingness. I think she'll calm down a little once she realizes that she's not going to become a wallflower again all of a sudden.

Tonks? I thought she was cute as a button for a while. Compared to Remus, who bores me. I didn't like her in HBP. Revealed her in a new light, I suppose. So, I guess in essence I do dislike her because of the Tonks/Remus pairing, but not because I think Remus should be with someone else.

I don't think that Ginny's that bad either. I'm just a firm believer that Harry, and even Ginny, can do better. I guess their whole getting together thing was too abrupt. I mean, Dumbledore had just died... I was sobbing... and I wasn't ready for any "let's be boyfriend and girlfriend, Harry!" I was too emotional about the book in general. Maybe that's what offended me most.

Tonks, though, has always been a minor annoyance to me. She was likable enough... but she tried too hard, in my opinion. I mean, even her morphing skills seemed to be used more as a source of amusement than as an actual necessity; I say this because the books did not follow her Order duties, rather, they depicted Tonks in stage-performer's light. Do you get what I mean?

Like, as an example, Sirius was a tad goofy, right? But he was confident... so I, at least, cold more easily picture him as a serious member of the Order. While Tonks, on the other hand, was less easy to imagine. She seemed more equipped to make Hermione and Ginny laugh... I forget what I was trying to illustrate. If that made sense to you, you're genius.

And lastly, how does Remus bore you?

<3
Maddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:19 pm
*Female characters you love and hate, and why.*

Luna is by far my favorite female character. Luna is fun, she has personality.
Tonks, Ginny, and Cho just seem very... bland to me. They're just not interesting... they never do or say anything interesting.
As for the other female characters...
Narcissa has hardly even had any dialogue.
Bellatrix seems kind of fun and badass but her personality hasn't really been fleshed out that much. Besides, I can't really like her because of what she did to Sirius.
Let's see, what other female characters are there?
Lily Evans seems cool but we barely know anything about her.
Trelawny is annoying.
Fleur is just stuck up. Although I did like that she stood with Bill, that gave her lots of points in my book.
Pansy hasn't been given enough dialogue for me to judge.
Umbridge and Rita Skeeter are just awful, awful, awful with no redeaming value.
Don't even get me started on Hermione. She pisses me off. She's just such a know it all... I know some people find her charming but she hasn't won me over.
Myrtle is actually pretty cool. She's sassy. She flirts with Draco and spies on Cedric and Harry in the bath. Haha I like her.
Prof. McGonagall is pretty cool too. She is badass, she can stand up for herself. I like the way she handled Umbridge.

Ok, so it's Luna, Myrtle, and Minerva for the win.

*Do you think people's (least) favorite characters are based on what fits or gets in the way of their pairing?*

Perhaps. It's really not the case for me. I love Sirius/Remus. But I would like Tonks if she had a personality. The only interesting thing about her right now is her hair. And besides, I did not see any Remus/Tonks chemistry, ever. Same thing with Ginny and Cho. I would like them if they were worth liking. I don't even like Harry slash very much, so whatever.

*Do you solely slash, or do you sometimes like some het, too?*

Mostly slash. But I could deal with het. Maybe if it involved Snape. Hehe. I usually love Yuri and the like but the lack of female characters makes HP femslash difficult. xp  

vivaluna

Eloquent Conventioneer

8,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ManyDooDoos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:52 pm
Female characters you love and hate, and why.
smile Haha. Molly Weasley. She's all over the place, that mess. God. She's so... Just god. She's a typical, stereotyped housewife from the 50s. I hate it.
But!
I don't hate her a lot. I don't actually dislike characters usually, but I do dislike some personality types; like Hermione and Molly.

Do you think people's (least) favorite characters are based on what fits or gets in the way of their pairing?
Sometimes, but I don't think that's the case for me. I hate the undeveloped/unrealistic/stupid/annoying characters. XD

Do you solely slash, or do you sometimes like some het, too?
Slash only. I get enough het in real life. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:20 am
In all honesty, almost...*thinks* Yes, almost all of the female characters in the Harry Potter books are pretty low on the list as far as favorite characters go. I mean, hell, Post-Hogwarts Peter beats some of them.

I just find that Jo did not do a good job with her main females, which is slightly offensive considering she is female. She gave us Molly, this stereotypical house wife from the 50s with absolutely no original quirks. Hermione is this overbearing overemotional bossy smart a**. Ginny...Ginny screams Mary-Sue to me. She was in the background, childhood crush on Harry, dated dated dated...."Oh Harry! I never stopped loving you! Look! I can play sports! And curse people! Aren't we a match made in heaven?" Tonks, Tonks is another Mary-Sue, her metamorphagi powers do help add to this, but isn't the sole reason. She's rather flaky as a character and then tosses herself upon Remus right after Dumbledore died--which illustrates what a stupid bat she is. Minerva does have original quirks, but at times when I think that she's kind of pushing this idea that in order to be successful you have to be very strict and stern and not know how to let your hair down.

Luna, I love Luna to pieces because she is herself, she is who she wants to be. But she's so far out there that it makes it seem like Jo is saying "Be yourself! But suffer the consequences of being a complete freak with radishes on your ears!!!! You make the choice, socially accepted, or radishes!"

I actually find the females on the Death Eater side to be much more...normal, real and interesting to me.

Narcissa is a first rate snob whose husband dabbles in the Dark Arts. She joins him with his dabbling because it gets them money, and it's how she was raised (being part of the Black family). The thing about Narcissa is, she's a mother first, and even she can't deny that as seen in the HBP. I think that was one of my most favorite scenes with Severus or her ever. She was willing to curse her own sister, to betray the Dark Lord's order, and force a man to sacrifice his life just for the safety of her son. It also shows how deeply shaken she had become not only from Draco following his father's footsteps, but Lucius being in Azkaban. You don't expect that from mass murderers. You don't expect them to care or be affected by things like that.

On the flip side you have Bellatrix. Oh I love Bella's character. If it weren't for my ardent love for Sirius, Bella would be my favorite character. As it is though, she'll have to remain down a few notches and settle for my second favorite female character, right after Luna. Bella is mad. And from what you can gather, she was mad before Azkaban got her. She's so weird and evil and it's wonderful and it's perfect because you know from Sirius what she's grown up with and you can just see the madness Sirius' mother that was suggested went to Bella and multiplied. Yet at the same time she has this huge disadvantage, a weakness. Her absolute loyalty, bordering on obsession for the Dark Lord. I would not be surprised if in the 7th book during a battle she claims that she is immune to punishment, and perhaps even death because her beloved Dark Lord would never let her die. He loves her. Obviously false, but she's so insane and so obsessed with him, I would not put it past her. I also wouldn't put suicide past her when Voldemort dies, assuming she's not already dead.

That complete madness yet mystery just drags me in, and I want to know why. I want to know what made her like that, which was one of the things that I first loved about Sirius. The Black Family is such an interesting topic, and looking at the last remaining members just makes me twitch and wonder "What the hell happened in that house?"

Unfortunately, there are a lot of rabid fangirls out there who make their Mary-Sues and stomp their feet and scream "NO! I'M WITH HARRY!" So many people are stupid enough to let that obsession get in their ways of appreciating the characters. Even though I do not approve of most of the females, the only ones I dislike because of the pairings they form is Ginny and Tonks. This is because I feel they are both Mary-Sues and I don't like the way they got with their partners.

Chest Monsters for your best friend's sister who just miracolously grew a personality? Love confessions right after the man who basically gave your target his life dies? Um...hello!

Ginny/Harry I was willing to over look after a while because it was doomed to end (which it did in a Spiderman-esque way) but Tonks/Remus pisses me off so much, and not just because I'm an active Remus/Sirius shipper. I can work Remus/Tonks into my ship quite easily, I've always been a "Remus is bisexual" supporter, so it doesn't matter. But the thing is, I don't like Tonks and I don't like the way she approached Remus and I despise the idea that she was a depressed whiney little brat the entire 6th book until BAM! "Hey everybody! Dumbledore is dead and Remus is holding my hand! Look at my pink hair and my huge smile!" Any other girl, any other girl, I wouldn't have cared, but it had to be Tonks.

I don't mind het. I really don't. But the thing is, with Harry Potter I despise the girls so much that unless it Luna/Harry Ron/Hermione or one of the canon adult pairings (you know, Molly/Arthur, Narcissa/Lucius, Hagrid/Olympe etc. Bill/Fleur actually I don't mind at all I find Fleur hilarious, not the best female, but she's allowed, she's a Veela) Excepting, of course Remus/Tonks. Other than that, there really aren't het pairings to speak of. There aren't enough suitable females.

Jo just kind of brought the slash world on her self by having so many strong male characters.

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200

En Vogue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:39 pm
That's something I was thinking about after I wrote up the post. I've always thought Jo was a decent writer, and she's great with character dynamics. However, she's a lot better with the characterization of males. Now, I can understand that there aren't that many female characters. Most people tend to have more acquantances of the same gender, and since the story is told through Harry's eyes, it makes sense.

Still. The female characters that should be important to Harry's life don't get center stage often. Harry's always focused on his father instead of his mother, when SHE was the one who had protected him. Yes, yes, I know James and Lily both played their parts, but even Dumbledore says it's Harry's mother's love.

Also, Hermione is Harry's best friend, along with Ron. Doesn't he ever notice any good traits? She's constantly described as bossy and overdramatic. Bad overweighs good a lot in the books, and this is coming from one of her CLOSEST FRIENDS.

Let's see... Oh, Ginny. Yeah, sudden personality. I love the new personality, the spunk, but where'd it all come from?

Gee, now I sound like I'm against all these characters. >.< I actually like all that I mentioned here, but I'm not always sure if Jo does. :/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm
En Vogue

Gee, now I sound like I'm against all these characters. >.< I actually like all that I mentioned here, but I'm not always sure if Jo does. :/

I know that Jo loooves Hermione. For some reason. xp  

vivaluna

Eloquent Conventioneer

8,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

La Femme Rigolotte

5,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:53 pm
Sirius Black-Lupin [HK]
In all honesty, almost...*thinks* Yes, almost all of the female characters in the Harry Potter books are pretty low on the list as far as favorite characters go. I mean, hell, Post-Hogwarts Peter beats some of them.

I just find that Jo did not do a good job with her main females, which is slightly offensive considering she is female. She gave us Molly, this stereotypical house wife from the 50s with absolutely no original quirks. Hermione is this overbearing overemotional bossy smart a**. Ginny...Ginny screams Mary-Sue to me. She was in the background, childhood crush on Harry, dated dated dated...."Oh Harry! I never stopped loving you! Look! I can play sports! And curse people! Aren't we a match made in heaven?" Tonks, Tonks is another Mary-Sue, her metamorphagi powers do help add to this, but isn't the sole reason. She's rather flaky as a character and then tosses herself upon Remus right after Dumbledore died--which illustrates what a stupid bat she is. Minerva does have original quirks, but at times when I think that she's kind of pushing this idea that in order to be successful you have to be very strict and stern and not know how to let your hair down.

Luna, I love Luna to pieces because she is herself, she is who she wants to be. But she's so far out there that it makes it seem like Jo is saying "Be yourself! But suffer the consequences of being a complete freak with radishes on your ears!!!! You make the choice, socially accepted, or radishes!"

I actually find the females on the Death Eater side to be much more...normal, real and interesting to me.

Narcissa is a first rate snob whose husband dabbles in the Dark Arts. She joins him with his dabbling because it gets them money, and it's how she was raised (being part of the Black family). The thing about Narcissa is, she's a mother first, and even she can't deny that as seen in the HBP. I think that was one of my most favorite scenes with Severus or her ever. She was willing to curse her own sister, to betray the Dark Lord's order, and force a man to sacrifice his life just for the safety of her son. It also shows how deeply shaken she had become not only from Draco following his father's footsteps, but Lucius being in Azkaban. You don't expect that from mass murderers. You don't expect them to care or be affected by things like that.

On the flip side you have Bellatrix. Oh I love Bella's character. If it weren't for my ardent love for Sirius, Bella would be my favorite character. As it is though, she'll have to remain down a few notches and settle for my second favorite female character, right after Luna. Bella is mad. And from what you can gather, she was mad before Azkaban got her. She's so weird and evil and it's wonderful and it's perfect because you know from Sirius what she's grown up with and you can just see the madness Sirius' mother that was suggested went to Bella and multiplied. Yet at the same time she has this huge disadvantage, a weakness. Her absolute loyalty, bordering on obsession for the Dark Lord. I would not be surprised if in the 7th book during a battle she claims that she is immune to punishment, and perhaps even death because her beloved Dark Lord would never let her die. He loves her. Obviously false, but she's so insane and so obsessed with him, I would not put it past her. I also wouldn't put suicide past her when Voldemort dies, assuming she's not already dead.

That complete madness yet mystery just drags me in, and I want to know why. I want to know what made her like that, which was one of the things that I first loved about Sirius. The Black Family is such an interesting topic, and looking at the last remaining members just makes me twitch and wonder "What the hell happened in that house?"

Unfortunately, there are a lot of rabid fangirls out there who make their Mary-Sues and stomp their feet and scream "NO! I'M WITH HARRY!" So many people are stupid enough to let that obsession get in their ways of appreciating the characters. Even though I do not approve of most of the females, the only ones I dislike because of the pairings they form is Ginny and Tonks. This is because I feel they are both Mary-Sues and I don't like the way they got with their partners.

Chest Monsters for your best friend's sister who just miracolously grew a personality? Love confessions right after the man who basically gave your target his life dies? Um...hello!

Ginny/Harry I was willing to over look after a while because it was doomed to end (which it did in a Spiderman-esque way) but Tonks/Remus pisses me off so much, and not just because I'm an active Remus/Sirius shipper. I can work Remus/Tonks into my ship quite easily, I've always been a "Remus is bisexual" supporter, so it doesn't matter. But the thing is, I don't like Tonks and I don't like the way she approached Remus and I despise the idea that she was a depressed whiney little brat the entire 6th book until BAM! "Hey everybody! Dumbledore is dead and Remus is holding my hand! Look at my pink hair and my huge smile!" Any other girl, any other girl, I wouldn't have cared, but it had to be Tonks.

I don't mind het. I really don't. But the thing is, with Harry Potter I despise the girls so much that unless it Luna/Harry Ron/Hermione or one of the canon adult pairings (you know, Molly/Arthur, Narcissa/Lucius, Hagrid/Olympe etc. Bill/Fleur actually I don't mind at all I find Fleur hilarious, not the best female, but she's allowed, she's a Veela) Excepting, of course Remus/Tonks. Other than that, there really aren't het pairings to speak of. There aren't enough suitable females.

Jo just kind of brought the slash world on her self by having so many strong male characters.

Alright, can I just say that I love all the points that you make? ^^

Anyway, I had completely forgotten about the females on the Death Eater side and you're right, they are more "normal, real and interesting." And I, too, really enjoyed the scene in HBP where Narcissa was depicted as the mother she is. It touched me... and made me like Narcissa a little bit more. Bella, though, I hate as much as I love Sirius. I agree with you in that she is an interesting character, but I despise her... always have; still, though, like you said "that complete madness yet mystery just drags me in."

Finally, I really want Jo to focus on the Black family. Since meeting Sirius, I have been curious about his background; What started the Black family madness? What made his mum the supreme, authoritarian meany (to keep my language on a G-rated level) she is? And what about his father? I'm obsessed with this family and I want some closure to the questions around it; my imagination can go only so far...

<3
Maddy

PS- I too think that JK was just asking for slashyness...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:42 am
Female characters you love and hate, and why.
Well, I'd have to say I don't HATE any female characters, except Cho. Growl! She's jsut such a whiney b***h. >_>

Do you think people's (least) favorite characters are based on what fits or gets in the way of their pairing?
To some extent, but for me it's because I genuinely just don't like it. For example: Tonks/Remus just doesn't compute because "WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?!" And of the fanon pairings, Draco/Hermione and Harry/Hermione just... doesn't... make any sort of sense.
I don't like pairings because they simply don't make sense, and I like pairings that DO. I like Draco/Harry, but I like the Harry/Ginny canon pairing sometimes, too.

Do you solely slash, or do you sometimes like some het, too?
Well, it all depends. If it's one of the above mentioned het fanon (or Tonks/Remus) pairings, than no. But normally yeah. I'm actually a bit of a sucker for Snape/Ginny... >_> *Cackles* But I like slash best. *Grins*  

Grainne Mhaol

Fallen2angel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:36 pm
Eh..Ginny..is..just..Ewwie. Ewwie. Slutty. Herm..NEEDS KRIN! Fleur and Bill is cool...I guess. Tonks and Remus? Cute but..nono..Harry and girls? No! He needs Draco! Basically, One of the only straight couples I really loves is Lucius and Narcissa..Mhmm.

They're both just..so..evil! heart

Pansy and Draco ~Can~ be okay..sometimes.
Yeah, they're okay.

Cho..is..whiny! She needs to get with Ginny XD.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:10 pm
*Female characters you love and hate, and why.
Narcissa- I love her...I didn't have an opinion of her until the 6th book, then I realized that she seems like a wonderful mother! I dunno...just love her to death.

Molly Weasly-I don't have anything against her. She's cool.

Myrtle- Haha, I love her...she's awesome!!

McGonagall-Like her, got nothin' against her.

Cho-I HATE HER!!!!

Ginny-
Eh...she's alright.

Fleur-She may be stuck up...but she also didnt' leave Bill.

Luna-
Haha..she's funny...I like her.

Bellatrix-
I don't have anything against her.

Tonks-
As long as she stays away from Remus it's all good, heh.

Hermione-
Yes..I do like her!

Rita-BURN!!!!! I hate her!!!

Umbridge-
She can burn along with Rita...-.-

*Do you think people's (least) favorite characters are based on what fits or gets in the way of their pairing?
It's possible.

*Do you solely slash, or do you sometimes like some het, too?
Eh..I'm a slah junky. The only het I will read is LuciusXNarcissa  

SerratedSprinkles

5,900 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

comfylove

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:41 am
Some girls in the books annoy me.. I'm not going to lie. But girls in general annoy me. I don't think that any of the characters are sluts or anything like that, it's jsut for stupid reasons, really. With Ginny, I like her when she is at the Burrow, but when she gets to Hogwarts I really do not like her.. but because I think she totally changes and not in a good way when she goes to school. I don't like that Brown girl because of he relationship with Ron, even though it was extremely funny in the books. I don't like the twin girls because they were horrid at the Yule Ball. Hermione can get on my nerves sometimes, but I don't mind her most of the time and actually like her. I used to love Tonks, but I did not like her in the sixth book. All of the other girls I don't mind too much.

Most people I know that read Harry Potter, or at least in real life away from the internet do not read fanfics and do not ship any pairings that are different from the books. Personally, I do not dislike a character because they get in the way of the pairings I like, because I like the totally ridiculous ones that will honestly never happen in the books, but I guess that if I did it would be Tonks because she totally sunk my ship. D:

I usually mainly slash, it's my favorite. I really enjoy it, but I will also read/write het. I've read plenty of fanfics that the pairing was Harry/Luna, she's the only girl that I like him with. I like Hermione/Ron, but I also don't mind if Ron is slashed, but him being slashed I have to be completely in the mood for it.

General Harry Potter Discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff