Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[Menkui!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:41 pm
Well, ladies and gentlemen, out of a spur-of-the-moment spending spree (AKA Loveless volume two STILL isn't out yet somebodypleasemakeitjunethirteenthalready) I had fully anticipated buying the first volume of FAKE. Still, FAKE is... how shall I say... steamier in the seventh volume, from what I know. And being fourteen tender (HA!) years old, I decided against getting it.

And theeeeeeen I saw the little Blu manga logo on the bottom of a manga.

What's this? I thought quietly to myself.

I quite literally picked it up, read the first five pages, (my policy when buying manga; I can usually tell if it's crap or not by then) and bought it then and there. 3nodding

Menkui's basic synopsis is about a normal boy named Kotori (Little bird! I love that name!) who is pretty much overshadowed by his older brother (Kujaku, which quite befittingly means peacock) and his charm, charismatic attitude, and good looks. Like all pretty boys in such a category, Kujaku has more fans than he knows what to do with. But growing up around such superficial whatnot, it's no suprise Kotori grew up to be rather superficial himself. (Menkui literally means "superficial" or a sucker for a pretty face.) Still, he's not superficial in the sense that he only likes things that are pretty. He's just easily swept away by them. In spite of which, I found Kotori to be quite likeable.

Moving on, Kotori finds a boy, Akaiwa, standing outside of his house. He assumes he caught a glimpse of "Kuu-chan", his brother, and probably couldn't get him out of his mind. But, as these things go, you can't assume. It just makes an "a**" out of "u" and "me".

I don't wanna give too much away so there's the basic plot!

So. On a scale of one to ten, I would definitely give Menkui! a solid 8 out of ten. The art is a style that I definitely like, crisp without using only tones and such without drawing a background once in a while. The characters are completely LOVEABLE, though occasionally Kotori is a tad bit TOO feminine for my liking. He cries a bit more than would be realistic, though not enough to make you hate him. He's actually my favorite character. Akaiwa is no slouch himself, though his hair (maybe I'm a bit superficial myself!) took a moment to get used to. Menkui! isn't high on "action", and when I say that I mean the winkwinkyouknowwhatI'msayin' action.

Still, it's a very sweet manga, and a series which I plan to follow. The only downside, I believe, is why it's not a nine out of ten instead of an eight: the short stories at the end just didn't capture me like the others. Granted, the limited space must be difficult to focus a story around, but most of the characters in the end short stories kind of annoyed me. Plus it deals with "brotherly" as in by-blood relationships, which are not my cup of tea. No judgement on anybody who does like it. Just not for me. ^_^ But I absolutely loved Menkui!, though I'll probably get told how much it sucks in this forum. I imagine the later volumes may have more depth to them, and from what I understand a bit of a supernatural twist, which is always rather interesting.

So! Now that I have carpal tunnel, tell me: What did you think of Menkui! ? Have you read it? Discuuuuus!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Wow that was a great review! I really liked how you discussed the book! It sounds very good in fact! I think if i can find it i will get it, i will enjoy it very much! or so i hope i will! I guess i should be thanking you then for your awesome review on it!Thanks!  

Hitomi~~Kanzaki

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:46 am
Yaaaay, somebody replied to this forum! =D I think that Menkui! is an awesome manga, I hope that you enjoy it!  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:34 am
Awesome manga. <3 I have read it... long ago.  

tervasulka

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:52 pm
It just came out in english last month; did you read the scanlations? (I'm pretty much scanlation-stupid, I have no idea where to get them!)  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:50 am
Oh really? n_n' I read the scanlations. No wonder I haven't been able to find more of it..  

tervasulka

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150

Iciak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:15 pm
Ah, Menkui is one of the comics I always recommend whenever someone asks me about some good BL. I love Chikage. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:02 pm
Iciak
Ah, Menkui is one of the comics I always recommend whenever someone asks me about some good BL. I love Chikage. biggrin
I love how he's not the typical demure, feminine boy even though he's so pretty. He's feisty but not in a token tried-too-hard way. XD Tell me, are there more than two volumes to Menkui?  

Kitsune-chi

Iciak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:46 am
I've got 3 books and I think that's all there is, but I may be wrong. xD;  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:03 am
Iciak
I've got 3 books and I think that's all there is, but I may be wrong. xD;
Oh, good. I thought there was only two. ^___^ Yay.  

Kitsune-chi

tervasulka

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:27 am
There's at least three.  
[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games