Kirk
  Picard
  Cisco
  Janeway
  Sulu (let's get daring)
View Results

Wind-Whisper

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 pm
This is a tough choice because they are all good captains. I voted for Archer, though, because all of them he was the only true explorer. He genuinely was going where no man (...or Vulcan or dog or Denobulan...) had ever gone before and had to face the most uncertain odds because he had so much less to draw on that later captains. He didn't have the Federation behind him, he wasn't sure who his allies were, and he set the standard upon which all other starship captains had to draw on. He was also the link to us and the to the future.

Think about it this way:
Kirk spent much of his time trouble-shooting acrossquadrants that had been previously mapped and explored. He was very creative in solving problems, but unlike some of the other captains, he was a militaryman first. But he was a hero who refused to lose. He ranks second on my list.

Cisco was also very good, because he was skilled at handling other people, a good father, and willing to see things from the viewpoints of other cultures--a necessary tact on a starship. But at the same time, Picard was an excellent diplomat and became a warrior onlywhen he had to. He was also a good captain.

Janeway I am less certain about because I didn't see enough of Voyager to fairly assess her.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:56 pm
i have to say Janeway because voyager was the series that first made me love Star Trek.  

The_Golden_Dragon22

8,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:35 am
I loved Kirk pretty much for the same reasons as you, and I loved his character.
He was wild, rebellious, intelligent, passionate, and a real ladies man wink  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:46 am
I say Kirk, because I've only seen TOS. Well, I take that back; I've seen one episode of TNG, three of Enterprise, and three of Voyager. Not really enough to assess their captaincies.

Plus, Chris Pine as Kirk is hot. That's gotta count for something.... xDD  

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Aria Hikari

7,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 pm
I voted Pike because he`s a hell of a Captain in the new Trek movie...although I also like Kirk.

^^  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:44 pm
Aria Hikari
I voted Pike because he`s a hell of a Captain in the new Trek movie...although I also like Kirk.

^^

Too true. Too true. He kicked butt. I mean, who else would be able to shoot a Romulan on the first shot after being tortured and forced to eat a space bug?

"Punch it."

*Dies of worship*  

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:17 pm
Picard was a real rennesaince man. Kirk had no interests in anything but being Captain. Fact is, he was bad at that. He threatened the destruction of an entire planet, placing the life of his crew above the citizens. He killed the last of an alien race as part of a grudge match. He's not just a bad captain, but a horrible human being.

Picard was smarter, more varied interests, and actually had a moral code. he comes off as a stickler for the rules, but he actually shows he's more intelligent by going around the edges, so to speak. Sort of like how Hawkeye and BJ had to be slick with Colonel Potter while they walked all over Colonel Blake. It's so much more satisfying to see them have to be a bit sneakier.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:27 pm
I'd say Janeway, because she had the whole "Tough as nails, anything to get the job done, mess with her at your risk" thing going on. Plus, HOW many Borg did she destroy?  

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:32 pm
Matt Pniewski
Picard was a real rennesaince man. Kirk had no interests in anything but being Captain. Fact is, he was bad at that. He threatened the destruction of an entire planet, placing the life of his crew above the citizens. He killed the last of an alien race as part of a grudge match. He's not just a bad captain, but a horrible human being.

Picard was smarter, more varied interests, and actually had a moral code. he comes off as a stickler for the rules, but he actually shows he's more intelligent by going around the edges, so to speak. Sort of like how Hawkeye and BJ had to be slick with Colonel Potter while they walked all over Colonel Blake. It's so much more satisfying to see them have to be a bit sneakier.
That last reference probably went over quite a few heads in here. I'm not sure that everybody here is a fan of "M.A.S.H."  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Ridley Wolf
Matt Pniewski

That last reference probably went over quite a few heads in here. I'm not sure that everybody here is a fan of "M.A.S.H."

I mention characters walking all over one character. I.E. Kirk and how they had to work around another I.E. Picard. I explained the reference while I made it. You don't have to watch MASH.  

Matt Pniewski

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 pm
Matt Pniewski
Ridley Wolf
Matt Pniewski

I mention characters walking all over one character. I.E. Kirk and how they had to work around another I.E. Picard. I explained the reference while I made it. You don't have to watch MASH.

There's a dark side to everyone. You can't just dwell on the negatives; true, Kirk had some moments where he did seem heartless, but he has a responsibility to those he commands. And if I'm thinking right, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head for the alien race is the whole Loki incident, but they were already extinct anyway.

I really don't mean to start a full-blown argument here. I just want to say you have to look at both the good and bad to see if they are a worthy captain or not. I'm pretty sure Picard has done some things he's not proud of as well. You just can't look at one side of a situation.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:56 pm
Oh interesting,
you put Sulu up there smile .

I guess you can put him there becaus he captained his own ship in one of the movies (I forget which though).  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:33 pm
This probably wasn't a good thing to start up. I've seen the whole "Kirk vs. Picard" thing come to blows on more than one occasion. If we're not careful, this could turn into an all out war. (Runs for cover.)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
larxene 12
Matt Pniewski
Ridley Wolf
Matt Pniewski

There's a dark side to everyone. You can't just dwell on the negatives; true, Kirk had some moments where he did seem heartless, but he has a responsibility to those he commands. And if I'm thinking right, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head for the alien race is the whole Loki incident, but they were already extinct anyway.

I really don't mean to start a full-blown argument here. I just want to say you have to look at both the good and bad to see if they are a worthy captain or not. I'm pretty sure Picard has done some things he's not proud of as well. You just can't look at one side of a situation.

Thing is, one's bad side has to be interesting. The whole "My ship, my crew" thing didn't work for me, and his attitude often made it confusing as to why somebody would allow him to be a captain. Picard, while he could be rebellious but generally wasn't seemed like a more realistic choice to b e Handed a Captain's chair.

Picard kept his emotions within himself, and they would manifest at just the right moments with just the right cues. That's a lot more interesting.

And I was referring to "The Man Trap" where he kills the last of an Alien Race because it killed his crew, despite the opportunities for a safe capture were very possible.

I'm not going to get into a full blown fight over it.  

Matt Pniewski

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:24 pm
xXSuperWhateverXx
Oh interesting,
you put Sulu up there smile .

I guess you can put him there becaus he captained his own ship in one of the movies (I forget which though).

ST 6: The Undiscovered Country.
"Target that explosion and fire."  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas