Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was he?
  No i'm sure there were others
  No, I KNOW there were others and i shall post them
  Yes! Dave Vanian is the King Of The Goths X3
  Looking at the figures i guess it seems that way..
  I have no clue...^^;;
View Results

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 am
User Image
Was Dave Vanian the first music person (silent movie actors had it a looong time ago) to go for a gothic look?
I mean I don't know the specifics but he seemed ot have that look from the beginning, 1976 when as far as i can see not too many people were going for it. Of course there could be plenty of musicians who went nowhere and had the look but i'm talking about known people here whee
And yes i'm aware susie sue was aorund then but here look was punk, not goth then.
Discuss^^

PS. if anyone metions tribes and architecture i WILL hurt them...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:21 pm
Musically, it was Bauhaus who kicked the genre off...

Stylistacally? He's a candidate, but oddly enough, I would say that it was the Addams Family who were the first goths in the sub-culture sense. Before them, there was Edgar Allen Poe. He was pretty goth-y: pale skin, all black clothes, very macabre.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's really hard to gauge who was the "first goth". A lot of the culture happened all at once, so it's just a matter of deciding "what is goth" before we can decide who started it.  

GilAskan
Crew

Zarl

Magnetic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:49 pm
I agree with Gilaskan.
Edgar allen poe. probably for known.
Then we also have in eupoean history with people that we havn't really seen pictures of, Like jack the ripper.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:33 pm
Eccentric artists with tastes for the macabre have existed always. The only thing that's changed recently is the development of a more pronounced subculture.

I bet if you went back far enough, there was a caveman somewhere who no one liked because he wore black furs, rubbed coal over his eyes and painted dramatic cave doodles. rofl  

Lady_Anastasia

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:49 pm
Lady_Anastasia
I bet if you went back far enough, there was a caveman somewhere who no one liked because he wore black furs, rubbed coal over his eyes and painted dramatic cave doodles. rofl

Yeah, it's true. I made- *cough* found proof of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:03 pm
gonk HES TOO GOTH!

Louise Brooks FTW
Silent movie actors had to wear dark make up so they would have a face on screen, otherwise they would be all bleached out.
Louise brooks however, wore that make up all the time, plus had the V bangs, creepy pets and a flair for dark humor.  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:15 pm
To actually address the question (which I didn't in my previous posts)...

In terms of who was the first goth ("goth" referring to the subculture), I would put my vote in for Peter Murphy of the Bauhaus. Besides being part of the definitive goth band (Bauhaus), he really defined the style with his Vampire-y victorian clothes, morbid 20's-horror-movie inspired stage antics, and fascination with existentialism.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:13 am
GilAskan
Lady_Anastasia

Yeah, it's true. I made- *cough* found proof of it.

ROFL lookit it go!
sorry im amused  

xX x0mbie Xx

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:59 pm
Wasn't Andi Sexgang once mentioned as the first goth fan or something?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:08 pm
Cockroach Waltz

Andi is responsible for the creation of the term, or rather, without him, it would never have applied to the subculture. He was a fan of the original bands, but then again, so were a lot of people. He was one of the first fans of the first-wave to get famous within the same scene, I suppose.  

GilAskan
Crew

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:34 am
Cockroach Waltz

Not quite. A few of the people in the Batcave scene, most notably Ian Astbury, referred to him as the Gothic Goblin, mainly because he lived in a building called Visigoth Towers.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:21 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
Cockroach Waltz

Not quite. A few of the people in the Batcave scene, most notably Ian Astbury, referred to him as the Gothic Goblin, mainly because he lived in a building called Visigoth Towers.

Its a real shame about Ian.

If only The Cult didn't become that bloated hard rock band it did.

Cockroach Waltz

Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff