Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
DIY Seitan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Soymilk_Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:54 pm
Seitan (wheat-meat) is ridiculously simple to make at home. Make a dough out of about 2 parts flour (a high gluten flour works best) and one parts water (adjust water and flour levels to make to dough not to sticky and workable) Knead the dough for about 10 minutes and let it rest for the same amount of time then either knead the dough under a gently runnign warm faucet or in a bowl of warm water (changing the water when it get milky) This washes away the starch leaving the rubbery gluten fibers...keep kneading and rinsing until the water runs clear (the dough will reduce ALOT so start with a big ball of dough). shape and cut the seitan as desired and simmer in a broth or some type of flavorign of your choice (soy sauce and tamari is traditional i beleive) for 30-45 minutes. Then cook according to ur recipe or jsut get creative...shred it with BBQ sauce for a nice BBQ sandwich...batter and fry it for nuggets...just have fun
considering the price of a bag of flour this stuff is super cheap and gives you a nice heavy protein meal  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:48 am
How does it give you a heavy protein meal? It's just wheat, water, and flavoring.  

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:26 pm
I think "heavy" protien is the wrong word, but I'm pretty sure that the glutein formed is like a transitional between carb and protein, and whatever it is, this sounds worth trying. Store seitan is soooo exspensive!  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 pm
ANGORAPHOBIA
I think "heavy" protien is the wrong word, but I'm pretty sure that the glutein formed is like a transitional between carb and protein, and whatever it is, this sounds worth trying. Store seitan is soooo exspensive!

Actually it does contain a lot of protein, more than tofu.

Vegetarian Resource Group

Kroger Health Guide

Vegetarian Organic Life

Wikipedia  

Astrox

Soymilk_Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:13 am
when you wash the dough under water all the starch gets washed away leaving the protein strands (gluten)...it has a very meaty texture that many new vegitarians (and older ones too) crave  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:34 pm
I stand corrected! Thanks, y'all!  

ANGORAPHOBIA

Catherine teh Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 pm
Astrox
ANGORAPHOBIA

Actually it does contain a lot of protein, more than tofu.

Vegetarian Resource Group

Kroger Health Guide

Vegetarian Organic Life

Wikipedia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:44 pm
I made my first ever seitan today. It's awesome.  

Catherine teh Vegan

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:09 pm
I made some tonight. I think I might have messed something up because it seems to have a weird aftertaste. :/  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games