Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Vegetarian Health Facts! Please read! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think that eating vegetarian makes you unhealthy?
  Yes!
  Yes, until I read this topic.
  No!
  I don't know.
View Results

Caticus

8,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:46 pm
I'm brand new to the guild and I have been cruising through some of the topics. I must say that I am appalled at the amount of you who believe that a vegetarian diet isn't healthy and is lacking in essential nutrients.

I've been a vegetarian for 4 years and I couldn't be healthier! Below I will paste relevant info from reliable vegetarian sources on the health benefits of going meat-free!

Remember that the key is eating a varied vegetable and fruit rich diet. Plants can give you everything you need! (except B12 which the body hoardes and only hardcore vegans need to suppliment this because it is found in dairy and eggs.)

From GoVeg.com
Quote:
Leading health experts agree that going vegetarian is the single best that thing we can do for ourselves and our families. A meat-free diet rich in complex carbohydrates, protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals provides optimal nutrition for both children and adults, forming the foundation for dietary habits that support a lifetime of good health. ...

Vegetarian foods provide us with all the nutrients that we need, minus the saturated fat, cholesterol, and contaminants found in meat and dairy products. ...

The consumption of meat and dairy products has been conclusively linked with heart disease, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, asthma, and impotence. Scientists have also found that vegetarians have stronger immune systems than their meat-eating friends; this means that they are less susceptible to everyday illnesses like the flu. Vegetarians and vegans live, on average, six to 10 years longer than meat-eaters. ...

A plant-based diet is the best diet for kids, too: Studies have shown that vegetarian kids grow taller and have higher IQs than their classmates, and they are at a reduced risk for heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and other diseases in the long run.10,11 Studies have shown that even older people who switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet can prevent and even reverse many chronic ailments.

The following is an excerpt from Vegan Nutrition; Pure and Simple by Michael Klaper, M.D. soft bound ISBN: 0929274237 with permission from Gentle World.
Found at http://vegweb.com/articles/34.shtml
Quote:
Much unnecessary worry has been generated over "getting enough protein". Two important facts must be kept in mind:

1. Too much protein is unhealthy, and Americans eat too much protein! The actual requirement to make new hair, blood and hormones is only 20 to 40 grams of protein daily - about the weight of ten pennies. The R.D.A.'s are intentionally set substantially higher than actual metabolic needs, to insure abundant intake in every case. Because of meat's concentrated protein loads, most people on the meat-laden American style diet eat an average protein load of 90 to 120 grams each day - the weight of 40 pennies!

These excessive protein loads can cause damage to the kidneys by clogging the "filter units," leading to kidney failure as well as contributing to osteoporosis. Meat-laden, high protein meals are no bargain for your health.

2. The idea of plant protein being "incomplete" and lacking some amino acids has been shown to be a myth. Nature simply cannot make a soybean, potato, or grain of wheat without using all the same amino acids (the "building blocks" of protein) required by the metabolism of humans. Rice, corn, potatoes, and wheat, have all been shown to keep people in positive protein balance when used as the sole protein source. It is almost impossible to design a calorically adequate (2000 calorie) diet, utilizing foods from all the "Vegan Six" groups, and not obtain at least 50 grams of high-quality, "complete" protein.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to combine proteins at each meal. The protein from the whole grain toast enjoyed at breakfast, as well as the tofu in the dinner casserole, are "complete" in their own right, and will each find their way to your liver and other tissues and will be well utilized. However, the more variety in protein sources, the better.

To assure yourself abundant protein while planning your lunch and dinner main dishes, accent the following "Protein All-Stars" from the first four of the "Vegan Six".

GRAINS - Brown rice, oats (cereals - oatmeal, granola, etc.) millet, corn, barley, bulghur, wheat (including whole wheat bread, pastas, cereals, flour, etc.)

LEGUMES - Green peas, lentils, chick peas, alfalfa sprouts, mung beans, and beans of all kinds (kidney, lima, aduki, navy beans, soy beans and products made from them; e.g., tofu, textured vegetable protein granules [Textured Soy Protein], tempeh, soy milks), peanuts, etc.

GREENS - Broccoli, collards, spinach, etc.

NUTS AND SEEDS - Almonds, cashews, walnuts, filberts, pistachios, pecans, macadamias and nut butters made from these. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds (including tahini butter made from ground sesame seeds), pumpkin seeds, etc. ...

In my many years of medical practice, I have never seen a case of protein deficiency in a vegetarian. Hopefully, this section has allayed any cases of "protein panic," and has increased your confidence in the nutritional adequacy of the vegan diet.

http://www.thevegetariansite.com/dietFAQ.htm
Quote:
How do dairy-free vegetarians get adequate calcium?

Many legumes, vegetables, and soy products contain significant amounts of calcium (see the Position of the American Dietetic Association on Vegetarian Diets). However, calcium intake among vegans is generally lower than that of lacto-vegetarians. According to the American Dietetic Association and other nutritional authorities, vegans may have lower calcium needs than nonvegetarians since diets lower in total protein have a calcium-sparing effect. In fact, according to the most comprehensive study ever undertaken concerning the relationship between diet and disease (the Cornell-Oxford-China Diet and Health Project), those Chinese who consume little or no dairy products appear to be at a much lower risk for osteoporosis than we do in the West, where hip fractures are approximately five times more common even though dairy products are consumed in abundance.

Should vegetarians take vitamin supplements?

A well balanced, 100% vegetarian diet provides adequate levels of all nutrients, with the possible exception of vitamin B12. This vitamin is not produced by plants or animals, but rather by microorganisms present in soil, meat, and dairy products. Traces of B12 may be found on root vegetables, and Asian foods such as miso and tempeh may contain significant amounts, but these are not reliable sources. Vegans should be sure to include a good source of vitamin B12. Fortified staples include many breakfast cereals, meat substitute products, some brands of soy milk, and other vegetarian foods. Check the label for cyanocobalamin or methocobalamin, the best absorbed forms of B12. Vitamin B12 is also found in almost all standard multivitamin tablets.

Do vegetarians get enough protein?

The notion that eliminating all meat, eggs, and dairy products from the diet (100% vegetarian, or vegan) might result in a protein deficiency remains one of the most common and unfounded beliefs about vegetarianism. Adequate protein intake is easily achieved by consuming a variety of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and legumes. According the American Dietetic Association, complementary proteins do not need to be consumed at the same time. (Back in the 1970s, it was thought that such "food mixing" was necessary.) For those vegetarians who choose to consume high levels of protein, soy products such as meat analogs provide a low-fat alternative to animal flesh. Even professional athletes do not need meat, eggs, or dairy products.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:47 pm
*reserved*  

Caticus

8,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100

Caticus

8,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:48 pm
*reserved*  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:50 pm
*reserved*  

Caticus

8,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100

realt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:54 pm
wow!! youve restored my faith in the healthyness of..well..eating! congrats!!*pats on shoulder and ruffles hair*  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:39 pm
B12 is also found in a rare plant called Blue Green Algae. Which many of our Vegan foods are enriched with these days. We've really come a long way since the seventies. mrgreen  

DionaLadeja

anarchyneko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:44 pm
as long as i'm eating balanced, than i'm good. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:46 pm
Wow.
I have GOT to show this to my dad.
Thank you.
*applauds for 50 hours straight*

La Violetta

Metaphorical Nonsense

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:02 pm
La Violetta
Wow.
I have GOT to show this to my dad.
Thank you.
*applauds for 50 hours straight*

Ditto!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 pm
Yeah, my parents used to get on my case about protien mixing until I showed them this one cookbook that was written by doctors that totally debunked it... The Vegetarian Way by Drs. Virginia and Mark Messina. 3nodding The info is good, even if the recipes aren't.  

ANGORAPHOBIA

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:57 pm
That was very informative! Thanks for the nice lists, as well! That'll come in handy! Now I have an excuse to eat oatmeal!
*pours a bowl of oatmeal*
Now, oatmeal, MEET YOUR DOOM!
smile  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:40 pm
It was my job to prove to my parents that even though I didn't eat meat.. I could still be healthy. I did it no problem. Thats how it should be. not doubting me.  

whitewaterlilly13

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:37 am
This is from a website my boss gave me at work. I have not read the entire website yet and don't know there sources and studies. My boss is a health nut and was feeding soy to her 3 year old for years as formula and was pissed to find out that you are not supposed to. But I found this on the site about vegan diets.

Quote:
Vegans who do not supplement their diet with vitamin B12 will eventually get anemia (a fatal condition) as well as severe nervous and digestive system damage; most, if not all, vegans have impaired B12 metabolism and every study of vegan groups has demonstrated low vitamin B12 concentrations in the majority of individuals (11). Several studies have been done documenting B12 deficiencies in vegan children, often with dire consequences (12). Additionally, claims are made in vegan and vegetarian literature that B12 is present in certain algae, tempeh (a fermented soy product) and Brewer's yeast. All of them are false as vitamin B12 is only found in animal foods. Brewer's and nutritional yeasts do not contain B12 naturally; they are always fortified from an outside source.

There is not real B12 in plant sources but B12 analogues--they are similar to true B12, but not exactly the same and because of this they are not bioavailable (13). It should be noted here that these B12 analogues can impair absorption of true vitamin B12 in the body due to competitive absorption, placing vegans and vegetarians who consume lots of soy, algae, and yeast at a greater risk for a deficiency (14).

Some vegetarian authorities claim that B12 is produced by certain fermenting bacteria in the lower intestines. This may be true, but it is in a form unusable by the body. B12 requires intrinsic factor from the stomach for proper absorption in the ileum. Since the bacterial product does not have intrinsic factor bound to it, it cannot be absorbed (15).

It is true that Hindu vegans living in certain parts of India do not suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency. This has led some to conclude that plant foods do provide this vitamin. This conclusion, however, is erroneous as many small insects, their feces, eggs, larvae and/or residue, are left on the plant foods these people consume, due to non-use of pesticides and inefficient cleaning methods. This is how these people obtain their vitamin B12. This contention is borne out by the fact that when vegan Indian Hindus later migrated to England, they came down with megaloblastic anaemia within a few years. In England, the food supply is cleaner, and insect residues are completely removed from plant foods (16).

The only reliable and absorbable sources of vitamin B12 are animal products, especially organ meats and eggs (17). Though present in lesser amounts than meat and eggs, dairy products do contain B12. Vegans, therefore, should consider adding dairy products into their diets. If dairy cannot be tolerated, eggs, preferably from free-run hens, are a virtual necessity.

That vitamin B12 can only be obtained from animal foods is one of the strongest arguments against veganism being a "natural" way of human eating. Today, vegans can avoid anemia by taking supplemental vitamins or fortified foods. If those same people had lived just a few decades ago, when these products were unavailable, they would have died.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:50 pm
wow thanks i always thought i ate bad but apparently not! yay so happy and can show this to my parents biggrin *applauds*  

savetheearth4me

Kokoru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:38 pm
savetheearth4me
wow thanks i always thought i ate bad but apparently not! yay so happy and can show this to my parents biggrin *applauds*

You might still be eating bad. Healthy =/= vegetarian =/= healthy.

As long as you're eating foods in moderation and getting the right nutrients, you'll be fine.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff