Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [ChatterBox]________Everything Else, Newbie Threads, Advertising, Etc.
Japanese Snacks Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Japanese snacks?
  Yes!
  No.
  I've never tried any.
View Results

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:14 pm
So, who here likes Japanese snacks? What kinds have you tried? What's your favorite? What's the grossest thing ever that you won't touch with a ten foot pole?

For-Chan Cookie
Here's a list of things I tried...which now that I look at it is surprisingly long O_O

Like just about everyone else in the universe, I've tried pocky. When I first heard about it, I didn't believe that it could really be so addictive, but it is. It's fun and tastey. I've tried quite a few kinds, but strawberry remains my firm favorite.

I've also had pretz. I love tomato pretz! It's just as addictive as pocky, but is more for those who like a more savory snack.

How about Caplico? Anyone had that? It's like a small narrow ice cream cone with chocolate fillings. They were really good. I always buy some when I see them now. Dare I say that I like them more than pocky?

Yan Yan is a biscuit stick that you dip in gooey frostingy stuff. It's yummy. I always end up with leftover frosting that I just eat with my finger ^_^

How about Meiji candies? You can usually find an assortment pack of five small boxes. All five of them are so good! I'm more partial to the choco babies and the smooth strawberry shelled candy. They're like strawberry M&MS, but better!

Poiful is a yummy Japanese gummy-type jelly bean. They're nice and fruity.

Meltykiss is a nice melt in your mouth treat. I love it when chocolate melts in my mouth as smooth as this.

Pucca was ok, I prefer Koalas ^_^

Lotte's Koala Cookies are awesome. I love the strawberry ones! Are we seeing a trend here? I'm really fond of the strawberry flavored things ^_^ I can get chocolate here any old day, but strawberry, mmmmm. Anyway, these guys are so cute, I love popping them in my mouth and eating their heads! O_O!

Bontan Ame Rice Candy has the honor of being the first Japanese sweet I ever tried and to this day I am still very partial to them ^__^

For the life of me, I could not get my first Ramune Soda open by myself. My cousin had to do it for me -_-; Despite all the effort to get in, it was pretty good. Not the best, but not bad either. Of course, I think I had more fun with the bottle afterwards than anything else xd

Vegita-Beta is an orange non-carbonated apricot-flavored drink with beta-carotene. I thought it was tastey.

Most recently, in San Francisco, I got to try mochi ice cream and plain old mochi. I am in love. The texture is so different, but it's really good. I've also tried several hard and gummi candies on a recent stay in New York. Snacks are always fun to try. ^_^

And now, things I tried and didn't like. Green Tea ice cream. I tried it, and the flavor was just too weird for me. It might have been just that particular brand, but I don't really see myself trying it again.

Someone once gave me a sheet of seaweed to munch on. Ugh. Dry seaweed is totally not for me.

Things I won't attempt to try: Wasabi peas. They scare me O_o

Anyway, there's my incredibly long list of stuff! I got a lot of help naming and linking to stuff from Japanesesnacks.com. So now, start talking about your favorite Japanese snacks. ^__^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:22 am
I live in an area that is depressingly deprived of Japanese things. You have to travel for over an hour to the city to be able to get manga, anime, or japanese foods. (Because where I live is a tourist town for the most part, you're far more likely to find Australian souveniers like toy koala's. -_- ) I've only ever tried Pocky. It was chocolate pocky, and it was delicious. <3  

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

justamunkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:54 am
I love Japanese snacks! It's easier to get now that there's a store called Japanese Junk Food 2 minutes from my house. Of course, it's right next to my gym.... ah, the irony crying  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:36 am
Pocky is super addictive. There is the comic shop by my mom's house that usually sells some. Last time they went I spent like $30 on buying all the pocky. It didn't last a week. Me and my friends at it all in 2 days. I've only had Ramune twice. He doesn't get much of that in his shop. I did have yummy gummies and some hello kitty yogurt candies though. They were great.  

Severed Pianist

Vergesse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:45 pm
My ex boyfriend used to give me Japanese candy all the time. >_> He lived in Tokyo. The best ones were these bread things with chocolate in the middle, and each box came with a little plastic charm of an animal in a cup.. they were sooo good. I dunno what the name was, it was written in Japanese Kanji. @_@'
>_<;;

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:32 pm
I've tried pocky and pretz and the koalas! They're really cute. whee I've had some candies too, but I don't know all their names.  

This is Major Tom

Foxglove_Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:29 pm
I've only ever tried Pocky (chocolate and strawberry, my fav is chcolate) and Tomato Pretz (Oh. My. Godz. heart ). I've also tried several Chinese candies I don't know the names of, because a friend of mine was adopted from China and her parents, in an effort to keep her close to her roots, has turned their house into a mini Chinatown. I don't know where they find most of their stuff. eek  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

LadyNox
Vice Captain

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:08 pm
LadyNox
I've tried all sorts of things (not as much as you Forchan o.o).

Yeah, I know I made a really long list ^_^;; But through the years I've made it a point to try all sorts of new things. Japan comes out with some interesting stuff and I enjoy exploring it because it's so not what I'm used to. Even when I lived overseas, everything was pretty mild and familiar in comparison to Japanese snacks. So yeah, I enjoy exploring the wonderful world of sweets. Though I do have to say this, Scotland had the best selection of gummies ever. I loved getting gummies there. heart

And of course, anime helped with my Japanese snack obsession a lot. I used to live in Epcot Japan when I worked in Walt Disney World. Ok, I didn't really, but it seemed that way. BTW, their melon shaved ice was awesome! I love melon flavor ^_^ Not "watermelon" but the nice cool green honeydew melon flavor. Mmmmm. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:33 am
I've only tried a few but like most i've tried and adore pocky, hello kitty candy and mashmellow,kola cookies,white rabbit, melon gummies...i don't know the name but the small flower hard candy and yam yam, which i wasn't too keen on after trying.  

SephirothMaiden

jad3d

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:22 pm
I like those japanese crackers, koala bears, and especially pocky.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:56 am
I don't even know what all I've tried anymore. XD I think my favorites would have to be Royal Milk Tea Pocky, Choco Gummy, and mochi ice cream. <3

Hm.. as for finding stuff, it's actually been pretty easy.. both Krogers and Walmart have started selling chocolate and strawberry pocky in the past year or so and Walmart also sells yanyan and botan rice candy.  

the_almighty_bob

Sweet Toxine

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:21 pm
Chocolate Pocky, YanYan, tomato Pretz and lychee Ramune heart

There's quite a variety at H-E-B but I'm afraid to taste some of them since I don't even know what they are~

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm
Pocky!! 3nodding  

Tokay-Spirit

farewell songs

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm
I've tried alot of different Japanese snacks...including almost every variety of pocky (Men's Pocky is the best.) Yanyan is delicious too, I like the strawberry kind best. I've had really good japanese lolipops, and these lemon candies that had engrish on the package xD (It said something like Oh! Powaful Candies!)I I'm really bad with names, so I can't really rmemeber them xD; The tiny little bottles of Yogurt softdrinks are delicious as well.

But I'll be honest, Korean snacks generally own over the japanese ones. Korean pocky is better, Korean Yogurt drinks are better, and so are many other various candies. Go Korea!

[ChatterBox]________Everything Else, Newbie Threads, Advertising, Etc.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games