Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
Does anyone else hate Hot Topic? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXdiamonds_cutXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:03 pm
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think that band t-shirts are like a sign that you've seen the band and that you support them enough to pay to see them play. Like a badge of honor.
Also, Hot Topic says that they are all about the music, but what about the little guys in which Hot Topic refuses to sell their cd's? Hot Topic won't sell local music if they aren't signed....
Please tell me I'm not alone on this one?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:26 pm
The Hot Topic close to me will sell local music even if the band's not signed...  

Cancer`

The Brand New

Regular

7,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:28 pm
xXdiamonds_cutXx
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think that band t-shirts are like a sign that you've seen the band and that you support them enough to pay to see them play. Like a badge of honor.
Also, Hot Topic says that they are all about the music, but what about the little guys in which Hot Topic refuses to sell their cd's? Hot Topic won't sell local music if they aren't signed....
Please tell me I'm not alone on this one?

I have noooo idea if they do that. but they do sell soundtracks? Well the local bands I know are really good but I dont think they are even selling CDs yet... I guess Hot Topic choses what band is mainstream or not or good or bad. I dont know?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:59 pm
-can't agree got no store's here named hot topic. whee  

foils

Invisible Noob

Akuneko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:29 am
Well, you're lucky, Hyuuga-san. Hot Topic bites. It's too expensive. Also, I think band t-shirts are BAD, BAAAAD... Because people don't earn them anymore by going to shows... They trudge up to the local Hot Topic and cheat. Which makes band apparel not only worth less, but degrading as well...

I laugh when I see all the 'punk' kids inside who are still in elementary school, and their moms won't let them wear black, but they still think Hot Topic is cool...  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:29 am
I don't understand how some people can just hate Hot Topic with an undying passion. Now, before I get into this, I will say that I personally don't really shop there, nor do I feel the need to buy their things, but that doesn't mean I absolutly HATE them.

First: People were able to 'cheat' on buying band shirts before Hot Topic was even thought of. It's called the INTERNET. Also, who said that bands don't aren't supported when you go any buy their shirt at the store? The only reason why they are 20 dollars is because the band is getting their 14 dollars out of the shirt and Hot Topic is making money on the side. DUH. I don't think it's really right to wear a shirt from a band you have never seen live, but there is no use in stopping someone. Who cares? You can't see Pink Floyd or The Grateful Dead anymore, so is it a crime to wear their shirts as well?

Second: My Hot Topic DOES sell unsigned, local bands. Basically, all the band has to do is take their CD in, talk to the manager, and the next day their CD is on the shelf. Hot Topic may seem to have drifted from their 'all about the music' slogan, but at least a part of it is holding onto that.

I am just not going to spend 60 dollars on a pair of pants. Which is why I shop off clearance racks and at second-hand store. I'm not up my mommy's a** so I don't have money.

Xyloid

lawlosaur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:42 pm
i dont think you have to go see a band to get a shirt, but if you have only heard one song by them or something then you should wait to see if you really like them and buy their cds or something.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Well, none of the Hot Topics that I ever have been to sell local music. My friends have tried to get their CDs sold there, and they have been turned down numerous times.
I'm glad that i'm not the only one who thinks that a band shirt should be bought at the shows....and also that their prices are rediculous. I mean I just used to go there to buy gauges and stuff, but then I realized that you can get the exact same thing for 6 or 7 dollars at a tattoo parlor. 20 dollars for a piece of metal is rediculous, and 60 dollars for a pair of pants is disgusting....  

xXdiamonds_cutXx

HellMistress_Frizzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:57 pm
Things must be damn expensve in Canada then, cause when I go across the border and find a Hot Topic, I find the prices to be reasonable, not cheap, but I don't find it expensive.

And if band shirts should only be bought at shows, why do the bands sell them on the internet or whatnot? I mean you can absolutely love a band, but live in a small town and just not have the means to ever get to somewhere where you can see them live, so buying a shirt is a way of supporting them none the less. I don't agree with buying a shirt of a band you don't truely appreciate, but I see nothing wrong in wanting to show your appreciation for a band you actually listen to.

Sure hot topic isn't just about the music anymore, and some of the stuff they carry is absolutely ridiculous, but I don't see it as being this horrific store like people make it up to be. It's like any other store: you walk in, you see somthing you really like and you buy it if it's what you want. I don't understand the "shame" in buying something there versus any other store. If someone refuses to buy anywhere else, than I see the problem...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:26 pm
What the hell. How do emo people hate the one true store for emo peoples..... I mean it is all about the sadness and the hatred of the preps.... so if it is all about your symbolism then how do you hate it they even love the weirdeos and crack whores that come into the store randomly so they love you too... And the only reason that preps go into the store is becuase they like to be sneered at and mugged......  

-your_Suicide_note-

finding emotive

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:09 pm
I find Hot Topic to be a great idea. Its just another music store, if I can find band merch in a store I would much rather buy it from there than online.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:00 pm
i love hot topic. no store sells band merchandise in vegas other than them. and they are the only people that give me my combat boots. and i can't buy things online. i don't have a ceredit(i suck at spelling) card! so yeah. and hot topic doens't sell the shirts you can get from the comcerts(well they sell some) and not everyone can go to concerts of the bands they love. heck i've only been to one concert i've liked. and i still bought some of their shirts from hot topic because i love them.
and i think they don't sell local band cds because they don't have their cd out yet. because my favorite local band is getting their cd out and i'm sure it will be sold at hot topic (wee they signed with epitaph).  

Thida Fxcking Tragedy++

Gir_is_the_Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:57 pm
Hot Topic sells Mindless Self Indulgence CDs. They weren't signed for a loooong time.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:47 am

I don't hate Hot Topic but at the same time it's not one of my favorite stores.
Waaaay too many wannabes going in there.
But as far as I know the Hot Topic where I live sells local music, signed or not.
-bougght some A Beautiful Tragedy from there-

the terrible

teishee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:21 pm
i don`t buy clothes from hot topic. does that mean i`m scared?? lol  
The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games