Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
Film Project Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good idea?
  Yes.
  No; It has already been done.
  Make it good! Then it'll be watch-worthy!
View Results

Zee`s Dead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:17 am
So, one day my mom and I were talking as I heated up some England Clam Chowder ( nummy ::drools:: ) and discussed because I just randomly said "Gay men on dragons" (Inside joke between me and my friend). She said to me "What...if you did a film project on gay people" and I asked what she meant and she continued with something like this:
"What if you took some of the most popular kids in your class, filmed them going to their parents then falsely say that they were gay/lesbian/bisexual. Record what would happen by hidden camera.. what their parents said, what happened to them, all over a weekly basis. Afterwards, make them go to them again and say that they were not gay and see what would happen after THAT." I thought this was brilliant and she joked that I'd have to deal with "all of the overly religious parents". I wouldn't mind..I dunno if this was already done before but it sounds fun. ninja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:00 pm
I think that coming out is a very serious issue for a lot of people. It's a life altering decision. It might be ok for some people because their parents love them and will accept them however they come, but for others it can be devastating when their parents reject them. I don't think this is something you can treat so trivially, like an April Fool's Joke. Not to mention that you could seriously ruin the trust between parent and child here. Would the parents ever believe that their kids were lying? Maybe they'll think that they decided to take it back since they got bad reactions. It would just be too cruel to the people involved to attempt something like this. Making a documentary on coming out is one thing, tricking everyone because it sounds like a novel idea it just not cool.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

This is Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:05 pm
No offense to your mom, but this sounds like an awful idea. Think of all the damage you'd be doing to peoples' families by making them trick their parents! I don't see how anything so potentially disastrous could ever be a "brilliant" idea. neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:32 pm
This is Major Tom
No offense to your mom, but this sounds like an awful idea. Think of all the damage you'd be doing to peoples' families by making them trick their parents! I don't see how anything so potentially disastrous could ever be a "brilliant" idea. neutral

Seconded. It's a completelly obscene idea which may have disastrious consequenses for all parties involved. I'd stay clear of this mountain of insanity if I were you rather than risking completelly ruining several people's lives.  

[OMFG NARKI]

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:30 am
well personally, i think that a documentary on coming out would be great!

however, i think youd need to contain it if you wanted to keep the trust.

if the parent is uber-religious, id advise extreme caution, so that if the parent freaks and kicks the kid out or something, you would actually be IN the house already to explain to the parent that it wasnt true.

so yeah. i dont think fooling the parents is a good ideas. brainstorm a bit though, i think this could turn out to be great with a little thought!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:53 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

LadyNox
Vice Captain

SmexyOnlyForShay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:23 pm
it sounds like a good idea, but seems too risky for the ppl involved. :/  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:04 pm
It's not like my mother and I think that coming out is a not big deal. My mother is very strong hearted and she believes that all people need to be treated equally among society. It won't be like Punk'd, HELL NO, and it's not like I'm doing this for fun and games a popular cred. I wasn't making this into a big ha-ha joke either. I was just making it so I would make others seem interested in what I think and do. Do you all really find it offensive and destructive to allow one to confront parentals and inform them that they've made a life choice that is their own, in their blood? If something like this already aired, would you all really take offense? It might change the outlook on how some families treat people that aren't like them..along with others. Teenagers that are straight and idiotic might watch what they say.."Queer", "f**", "Oh, you're/that's so gay"..it might change something. That's why there's shows like "True Life" and, sometimes, shows like "Wife Swap".  

Zee`s Dead

Nefalkarx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:04 pm
I think it could either bomb or be a great success. No middle. Personally, it sounds like a good idea to me. It doesn't seem light hearted or like an April Fool's Day joke at all. It might make people think, realise what it would be like to live with a homosexual child, how to deal with your son or daughter coming out to you.
On the other hand, I sort of have to agree with most everyone. It could totally break apart some families. I think it's really up to you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 am
Thanks for clearifying your point of view, but you seem to fail to see the main concern here. The people involved could end up in a really awkward position, so at least try and take some kind of precautions to avoid that happening, kay? It's pretty serious business after all.  

[OMFG NARKI]

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:53 am
again, you would have to keep a tight handle on things. what would happen if the kid got thrown out? what would happen if the parent never believed the kid again? what would happen if the parent started trying to set the pretending-to-be-gay kid up on same-sex dates? ......actually, that would make a hilarious show. parents setting their kids up with the weirdest people possible.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:09 pm
I've come to a conclusion that people could be thrown out. ::shrugs:: Seems like a good idea otherwise, if that wasn't involved.  

Zee`s Dead

[OMFG NARKI]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:04 pm
How about distrust? Isolation? Being frozen out from the rest of the family? Aren't those equally nasty fates to take into consideration?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:17 pm
I think it is a good idea (seriously interesting), but obviously make the applicants aware of the potential risks. (Preferably get them to sign something so you don't get done!) It'd be a much bigger issue to some people than others, I expect most people would have a pretty good idea of how their parents would take it and wouldn't volunteer for it if they think they'll get disowned!

Maybe you could correlate it with research that just asks parents, hypothetically, what they'd do if their kids were gay, that would be pretty interesting.

The problem (other than ethics) would probably be sampling if you did that though. You'd have to find sets of parents that were similar to be able to make good comparisons... *is remembering her sociology*

Aeronwyn

14,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cheerleader 200

Zee`s Dead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:22 pm
Narki
How about distrust? Isolation? Being frozen out from the rest of the family? Aren't those equally nasty fates to take into consideration?

Don't act like I don't give a damn about what happens.  
[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff