Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Buttercup and Westley are
  twins!
  lovers
View Results

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:30 pm
A wonderful book with good humor. A fairy tale with love, adventure, miracles, a giant, a spaniard, the R.O.U.S's, and an evil prince plotting murder.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:38 pm
The end, though, is odd, to say the least (or should I say "The ends are odd")?  

Bookwyrme

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:41 pm
I didn't like this book much, either. It was just... annoying. The way it introduced a character, then went back in time to give their story, and then back to the present just bugged me. The movie was okay, though not too much like the book, but not the best movie I've ever seen. I saw the sequel to The Princess Bride in the bookstore sometime or other, and almost got it, but then remembered that I didn't like the first one.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:34 pm
I really liked the movie.

The book was rather more cynical than I like. Though it has been years since I read it.  

Bookwyrme

Harbone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 am
I rather liked the book. And, I might add, it had one of the finest end paper maps of any fantasy book I've encountered in a long time. Well, the edition I read had a great map of Florin and Guilder, anyway, complete with false perspective, detailed renderings of places like "the Menagerie" and some rather funny fish pictures.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:21 pm
I love the Princess Bride! I really love the movie as I haven't read the book. The guy that plays Wesley is hot! I can't think of the actors name. It will come to me later.  

Lady_Altheia

doodlebuggey88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 pm
Lady_Altheia
I love the Princess Bride! I really love the movie as I haven't read the book. The guy that plays Wesley is hot! I can't think of the actors name. It will come to me later.

It's Cary Elwes just so you know.

I think the Princess Bride is a wonderful book. I sometimes want to smack the book for how it ends, but it does leave plenty of room for my imagination, which can be fun. Some of the lines in the book are just great ("I have loved you for several hours now" and the rest of that long speech). I love the movie too; if almost any other film tried some of the elements that are in the Princess Bride movie then it would come across as cheesy. As it is there's just something about it that makes the atmosphere of it endearing, although I know there are many people who would disagree with me.

There's a sequel to the books? I'll have to keep my eyes open. *adds one more book to reading list that is already pages long*  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:37 pm
lauray-chan
There's a sequel to the books? I'll have to keep my eyes open. *adds one more book to reading list that is already pages long*

I think I saw it, but I don't remember where. Maybe in the back of the book, I odn't know anymore.  

NightIntent
Captain

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:54 pm
I loved both the movie and the book. They were both so awsome!! xd
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." pirate Gotta love that quote.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:58 am
There was the first chapter of an alleged sequel in the 25th anniversary edition of the book, but I think that that was just Goldman playing games with genre expectations again - it doesn't strike me as a story that a sequel would do anything for.  

Nuala

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:36 am
lavenvi05
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." pirate Gotta love that quote.

That is, pretty much, the only part I liked about the movie. Oh, man. I went around giggling for days afterward, thinking about that quote.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:51 am
Well, yes, I thought the modesty and confidence of Cary Elwes' Wesley in the movie were great, myself. The dialogue is very subtle, it takes some of the best stuff from the book and boils it down to classic swashbuckling banter.

(Incidentally, if you like both Cary Elwes and vampires, you might enjoy the movie SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE. It's an alternate history in which the movie Nosferatu is shot with a real, live vampire as the lead. It's not very action packed, in fact, it's somber and "atmospheric" which means slowly paced. But Cary Elwes plays a cameraman with the weirdest German accent I've ever heard! It's great!)  

Harbone

Nuala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:00 am
And Willem Dafoe completely steals the movie as Max Schreck, as far as I'm concerned. There's just something about that scene where he's discussing what he found to be the sadest part of Dracula...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:31 pm
Well, yeah, Willem Defoe is one of the masters of cinematic creepy. But as far as screen writing goes, I'm afraid the entire "it's sad for a nobleman to come down so far in the world he has to act like a servant" thing was ripped off from a Ray Bradbury short story, or so I'm told. Which is sad, because it was one of the few parts of the movie I actually liked (I'm really not a big fan of impressionist-derived cinematography.)

I mention it, again, because there's a whole lotta vampiric literature threads in this guild.

But, back to The Princess Bride. I think it's neat how a theme of both the novel and the movie are the somewhat inaccurate way we pass on stories from one generation to another, how the original tale always has something terrible and embarrassing in it, but how, if you take the time to seek out the original telling, it still manages to hold a few surprises.  

Harbone

CrownPrincessLaya

Heart Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:12 am
lavenvi05
When ever one of my friends starts to say that I poke 'em in the kneck and they start laughing like crazy xd  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff