Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Labyrinths

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:39 pm
A local church set up a canvas labyrnth that people could walk through today, modeled after the one at Chartres Cathedral.

I'm still digesting the experience but will post about it later.

Has anyone else walked a labyrinth? What are your thoughts on their relevance to your own faith or faith in general? Do you consider them a useful or legitimate tool for meditation or worship? Discuss.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:18 pm
I've walked a labyrinth before, but seeing as how I was a keen-eyed, hyper-active thirteen year-old using the 'follow the wall' trick, I can't say the experience was cool in a spiritual sense. It was just cool. If a bit easy.

I've heard/read of them being used as meditation and worship tools, but it was never really explained in-depth or touched upon for any length of time.

Heard it in conjunction of shamanistic practices mostly, I think.  

Maze

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:00 pm
Maze
I've walked a labyrinth before, but seeing as how I was a keen-eyed, hyper-active thirteen year-old using the 'follow the wall' trick, I can't say the experience was cool in a spiritual sense. It was just cool. If a bit easy.

I've heard/read of them being used as meditation and worship tools, but it was never really explained in-depth or touched upon for any length of time.

Heard it in conjunction of shamanistic practices mostly, I think.
It may have been a maze instead. The "follow the left wall" trick is only useful in mazes--a labyrinth only has the one path. You go to the center and then you come back out. It's less of a physical puzzle than a spiritual puzzle, I guess you could say. You can enter one with a question or a problem and you may find you have the answer when you reach the center or come back out again.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:55 am
I love labyrinths, I remember walking one down in cork but that was me being a hyper 24 year old and hop-skipping it. It wasn't much of an experience but it wasn't the first one i've walked. I love all the shapes and sizes they can come in and was thinking of making one for the fun of it but I'd forgotten about it entirely. Thanks for reminding me biggrin

Edit:
5 second search gave this http://www.labyrinthcompany.com/ ] webpage from a company that designs them, just so people can take a quick look in case they get confused as to the idea between a labrynth and a maze, I know I had to be shown one the first time.
and lets not forget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth  

bobz

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:41 am
I walked a number of them when I lived in Europe, and there are a few near where I live as well.

Grew so fond of them for a time that I had an engraved stone made so that I could trace my finger along the groove and use it in a similar fashion. Moving Meditations as wonderful and as someone who spends a great deal of time in my head, I find them far more grounding.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:10 pm
first walked a labyrinth when i was at church camp. it was very enlightening. i think i blame it for raising my ability to cry from the dead.

two churches that i know of (episcopalian both of them) in town also have their own labyrinths. grace saint paul's has one painted on their entry way outside and church of the apostles has a native american one lined with rocks outside the sacristy. beautiful, both of them.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Maze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:38 pm
TheDisreputableDog
It may have been a maze instead. The "follow the left wall" trick is only useful in mazes--a labyrinth only has the one path. You go to the center and then you come back out. It's less of a physical puzzle than a spiritual puzzle, I guess you could say. You can enter one with a question or a problem and you may find you have the answer when you reach the center or come back out again.

Didn't know there was a difference, no, thanks for pointing that out smile I'm afraid I don't really have any experience with them relevant to the OP, though.. *grins*

Kind of curious about your experiences now, though.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Wow, this thread brings back memories of the corn mazes in my childhood.

To me they were just pure fun but after reading this I think I'll take a closer look at their spiritual aspects the next time.  

crystal_raye

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:41 pm
Raye>> Like it was mentioned before, there is a difference between a maze and a labyrinth.

However, no reason one cannot use a maze in much the same way. Slightly different symbology and all, but rewarding none the less.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:44 pm
There was a labyrinth of candles at a wake I went to when I was in the fifth or sixth grade, and I've since had trouble, since it was the first labyrinth I walked, not associating them with death. I'd like to explore more someday I think, because of the grounding aspect, but first I need to not immediately think wakes.  

TatteredAngel

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff