Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
No- the Bible does not damn Witchcraft or Pagans Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this a useful insight to Christendom, Paganism and Witchcraft?
  Yes
  No
  Say wha?
  Other
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:36 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:05 pm
Well, I know neither Hebrew nor Greek so I can't be an informed critic or rebuttor. 3nodding I'd say it looks sensible. From my own readings at least, although only in English, I have noticed some of the logical differences between what the Bible actually says and how it is popularly represented. Although I'm a bit behind on those too.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:37 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Well, I know neither Hebrew nor Greek so I can't be an informed critic or rebuttor. 3nodding I'd say it looks sensible. From my own readings at least, although only in English, I have noticed some of the logical differences between what the Bible actually says and how it is popularly represented. Although I'm a bit behind on those too.
Thank you for posting a comment.

The Greek Interlinear Bible is a good starting source. (As is the Queen Jane... but that's my sense of humor acting up)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:40 pm
crying I heart jooo.
It's very good.
Although I'm sure that somewhere on the history channel they explained that a king in England had the word Witch put in as a substitution for something along the lines of "one who poisons", and so forth...
But I also didn't pay incredibly close attention until I heard the word witch, so yeah...
But goodness and praise for you anyway.  

Light Chakra

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:03 pm
Light Chakra
crying I heart jooo.
It's very good.
Although I'm sure that somewhere on the history channel they explained that a king in England had the word Witch put in as a substitution for something along the lines of "one who poisons", and so forth...
But I also didn't pay incredibly close attention until I heard the word witch, so yeah...
But goodness and praise for you anyway.

Exodus 22:18 is what is usually cited. And I am inclined to disagree with HC, the word is kashaph in Hebrew and it is honestly a term for worship.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:32 pm
First thing I noticed was the lack of citations other than Biblical, which is something I presume you'll address eventually. Most critically there need to be citations wherever you're referencing a Hebrew word and stating an english translation of it. Without that in there, while the argument is interesting it is non-persuasive. I've seen different sources doing similar arguments using Hebrew words and coming to completely different readings. Until I read something from someone who is an expert in Hebrew translations or has some equivalently deep understanding of the issue, I choose to abstain judgement on it.

Then again, regardless of what the proper translation actually IS, it is the subjective interpretation of individuals that counts. That subjective interpretation could lead either in favor of what you say here or against it. People'll choose their interpretations based on what's most consistent with their way of experiencing the world.  

Starlock

Jaded Cat of the World

Blazing Wildcat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:44 pm
It really looks like you did your research on it. Looks very impresive.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:26 am
This actually pairs well with and reminds me of something I meant to do a couple weeks ago. In my personal opinion based on interpretation of the New Testament (and a bit of unverified personal gnosis), there's some pretty decent evidence to support the idea that Jesus called on his disciples to perform feats of magic. I'll post up my opinions and scriptural reference sometime soon, hopefully.  

Gideon Starorzewski

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:56 pm
Grant Morrison
This actually pairs well with and reminds me of something I meant to do a couple weeks ago. In my personal opinion based on interpretation of the New Testament (and a bit of unverified personal gnosis), there's some pretty decent evidence to support the idea that Jesus called on his disciples to perform feats of magic. I'll post up my opinions and scriptural reference sometime soon, hopefully.
Would be an interesting read.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 am
it doestn't damn witchcraft but does damn the worship of other gods this only applies to christians and jews though as it was one of the ten commandments, the reason witchcraft is attacked so much is that it causes paranoia. erm well if your a chiristian doesn't even damn you then though  

xoxoxoxzozo

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:12 pm
tetres
it doestn't damn witchcraft but does damn the worship of other gods this only applies to christians and jews though as it was one of the ten commandments, the reason witchcraft is attacked so much is that it causes paranoia. erm well if your a chiristian doesn't even damn you then though
Hence my citation of "the Other People" argument.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:21 am
Well, I found a verse for the whole "other people" argument that can be thrown in, to help cement the argument.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 (NIV)
5. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),
6. yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

I popped through it in a few different translations, and the only one I saw that didnt support this was the New Living Translation (NLT).  

PhantomPhoenix0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:49 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Well, I found a verse for the whole "other people" argument that can be thrown in, to help cement the argument.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 (NIV)
5. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),
6. yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

I popped through it in a few different translations, and the only one I saw that didnt support this was the New Living Translation (NLT).
I'll take a look at the Greek and get back to you hun.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:50 am
An interesting argument from a philisophical basis, I tend to think that the church has always changed things around as to damn certian groups of people they didn't like. I think it's an interesting paper, and from a historical context would be interesting to research. It might back up your claim with using other references that believe as you do, and also refuting sources that are against your idea, that would add more solidarity to your argument. I think you have a good start and it would be and interesting read.

This comment has nothing really to do with the paper itself, just my thought. I'm Wiccan, and I don't want nor need any kind of acknowledgement from the church, so from a personal standpoint, I don't care what the bible says about what I believe. Sorry I just had to say that, my whole take on the subject is everyone will live their lives how it makes them happy, and was long as they are good people, they will go to a good place. If I'm wrong and everyone that isn't christian really is going to hell, then that's one huge cosmic joke considering the Dahli Lama and Ghandi are going to hell. So the bible holds no interest to me. sweatdrop  

TionneDawnstar

Triste-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:39 pm
Out of curiosity, can we infodump with this?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff